Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I tried several different ways of assigning a drive letter, including the suggestions here, but sill no answer. Can't understand it. The name (Seagate Expansion) shows up, but no way to assign a descriptor letter. The disk was formatted and the UBCD startup files show on my Sony Media Player, but nowhere else, and using this as my USB boot drive doesn't work.
Gonna be a slow process, but gives me something to do. In the meantime, am reliving some of the past... with the old Windows Systems... gonna try Win 3.11 .
You have to use the computer management console under administrative tools to assign drive letters. Here's a more detailed link, Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

UBCD that I am familiar with is an ISO file, you burn it to cd and then boot from the CD... not sure what you are referring to "UBCD startup files ". You can put it on usb but you need a tool to create a bootable flash drive.

I got lots of vintage computers, DOS 6.22/Win3.11, OS2, WIN98
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank to all for your guidance. Appreciate the specifics on recovery... As soon as I've found and saved the stuff I can still recover, I'll take a stab at fixing the 2T drive (maybe to recover many movies and TV series saved there.)
I tried several different ways of assigning a drive letter, including the suggestions here, but sill no answer. Can't understand it. The name (Seagate Expansion) shows up, but no way to assign a descriptor letter. The disk was formatted and the UBCD startup files show on my Sony Media Player, but nowhere else, and using this as my USB boot drive doesn't work.
Gonna be a slow process, but gives me something to do. In the meantime, am reliving some of the past... with the old Windows Systems... gonna try Win 3.11 .

At this point,i'm really happy it's not a $1500 Apple... I can afford to lose my refurbs, so it's not a matter of $$$. In the meantime, turning this into an AZ experiment.
With the external drive, what is happening is that Windows has saved information in the registry for USB drives you mounted, driver info, preferred drive letter, etc. I suspect if you clear all of this information, reboot, the USB drive will get a drive letter. I'm not going to tell you how to do that, though. Just explaining what I think may be going on.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #83

Found this. Maybe it will help avoid problems going back.

How to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 or 8 | PCWorld

"Keep in mind that downgrading to your older OS requires that you still have your Windows.old folder at C:\Windows.old. If you typically delete that after upgrading, or you’ve done a post-upgrade clean install of Windows 10, you’re out of luck."
Old 08-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
With the external drive, what is happening is that Windows has saved information in the registry for USB drives you mounted, driver info, preferred drive letter, etc. I suspect if you clear all of this information, reboot, the USB drive will get a drive letter. I'm not going to tell you how to do that, though. Just explaining what I think may be going on.
No guidance to offer but it sounds to me that you are taking this as an entertainment challenge and just as the move to Linux has been fun/challenging to me this sort of thing keeps the juices flowing. I think a lot of us like a challenge ( as long as we can find a way out of the maze!!!)
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #85

Ups, wrong quote. I meant that as a response to Imoldernu...
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #86
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
You have to use the computer management console under administrative tools to assign drive letters. Here's a more detailed link, Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

UBCD that I am familiar with is an ISO file, you burn it to cd and then boot from the CD... not sure what you are referring to "UBCD startup files ". You can put it on usb but you need a tool to create a bootable flash drive.

I got lots of vintage computers, DOS 6.22/Win3.11, OS2, WIN98
Thanks... I did the compmgmnt.msc thing, and now I can see the drive. Since I had accidentally formatted the 2T drive, I lost all the files, but my son has a complete backup so no loss except time.

So I did load the current UBCD (DVD from the ISOa0. It loads ubuntu files, and PartMagic,

Did this on both bricked computers, so have the linux tools. Using the file manager, on one of the computers I can see all of the windows files, but don't know what to do with them.

On the other computer, the file manager doesn't see anything but the hard drive... no files.

I also have an old Acer laptop on which I have a dual boot... Windows XP and Kubuntu.

Am afraid I don't have the patience to learn linux in fact not that much time left for anything....

.................................................. ..

What really puzzles me, is that Microsoft doesn't offer any help that I can see... the Page that came up when I lost everything said that "C:file/BCD cannot be found. Contact your administrator, or the manufacturer of your computer. "

In looking for help on Google, there are literally dozens of the better known websites... CNet, Lifehacker etc, that offer forums for the different install errors. The first post asks the question, and the answers flow fast and furiously but for all of that, almost no satisfactory answers. Nowhere did I find a program that promised a "fix".

All in all, I'm only out a few hundred dollars and my time which is exceedingly cheap. I can't believe I'm the only one to lose a computer to Windows 10, and I'm guessing that most people who have the problem, have a lot more invested.

I expect that at some future date, faced with crowd sourced complaints, that Microsoft will offer some kind of free file for installation on those computers that have an original 25 digit register code. Personally I'd prefer a few thousand dollars for "pain and suffering".

I am not into hacker tactics, but after this, I might be tempted to consider some retribution. Looking back, I made a mistake by not backing up my system, but looking back a little further... wonder why all computers don't come with a backup disk? How much did the manufacturers or Microsoft save by eliminating this safety factor? Planned obsolescence?

Anyway... up and running with Winows 7 on one computer, and Windows XP on three others. After i get bored with playing, I'll go back to Walmart on-line for another Windows 7 refurb computer for under $150... The last one was 4gig of RAM and a 1T drive for $109. maybe it's still available.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyway... up and running with Winows 7 on one computer, and Windows XP on three others. After i get bored with playing, I'll go back to Walmart on-line for another Windows 7 refurb computer for under $150... The last one was 4gig of RAM and a 1T drive for $109. maybe it's still available.
Here's a nice deal with free shipping and Win 7 Pro:

HP Off-Lease, Refurbished Black 8000 Desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Professional (Monitor Not Included) - Walmart.com
Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, these used machines are a good deal. Just Win 7 Professional 64-bit alone is $140 at Fry's store near me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow, these used machines are a good deal. Just Win 7 Professional 64-bit alone is $140 at Fry's store near me.
Yep! Goes to show you where all the off lease office machines go!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #90

Quote:
What really puzzles me, is that Microsoft doesn't offer any help that I can see... the Page that came up when I lost everything said that "C:file/BCD cannot be found. Contact your administrator, or the manufacturer of your computer. "

wonder why all computers don't come with a backup disk? How much did the manufacturers or Microsoft save by eliminating this safety factor? Planned obsolescence?
The BCD error is Boot Configuration Data, it's been wiped or corrupted. It can be repaired but you have to get into a recovery console to run commands, here's is good write up rather than me reposting all of it, How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows [10 to 20 Minutes]

The OEMs stopped providing installation media some time ago. Save a few cents on each PC and it adds up. And most people now just throw the PC away and get a new these days. However most come with an option to make an installation media set but some only provide a recovery partition on the HD with the PC.

When you get a refurbed one, they typically don't have any recover options. I get my refurbs off of ebay and they usually don't even come with the OS, I just install it myself.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #91
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
The BCD error is Boot Configuration Data, it's been wiped or corrupted. It can be repaired but you have to get into a recovery console to run commands, here's is good write up rather than me reposting all of it, How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows [10 to 20 Minutes]
Thanks... I'll try that on the one computer that stiil has that data.

This certainly has been an interesting experience.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #92

Quote:
Thanks...snip..............

.................................................. ..

In looking for help on Google, there are literally dozens of the better known websites... CNet, Lifehacker etc, that offer forums for the different install errors. The first post asks the question, and the answers flow fast and furiously but for all of that, almost no satisfactory answers. Nowhere did I find a program that promised a "fix".

I expect that at some future date, faced with crowd sourced complaints, that Microsoft will offer some kind of free file for installation on those computers that have an original 25 digit register code. Personally I'd prefer a few thousand dollars for "pain and suffering".
How much did the manufacturers or Microsoft save by eliminating this safety factor? Planned obsolescence?

When MS sells the os bare to the oem at rock bottom prices, they have absolutely no intention of providing any customer support, other than updates. Exactly the reason when you purchase a retail version OS from microsoft it is so $$$ , you are then an actual customer and at least get limited support from MS.

PS , AJA , thanks for the link, just ordered a $132 refurb. from walymart.

The machine running XP has now been demoted to offline accounting work.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote