Join Early Retirement Today

A Wonderful, Beautiful Morning
Old 04-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Spring in the midwest.

Seven AM. Just back from a 45 minute walk around the area that includes our home. Breathtaking. The grounds crew finished a perfect clean up of the lawns, and it's like walking through a golf course. Everything is so fresh and new. The many trees that line our streets are all in leafing out, and there are so many spring flowers in the yards, that it's dazzling.

Our sidewalks curve in and out, so there's always a slightly different view. The sun was coming up in the east, lighting a clear blue sky, with wispy clouds, and the full moon in the west seemed close enough to touch. All of the streets that surround our CCRC homes, have new homes.... since 1996, when this part of North Peru was changed from farmland to modern housing. Young people in the prime of life, with kids, and pride in their homes. Every lawn manicured and new plantings for this year.

Wildlife everywhere. Our giant spruce is filled with what must be many nests of tree sparrows, noisy cheeps that go through the brick wall and the thermopane window. An automatic alarm clock for the 5:45 wake up call. The bunnies love our street, as the backyards reach the full length with no fences. This year, we are inundated with robins, who seem to enjoy teasing the rabbits, and the squirrels bounce around all day long, with plenty of trees to climb. Mourning doves perch on the peaks of every fourth roof... making love coos. My avocation is bird sounds so it's a constant adventure, teasing them to watch their heads turn with a "what in the heck was that?" look. Topping off my walk was a fly-thru of a pair of ducks... uncommon in the area, and when I got back home, watched two giant crows land in our back yard. Almost as big as eagles.

I was not alone... even at this hour there are folks walking and enjoying the morning. Everyone is friendly, with g'morning greetings, and smiles that let you know they're also appreciating the new Spring.

The layout of our CCRC, with the streets lined with flowering trees, and the main buildings surrounded with colorful bushes and flowers, make the rest of the complex look inviting. Each section... apartments, assisted living, rehab, nursing home and memory unit is styled with a different architectural style that all blends to be attractive. We just love it here.

A great time to be alive. Now, time to get ready to prepare for tomorrows' dinner, when the kids will come to make the day complete.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is a great morning. Spring is springing.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is North Peru?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What is North Peru?
Peru is a town in Central Illinois. I didn't know it was big enough to think in terms of the "North" part of it.

https://goo.gl/XYvIUB

Nice post imoldernu, it made me think about some of the threads on people wanting to get away from areas with a long winter. While this might sound a little like the joke about why the guy was hitting his hand with a hammer, and answers "because it feels so good when I stop", but I think there is something extra special about these first warm days when you've had a long winter. I do actually like the change. I think it makes you appreciate it all the more.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice! It is pouring rain this morning, and the heat is still on, but it is clear that spring is coming very, very soon. Lots of noisy birds, fat robins, grass with just a tiny touch of light green, hostas poking up. I love this time of year, too.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is by far my favorite time of the year. Everything is so green and alive. Thanks for the post you shamed me - my old pooch and I are going for a walk this morning. We will take in the sounds, smells and activities of spring and enjoy it all.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
We just love it here.

A great time to be alive.
Wonderful!

It's so nice to read a post from someone who is happy with their life, and has such a positive attitude.

Our second home is on the beach in Maine. This is the time of year when friends and neighbors have returned from their snow-birding, the restaurants are all opening, and it's all that much more fun to be outside.

Life is good.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is a lovely time of year, isn't it? Our daffodils have been blooming for a week or two, early camellias in full bloom, roses starting to put off shoots. Finally warm enough to start planting our garden!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

OT, but pacergal's tag line, Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime., always make me think of this:

Quote:
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Congratulations "moldy". Your piece reminds me of a friend from Dana Point who posts every day about her life in PV. She is blessed because of how she thinks!