A year later...another fence installation to deal with

At last....

Yay!..:dance:

I heard some sort of metal cutting noise outside just now. I looked out back and the fence guy is out there with the recently-installed encroaching fence sections all torn apart.

Hopefully, he'll install the fence either on the property line or a little inboard on the neighbor's property.

omni

You may want to go out there as the work progresses to make sure it is done correctly.... but tread lightly.

You may want to go out there as the work progresses to make sure it is done correctly.... but tread lightly.

Not sure how to tread lightly..."Hey, I see you're relocating the fence. Have you seen my survey stakes out here somewhere?" :LOL:

omni

I guess I was thinking of my overbearing neighbor from hell who would hover over the whole process.... it's fine to just see where they are relocating the fence and if they are still putting it on your property to steer them in the right direction.

Use binoculars. Just be discreet and not creepy. :)

I think you could make a valid argument that using binoculars is creepier than just going out there. :D

By the time I got a jacket on and went out to 'supervise', they were gone.

I did take a tape measure and cell phone along. They moved the fence post exactly 9.5 feet. :dance:

Not the most professional job...see how much the chain link portion sticks up above the horizontal bar as it runs near the tree. But hey, it's done. Next year I can plant something low maintenance along the fence to hide this eyesore.

And it's sort of funny, my yellow survey stake and the unmarked rebar one (to which I'd tied a short piece of white ribbon so I could see it) are both buried under fresh soil. I had to move the soil a bit with my fingers to barely make out the white ribbon, and my yellow stake (which I also had marked with a red flag) is under a few inches of dirt. Are they trying to hide the evidence after-the-fact? Bizarre.

Here's a distance photo of how it now looks. You can see the triangular portion of my property they had encroached upon, side 1: from from the yellow 'box' of the tape measure extending back towards the wood fence in the distance (there's a visible line in the grass) and side 2: the 9.5' length of the yellow tape measure in the foreground. side 3: the newly relocated fence (which is the hypotenuse of this right triangle.)

omni

Attachments

• relocated fence 11.6.17.jpg
    relocated fence 11.6.17.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
The proper way would be to send a camera drone out there to hover just out of reach and take video of them. Who could possibly object to that? :angel:

Wow, that was quite the encroachment. You could call your city person, who you talked to before, about the chain link fabric sticking out as it might violate code if it’s above the height limit. I’d let it go, though, and do just what you plan to do with shrubbery. Glad it worked out!

And only one supporting pole in that whole length...

If they plan on keeping an animal back there this is a point of failure...

And only one supporting pole in that whole length...

If they plan on keeping an animal back there this is a point of failure...

Agree...not the best construction-wise.

They have an adult medium-sized dog. He didn't seem very rambunctious the few times I was out there sizing things up.

I'm just happy to have my land back.

omni

Did they ask permission to go onto your property for the demo work?

I wonder why they didn't keep the top of the chain link even and trim the bottom around the tree trunk/roots? I guess the owners don't see that so it wasn't important and it would be extra work that the installers aren't getting paid for. That rise would bother me forever! I would plant something to hid it quick.

Glad you at least got your land back.

Did they ask permission to go onto your property for the demo work?

I wonder why they didn't keep the top of the chain link even and trim the bottom around the tree trunk/roots? I guess the owners don't see that so it wasn't important and it would be extra work that the installers aren't getting paid for. That rise would bother me forever! I would plant something to hid it quick.

Glad you at least got your land back.

Heck, no. No permission requested. (By now I must have a nickname... perhaps "The Bitch" ?:LOL:)

I'm guessing why that top isn't straight. The roots of the large tree are right there. Easier to do a sloppy job...especially as it's hidden from the owner's view by the tree.

Yes, the crooked fence top is further annoying me. Finding vegetation to hide the fence is a priority for 2018.

omni

No problem according to this:
Cold Hardy Bamboo

One of my neighbors has a magnificent stand here in the Cincinnati area. It really looks great.

Do not buy running unless you want it all over the place!!!

I told this to my DW and she assured me it was not... the next year we had sprouts within about a 5 ft circle, but some a bit farther... took two years to kill it all off with Roundup... have to cut the shoots and paint the top with it right away... we did not dilute it...

Running bamboo, English Ivy and Rubus armeniacus (Himalayan Blackberry) are almost impossible to control. The latter two are the bane of horticulturalists in the PNW as they grow wild.

Running bamboo, English Ivy and Rubus armeniacus (Himalayan Blackberry) are almost impossible to control. The latter two are the bane of horticulturalists in the PNW as they grow wild.
+1.

Oh, you think: "I can handle that, just get out there and nip away the newly invaded area."

Nope. You wake up one day and it is everywhere.

English Ivy sneaks up on you. Here in the Southeast, when people let it grow up the trees, it flowers prolifically. The birds love it! And then they deposit seeds all over with their own fertilizer packet. :facepalm: Native poison ivy does the same, but is less aggressive. Although I wouldn't suggest cultivating it to hide the fence. :)

My first thought was Nandina, if there is enough sun. Like bamboo, but easier to control. However, Nandina is now considered invasive in the southeast because it too has a seed vector.

Back
Top Bottom