AARP

I hope you are correct REW, it would be crazy for them to go against seniors.

I just saw this on Yahoo today but didn't look at the date. A few nights ago I thought I saw an ad on TV that they were against the cuts so I was amazed to see the article today on Yahoo.

Sorry, I guess Yahoo ran out of news for today and posted it. I neglected to look at the date of the original article.

It was confusing to me, too. I have been pretty wary about AARP for several reasons lately.

I have been pretty wary about AARP for several reasons lately.
Me too. Fortunately, they offer some excellent insurance products that help keep me warm in the winter (I burn all their mail) >:D ...

Me too. Fortunately, they offer some excellent insurance products that help keep me warm in the winter (I burn all their mail) >:D ...

+1
IMHO, they are not at all an organization that helps seniors. They are strictly interested in making money for themselves. That started when they stopped calling themselves American Association for Retired Persons and switched to simply AARP (which today stands for absolutely nothing). Their official name is simply AARP, and it is no longer an acronym.

I tend to put everything they send me back into any return envelope in the package and return it to them.

I tend to put everything they send me back into any return envelope in the package and return it to them.

In the last 12 years AARP must have spent a few hundred sending me a bunch of crap that ended up in the gargage. I wouldn't waste my money sending it back to them. I'm sure they'd just toss it anyway. (heh)

I have been doing that also after several times asking to be taken off their mailing list. I thought they would be smart enough to realize I do not want their stuff. Apparently they are not that smart, I still keep getting their trash.

In the last 12 years AARP must have spent a few hundred sending me a bunch of crap that ended up in the gargage. I wouldn't waste my money sending it back to them. I'm sure they'd just toss it anyway. (heh)

The pre-paid envelope they enclose costs them, not you the sender, so it's an easy to support the Post Office at their expense.

Another reason to make sure your dues are paid on time. It may be tough to pay with the SS cut being pushed along by our friends at AARP.

I thought they represented seniors, I knew there was a reason I quit this group.

seniors-association-benefits-cut-wsj: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I think your comments are a bit misinformed.

While AARP did recognize that some of those program probably need to be altered for the longer-term... to be viable for generations to come, I have not read anything that implied cutting benefits for current retirees or near retirees.

Here are some examples of how they are trying to influence the outcome.

aarp-launches-new-tv-ad-calling-on-congress-to-protect-medicare-and-social-security-from-harmful-cuts

https://action.aarp.org/site/SPageNavigator/notapushover

Here are a couple of commercials.... I saw one of them last night on TV.

Congress Must Prevent Harmful Cuts to Social Security and Medicare - AARP

Protect Seniors « AARP

I have been doing that also after several times asking to be taken off their mailing list. I thought they would be smart enough to realize I do not want their stuff. Apparently they are not that smart, I still keep getting their trash.
I too thought they would get the hint. I had a friend that got so annoyed at all the AARP stuff that he wrapped up a brick, taped the return envelope to the package, and dropped it in the mail box. He still gets junk from them.

I think AARP was serious when it says they supported some SS and Medicare reform. I just think what was left unsaid initially is that they expected all the pain to be inflicted on those below AARP age, and that those who are old enough to be AARP members should be exempted from sharing in any of the pain.

I personally believe AARP contributes more to generational warfare than just about any other lobbying organization.

Last edited:
I was able to stop all the soliciting from AARP several years ago with a single phone call.

I agree with chinaco:
While AARP did recognize that some of those program probably need to be altered for the longer-term... to be viable for generations to come, I have not read anything that implied cutting benefits for current retirees or near retirees.

Back
Top Bottom