Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

Harley may have the answer . I used a hypnosis tape to overcome fear of flying years ago and it worked . They do have Noise sensitivity tapes . It is worth a try .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #102
gone traveling

I have the same problem as you. We have friends with a condo in FL that had the same problem. We decided that condo living was not for us. Although our HOA of $375 was not too bad, I easily pay for all of my similar lawn, pool, etc. at our single family home for less than that.

Condos are great in many ways, but we realized that we were not meant for one... or at least not for another 20 years or so.
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I have a possible non-technical solution. Everything (except the ear plugs) that has been proposed is really expensive and potentially ineffective. You might want to try hypnosis. Noise sensitivity is right up the alley for the things hypnotists work on. DW used to have a business as a hypnotist, but had to give it up when we started snow birding. FL has some crazy anti-competitive regulations for being a hypnotist. But I've seen people work through issues like fear of bridges, tests, dentists, etc. with it. Harder issues like smoking and weight loss don't do as well, but I'd think noise sensitivity might be something you could work on. Basically it's just a matter of not being as sensitive to the sounds.

It's just a suggestion. I know analytically oriented people tend to poo poo the idea, but what have you got to lose? I've been hypnotized a number of times, and if nothing else, it's quite relaxing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Harley may have the answer . I used a hypnosis tape to overcome fear of flying years ago and it worked . They do have Noise sensitivity tapes . It is worth a try .
I just learned something. This sensitivity to noise is called misophonia.

And there are downloadable hypnosis sessions available for a very reasonable cost.

Thanks for the suggestion harley and Moemg.

Downloads (testimonial here)https://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/te...se-sensitivity

Gosh, there's even an Institute for Misophonia. Who knew?
https://misophoniainstitute.org/hypn...or-misophonia/

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sell the condo, move into a single family detached home. There will not be a single thing you can do for noise above you. You cant tell someone to not walk in their condo, or open/close drawers. Thats the biggest drawback imo of condo living. Its no different than an apartment complex. I could never go back.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Sell the condo, move into a single family detached home. There will not be a single thing you can do for noise above you. You cant tell someone to not walk in their condo, or open/close drawers. Thats the biggest drawback imo of condo living. Its no different than an apartment complex. I could never go back.
Walking and closing drawers are a normal part of every day life. Stomping on the floor and slamming drawers are easily avoidable things that should never happen when you know you have neighbors living directly below you.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Walking and closing drawers are a normal part of every day life. Stomping on the floor and slamming drawers are easily avoidable things that should never happen when you know you have neighbors living directly below you.
Some people walk heavy. Too bad so sad. I walk light, my wife doesnt. People shouldnt have to tip toe around. If you cant deal with the noise, move.

Drawers arent exactly quiet when you close them. OP needs to leave. They will never be happy living in an attached unit. Its a terrible idea. Im also one of those people who cant stand noise like described. Guess what we did? We moved! I didnt expect everyone in the building to change because of me. The entitlement needs to stop.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some people walk heavy. Too bad so sad. I walk light, my wife doesnt. People shouldnt have to tip toe around. If you cant deal with the noise, move.

Drawers arent exactly quiet when you close them. OP needs to leave. They will never be happy living in an attached unit. Its a terrible idea. Im also one of those people who cant stand noise like described. Guess what we did? We moved! I didnt expect everyone in the building to change because of me. The entitlement needs to stop.
^^^ You're overreacting and being a jerk.

OP doesn't feel entitled at all.... but she is just trying figure a solution without having to move.... but if she can't find a better solution then she plans to move.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

OP doesn't feel entitled at all.... but she is just trying figure a solution without having to move.... but if she can't find a better solution then she plans to move.
Sorry you feel that way. Im the only one being honest with OP...considering ive been there, done that.

If they have an option where they can sell and move, then move. If you do not have the pocket and are stuck, then you have to deal with it.

Even if Op would talk to them and have them wear padded slippers and to be careful closing drawers, there are going to be other noises that bother them. No question. Life is too short. Get out of dodge.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #109
Administrator

You both have made your points ...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #110

Quote:
OP needs to leave. They will never be happy living in an attached unit.
Not necessarily. I have lived, and live now, in multi-level apartment buildings where there is virtually zero noise from neighboring apartments. Building construction quality makes a huge difference.

But traffic noise, even light occasional traffic, keeps me awake so I use ear plugs for sleeping. Some brands mentioned here (Macks, Hearos) never worked for me, but Flents Quiet Please are superior. I bought a large jar & use fresh ones when needed. (They are also great for travel.) Worth a try -- those + your sound machine may create a total cocoon of blissful silence for sleeping.

In a noisy hotel without ear plugs, I found youtube videos with white noise that work for me: search for "awesome fan", "bonnet hair dryer," "ferry noise" etc. Any of those can knock me out immediately.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #111

I feel OP's pain. Years ago DW and I lived in an apartment after moving to a new area while we looked for a house. The upstairs tenants always wore hard leather shoes and stomped about all evening long, to the point the dishes and glasses in our cabinets were buzzing. I asked them if they could be a bit quieter and I was immediately informed that if noise bothered me it was my fault for not getting a top-floor unit. Then the cigarette butts started showing up on our balcony, tossed down from above.

I swore we'd never live with an upstairs neighbor again.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sorry to hear of your issue, but I'm afraid any of the methods you used will not be the solution you are looking for. I've tried over the years and have vowed to never have someone living over me. I know you don't want to move, but I think that is the only answer......
Paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. Im the only one being honest with OP...considering ive been there, done that.
No need for the thread to continue, then. All the rest of us are being dishonest.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Actually, "stomper" is in a difference context in my screen name, has nothing to do with noise.
I knew some Jolly Stompers in the Bronx, any correlation?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

+1

Saying "Too bad, so sad" is about as jerky as one can get.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
+1

Saying "Too bad, so sad" is about as jerky as one can get.
Agree in the many hotels and VRBO rentals we've done some have of course not been on a top floor. The variation in noise conduction from overhead is amazing. You might literally think you hear the person breathing or you might hear absolutely nothing.

We were at a brand new Marriott and could hear a noise in our room that literally sounded like a jet engine. At 2 AM I went out in the hall and it was coming from the HVAC system located fairly close to our room. I went downstairs and got a different room where everything was fine.

The manager contacted me later and profusely apologized saying she had checked with the building engineers who examined the system and found something faulty which caused the excess noise. Also gave me a bunch of points.

Point being you can't tell about noise until you actually sleep in the place in real time.
The OP just is asking for soundproofing ideas before selling the unit.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote