Join Early Retirement Today

accoustic guitars
Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

accoustic guitars

I used to play the guitar a bit years and years ago, nothing serious.

I recently decided to pick it up again. I borrowed a beautiful old Ovation guitar. Man does it sound nice! At some point if I stick with it I will have to return the Ovation and find a guitar. I would like one with a narrower neck than the Ovation. I have small hands and the narrower the neck the better. I use nylon strings. I finger pick. I play classical, blues, folk.

Any suggestions on guitars to keep an eye out for?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If your budget is high, consider a Taylor (or at least try one out). They make excellent steel string guitars. They also manufacture Classic Guitars also. Some of the Gibson acoustics are darn nice also.

Most Classical Guitars (with plastic strings) seem to have fairly wide necks.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

My favorite picking-at-home type of guitar is the Yamaha G55 nylon string classical. Not high brow, but soft, good sound, forgiving, easy on fingers for those like me who don't play every day. I finger pick it, but can also strum it. They haven't made the 55 for at least 20 years, so they're hard to find.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, Martha, don't have any personal experience with classical guitars, but this Buy Yamaha CG151C Cedar Top Classical Guitar online at Guitar Center guitar looks like a possible candidate.

Quote:
The craftsmen at Yamaha specially redesigned the guitars in their CG series with slightly thinner sides and back as well as a thinner finish to deliver better sound response. These instruments also have thinner necks to increase playability, and are slightly lighter in weight, offering greater volume as well as extended comfort. The overall results are instruments that deliver a mature, balanced tone throughout their entire range with exceptional quality, durability and cost performance.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Yammer CG151C looks like a possibility, I'll see if I can try one. I also see a number of G55s on sale through eBay, but I wouldn't want to buy without playing it first.

I am very fond of the Ovation's unique sound. . .but I need to work on hand strength. I am having a tough time barring chords.Either lots of practice, lower action or a smaller neck. Maybe.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Yammer CG151C looks like a possibility, I'll see if I can try one. I also see a number of G55s on sale through eBay, but I wouldn't want to buy without playing it first.

I am very fond of the Ovation's unique sound. . .but I need to work on hand strength. I am having a tough time barring chords.Either lots of practice, lower action or a smaller neck. Maybe.
Can't say that I share your fondness for Ovations, but c'est la vie...

Practice will certainly help. Also, you can lower the action on many acoustics by sanding the bottom of the bridge. Do this gradually, of course; too low, and you'll introduce string buzz.

Anyway, here's some acoustic inspiration. Note how Paco is the only finger-picker in the group.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #7

I have an old Martin OO-28C that you might like. It used to be played by a small-framed woman. I never liked it, but I don't play as much as hack. And I prefer hacking on steel strings and a larger guitar.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I used to play the guitar a bit years and years ago, nothing serious.

I recently decided to pick it up again. I borrowed a beautiful old Ovation guitar. Man does it sound nice! At some point if I stick with it I will have to return the Ovation and find a guitar. I would like one with a narrower neck than the Ovation. I have small hands and the narrower the neck the better. I use nylon strings. I finger pick. I play classical, blues, folk.

Martha, I played guitar before I took up drums. 2 things you might do- go to big store and look at Ovations- my memory is that some of them have the narrowest necks going. Classical guitars OTOH will tend to have wide necks, because they are designed for playing note by note and need more space on the fingerboard. Second, take whatever you choose to a skillful guitar mechanic who can set it up for you by being sure that all the frets are even, that the bridge is a comfortable height, etc. This usually costs very little- maybe $50-$75.

Ha
Old 09-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I know the classicals tend to have wider necks, but with my small hands I can finger a tighter space than most. The Ovation I am playing has a relatively standard two inch neck. I am coming to the conclusion I am wimped out and just need to practice. Unfortunately, my left hand cramps up pretty fast.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've heard some good things about Line 6 guitars from someone who uses them. Don't really know if they're what you're looking for, but thought I'd add to the discussion.
Line 6 :: Products
Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #11

OK, one word. CARVIN
You'll have about 1.7" at the nut.

Think Paco or Bru.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner View Post
OK, one word. CARVIN
You'll have about 1.7" at the nut.

Think Paco or Bru.
Have never played a Carvin guitar, but I will vouch for their amps.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Can't say that I share your fondness for Ovations, but c'est la vie...
What, you don't appreciate the wonders of plastic?

Quote:
Anyway, here's some acoustic inspiration. Note how Paco is the only finger-picker in the group.

Beautiful.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
I also see a number of G55s on sale through eBay, but I wouldn't want to buy without playing it first.
If you find a G-228, play that, it's the replacement for the G-55 and plays pretty much the same, though I don't think it sounds quite as good.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What, you don't appreciate the wonders of plastic?
Plastic is a marvel of modern technology!

Quote:
Beautiful.
My sentiments exactly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic.JPG (14.2 KB, 59 views)

Old 09-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Anyway, here's some acoustic inspiration.

I'm not sure if that is inspiration or if it would drive a mere mortal to give up guitar completely in frustration.

Saw them in Chicago on their first tour together, same basic set as the 'Friday Night in San Francisco" CD. Just jaw-dropping amazing. There must have been 100 separate occasions that I was just in disbelief that humans could do that.

To see three people on stage at the same time with that level of musicianship was just unbelievable. Thanks for the reminder.

I think I'm gonna sit in front of my Magna-pans and give the CD a listen.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #17

HFWR, that was great. Going over to Sam Ash guitars in a bit to play some.

Here's something you'll enjoy. Especially listening to Jean Luc talk at the breakoff.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
If your budget is high, consider a Taylor (or at least try one out). They make excellent steel string guitars. They also manufacture Classic Guitars also. Some of the Gibson acoustics are darn nice also.

Most Classical Guitars (with plastic strings) seem to have fairly wide necks.

Agree with chinaco. I've been playing since I was about 14 or about 42 years and have had and played all kinds of acoustics and electrics. Currently playing a Taylor 814CE and a Fender strat. Buying a decent acoustic with low action will make your playing much more enjoyable. But the bottom line is, go play a bunch and buy the one you like. Also the market for used instruments is huge.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha,

I don't have any experience with classical guitars, but I would agree with others who have suggested you take your time, play as many as possible (even ones you might not think you'd be interested in), and find what you like. I would also suggest that you see as many acoustic performers as possble to get a feel for how different guitars sound "out front". You don't have to go with a prestigious brand to get the sound and feel that's right for you, though the big names do make some beautiful instruments. Personally I don't care for the Ovation sound, and the round back side doesn't work very well with my round front side. But that's the beauty... everyone has their own taste. I currently play a Takamine EAN10C (dreadnought) and a have a Taylor 314 CE-LTD (grand auditiorium size) for backup. The Taki is not something most players drool over, but it has a fairly thin and narrow neck, great action, and I like the sound a lot.

Happy plucking!

-AJ
Old 09-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't play, but DH has 3 Martins. It's his expen$ive hobby.

Our favorite is Phil Keaggy:

cj is offline   Reply With Quote