Acheological find at Coney Island

A 140-year-old hot dog? Can they prove this forensically? So much for the oft-stated claim that the hot dog was invented at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis...

1 Hot Dog, and hold the...um...oh never mind. :LOL:

Should I hop the Amtrak and go do an investigative report for the forum ? :cool:

Only in metropolitan NY would people get this excited over "a find" like this...:nonono:

I'm not clear on how the ice remained frozen for 140 years.

We used to go to Coney Island when I was a kid. It was always exciting when we first saw the parachute jump tower rise over the horizon. You can see it in that first clip.

Anyone else go? Remember the steeplechase ride?

Anyone else go? Remember the steeplechase ride?
Yes, I remember riding it with my late uncle. It's the kind of ride that would not pass any safety check these days. Remember if you fell off, it was quite a drop (as I remember it from back circa 1955 - when I was 7 years old).

Also liked the big slide (there were two indoor slides) and the one that had a dozen or so of spinning "tops" on the floor; you came down a chute next to the big slide (on your back) and you were shot around the floor.

Also the Virginia Reel was quite unique (in its day)...

Ah, yes. Steeplechase Park was my favorite place to go as a kid. I lived near the Brighton Line (subway, although it was elevated in that part of Brooklyn), and it was a short ride to the end of the line at Coney Island.

To this day, I salivate at the thought of a Nathan's hot dog, and most especially their unbelievably good fries.

A 140-year-old hot dog? Can they prove this forensically? So much for the oft-stated claim that the hot dog was invented at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis...

I thought that was the ice cream cone. :)

My aunt's stolen purse was found in a demolished restaurant wall forty years after it went missing. The police went to the trouble of tracking her down and returning it, never did catch the perp.

If the walls could speak.

Back
Top Bottom