Acorns are back

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just heard some acorns falling on my roof from the oak trees. Not usually a big deal, but last year there were no acorns in large parts of Virginia and the northeast. This was the first time anyone had seen that, and the poor squirrels were starving and eating just about anything they could find, including pieces of wood siding on the house. This year I'm glad to see the acorns are back!

There back and there is a lot of them here in Minnesota
The lady across the street brings out her wet dry vac and sucks them up off the lawn.

We always have a bumper crop of nuts on our oak tree, and usually have oodles & loads of nuts on the walnut tree as well. And those dag-blasted, bushy-tailed tree rats scamper from the oak tree in the front, across the roof to the walnut tree in the back....back and forth....all day long...from early morning 'til dark!!! It sounds like a herd of friggin' elephants tromping across the roof!

Then those fuzzy little rodents dig all over the gardens and containers to bury their nuts, and destroy our plants in the process....the dirty rotten fleabags! So now I just use those critters for target practice, and then bury [-]their nuts[/-] their carcasses out back.
violent-smiley-043.gif

:D

I think it was just a bust cycle, a natural result of the recent bubble in squirrel population. Squirrels don't do well in a year without acorns, but oaks (multi-hundred year life spans) wouldn't even notice the blip. Sort of a comment on LTBH vs. day trading, don't you think? ;)

Made me look...there is an abundance of tiny acorns on the 20 foot pin oak in my front yard. They are maybe 1/4" in size.
I don't remember if there were any on the tree last year. :confused:

BTW, the walnut tree in the back that usually has bushels of nuts on it every year, only has about a dozen nuts this year. Thank heavens!!! Ahhh, but the oak tree...it be LOADED to the gills!!! :rant:

I wonder if my least favorite squirrel will be back? The one who would wait for me to sit on the slider under the oak tree, then run up and start bombarding me with acorns from the top of the tree? I would pick up the acorns and throw them back at the squirrel but the sneaky little &*^* would hide behind the branches. Well, with the acorns back I hope the little devil is back too.

Not many nuts this year, but some. Good year for the red oaks here but all I have is white oaks overhanging the house. Last year was a total bust: not one. 2 year ago we had a bumper crop and I remember their bombardment sounding like a war zone.

Free to canoe

Yeah for the squirrels! DH and I bought lots of food for them last year due to the shortage here in Northern VA. Hopefully, they'll be in knee deep in acorns this fall:)

I've had a few pecans fall in the last couple of weeks. Early for here. But they are pretty green. Squirrels are enjoying them.

Our oaks have a lot more acorns than in previous years. The squirrels are going crazy running along the branches, knocking acorns to the ground. I have a few deer under the trees waiting and eating the falling nuts

Back
Top Bottom