Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Actinic Keratosis (AKs)
Old 07-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Actinic Keratosis (AKs)

http://www.skincancer.org/ak/index.php

After visiting a dermatologist recently I was advised that I has a number of AKs on various places on my body. Aks are a type of precancer that I have acquired due to many years in the out of doors with little or no attention to my skin. They say that this is a common occurance for someone my age (61) and is being taken care of by application of liquid nitrogen.

The attached is a pretty good summary of small crusty, scaly, or crumbly bump or horn on the skin surface and how it is treated.

Give yourself a self exam. If you find querstionable areas, get them taken out by the doc.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Actinic Keratosis (AKs)
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if you don't mind i'm just gonna save this one under my microsoft internet explorer favorites file named "getting old sucks".

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #3

For people with fair skin, they can start to show up in their 30s or 40s. So any age bracket can be on the watch for them.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just had about 18 of them frozen of last week. DW had to have a big one on her back cut out. Better to catch them before they get that big. The freezing was not a big deal...it is like a cold burn (really!) that scabs over and then heals up in about a week or so. No shots required. But they can only do that when they are small. Bigger than a pencil erase in size requires cutting out so get them before they get that big.

Yucky to discuss but far better than dying from skin cancer.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Just had about 18 of them frozen of last week. DW had to have a big one on her back cut out. Better to catch them before they get that big. The freezing was not a big deal...it is like a cold burn (really!) that scabs over and then heals up in about a week or so. No shots required. But they can only do that when they are small. Bigger than a pencil erase in size requires cutting out so get them before they get that big.
Stop, stop! TMI.*

And I see this stuff all day long!*

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm 65 and have spent a lot of time outside. Nevertheless, I got my first of these burned away last August. Only a few, and I don't see any new ones.

ThE derm thought I also had a basal cell ca, but it turned out not to be that, but some sort of benign keratosis. I was glad.

Ha
Old 07-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Chronic sun exposure is the cause of almost all AKs. Sun damage to the skin accumulates over time, so that even a brief exposure adds to the lifetime total. The likelihood of developing AK is highest in regions near the equator. However, regardless of climate, everyone is exposed to the sun. About 80 percent of solar ultraviolet (UV) rays can pass through clouds. These rays can also bounce off sand, snow, and other reflective surfaces, giving you extra exposure.
Kids, wear a hat and use sunscreen!

wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I have had 4-5 frozen off too. I need to go back soon for an inspection. If you have any moles exposed to the sun, you better watch those close too. I have a buddy who had one cut off his face and it turned out to be melanoma. They had to go back and take a huge plug out of his face. Plastic surgery made him look pretty normal again. He then had to take a years worth of a drug called interferon. His weight went form 190 to 145 in just a few weeks. He said he felt like he had the flu and arthritis. That was 3 years ago and he is doing fine.

Again, keep a close watch on yourself. You don't want to have to go through what I saw him go through.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Lubriderm makes an SPF 15 version of their lotion that you can just apply every morning, face and arms. It sinks in, doesn't stink and doesn't burn your eyes.

It's not for the heavy duty hours on the beach but a nice way to cut your risk without having that gunky feeling everywhere.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
Lubriderm makes an SPF 15 version
Any idea how much it costs? Oil of Oley "Complete Defense" was recommended to me however a 2.5oz (SPF30) container costs about $15. Too much for me, looking for a sub that is more cost effective.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #11

Drugstore.com has a 16 oz bottle for 7.99...

I've had 2 basal cells removed and am on an every 6 month watch with my dermatologist.

A friend of mine just had a melanoma on her back and 3 lymph nodes removed and is going to start Interferon next month. Very scary.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago, I took closeup pictures of all my skin so I'd be able to refer to them if something new showed up. *If you don't want me to post them, send $10 to...

Old 07-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
A few years ago, I took closeup pictures of all my skin so I'd be able to refer to them if something new showed up. If you don't want me to post them, send $10 to...
Gee thanks, Al. NOW you tell us...http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...8658#msg158658
Old 07-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 41 and had 2 frozen off last month. They use a canister of something that when released freezes the skin. Easier than keeping LIN (Liquid Nitrogen) around. You can buy a canister at Eckerd, etc for $20 (8 or 10 applications). It is made for warts but I was told, works for this also.

job
obryanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm.

Thanks, mickeyd. Bears looking into.

Gypsy
Old 07-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #16

I just use regular sunscreen, wear a wide brimed hat and a sun protective shirt and long pants when I work outside for any length of time. I help maintain a demonstration a demonstration garden and often spend 2 or 3 hours at a time working in it.

Eucerine has a good lotion with SPF 30 that I use on my face.

Daddy O....can you provide a brand name of the canister? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

There was another brand (not eckerd brand) + Dr Scholl's. The link to Drugstore.com. This is about the price I remember

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp85809_33...rt_remover.htm
obryanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #18

Thanks, we don't have Eckerd here.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

That over the counter freezing off stuff is probably a hoot at parties. Why leave a passed out buddy depantsed on the front lawn when you can do something creative with a couple of cans of this stuff.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote