Actor Michael K. Williams Dead at 54

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/06/entertainment/michael-k-williams/index.html
For anyone who enjoyed HBO's series, The Wire, one of the unforgettable characters in that show was Omar Little played by Michael K. Williams. He was the ruthless shotgun wielding gay street thug who preyed upon big shot drug dealers instead of the little people. He also played a mobster in HBO's Boardwalk Empire.

Very sad news, and I was sorry to see his life cut short way too soon.

It seems that the demons that pursued him starting in his youth finally, and sadly, caught up with him.

A talented soul gone much too young.

MKW's performances in The Wire were terrific. Too soon gone at 54 years of age. The needle and the damage done.

Life is a lot about choices, "looks" like he made his.

Last edited:
Sad. I did like him in Boardwalk Empire.
At times, fame and/or wealth can be no match for these types of personal demons... my siblings and I have seen too many friends succumb to this.

His character on Boardwalk Empire absolutely smoldered with intense but restrained anger and made a viewer think, “Wow, what an actor.” Very sad.

His Omar character in The Wire was well acted. Enjoyed that show in large part because of that character.

His Omar character in The Wire was well acted. Enjoyed that show in large part because of that character.

+1, absolutely. One could even say that The Wire would not have been the truly great show it was without Michael K. Williams' standout performance as Omar.

On a side note, it seems like grim reaper has claimed an unusually large number of famous actors, musicians, and other celebrities in their early/mid 50s. A partial list, with age at death in parentheses:
  • James Gandolfini (51)
  • John Ritter (54)
  • Michael Jackson (50)
  • George Michael (53)
  • Bernie Mac (50)
  • Michael Clarke Duncan (54)
  • Prince (57)
  • Jerry Garcia (53)
  • Frank Zappa (52)
  • Gene Siskel (53)
  • Luther Vandross (54)
  • John Denver (53)