Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Adjustable Base Mattress Set Questions
Old 10-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #1

Adjustable Base Mattress Set Questions

I’m thinking of replacing our king bed with an adjustable mattress set and looking to get some input from anyone who has done this. I’m looking at the sets from Costco so if someone has moved to one of those, even better.

I’m looking to see how the change went and things I may need to consider. My understanding is that the set will fit inside my current frame but maybe I’m missing something. Then, I’m wondering about the sheets. Do you wrap them separately using Twin XL sheets or do you just use standard king sheets. Seems like the movement would require at least twin fitted sheets and maybe king flat sheets and comforter, etc. We also have a heated mattress pad and I’m pretty sure that would not work across the two mattresses.

Then, how do you like and use the movement. We don’t watch tv in the bedroom, but I’m thinking raising my head a bit might help some nights. I could also see raising my feet from time to time. Just wondering if it’s actually going to be worth the adjustable mechanism.

Last, if you bought from Costco, can you recommend what you bought and what you like about it? One of the things I’m worried about with the newer mattresses is that many of them say they have cooling properties. I’m not so sure about that. Me and DW don’t really like sleeping cool (hence the heated mattress pad). Is that just a gimmick or does it really prevent the mattress from warming up to body temp.

Thanks for any input. I understand a mattress is a very individual item, but I’d still appreciate some input to help me navigate this purchase.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We changed to the adjustable base this spring and like ours. We didn't get the split mattress. Our DD and DSnL, got the twin king and she said she hates it. Harder to make up bed and almost impossible to "snuggle". My DW says she likes it because it keeps "some folks" from snoring. I have no idea who she is talking about though. We didn't get ours from Costco but we went to at least 10-12 mattress stores to try out the different types. We did discover that for us we do not like the foam only type, so ours is a hybrid with the pocketed springs. The kids have the cooling type because they sleep hot-very hot. Good luck in your search.
Venturer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
We changed to the adjustable base this spring and like ours. We didn't get the split mattress.
Thanks. I didn’t realize they came without being split. I can see how having a single mattress would be easier to deal with.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The advantage to a split mattress is that one can sleep while the other sits up to read or watch TV. You said that TV is out, and one can read in a chair and then go to bed, so I probably would go without the split too, if that's available in a king.

I like the adjustable for when I'm sick because sitting up a bit helps with congestion. And overall I like the head just a little bit raised. When I tried one in the store I noticed my airway opened up more so I figured that would be really good. Maybe it was just a fluke that day or maybe it's real. Raising the feet is nice if you've been on your feet all day and they are a bit swollen.

Regarding the cooling mattress, it works for some, not for others. It helped me some as I'm a hot sleeper. But the mattress feels different. You get in and it feels hard, but your body sinks into it. Some find that helps them get a restful sleep with no tossing and turning, and you don't feel your partner moving on their side. I toss and turn anyway and I just don't find it comfortable. After trying it for a few years, I moved it to a guest room and got a new hybrid bed that doesn't adjust. When I'm sick, I go sleep in the adjustable bed.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a queen for my mother. They have a bar a the bottom to keep the mattress from shifting down when the head is raised. She likes hers and it helps her sleep apnea and breathing easier with her head raised a bit. It was also helpful that they had two options in total height of bed as she is short and needs to get in easily. I would like them to include total height adjustability, but I haven't found that yet except in hospital beds. I didn't buy from Costco.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Thanks. I didn’t realize they came without being split. I can see how having a single mattress would be easier to deal with.

But then you are giving up the flexibility of the adjustable feature...ie you both can sleep how you want to sleep.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought the Sleep Number king split mattress about 3 years ago and hated it because of the snuggle factor and extreme difficulty in making the bed. We bit the bullet or BTD and replaced the mattress with a split head only a few months ago. Love it for the same reasons we hated the split one.

I like my head raised where DH doesn't and we both love the raised feet so no problem raising both.

We also bought single unit queen adjustable for the guest bedroom. I strongly suggest, based on our experience with the guest bedroom one, buying your sheets from Sleep Number. The sheets keep popping off. The Sleep Number sheets have straps to better secure the fitted sheet.

Wrt to your existing frame, we have a sleigh bed in the master and the Sleep number fit right in. The guest bedroom frame was replaced as we had a double and went to queen.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Good topic. We have been thinking about one also, thinking the raised head would help with DH sleep apnea and snoring and my allergies/congestion. In my research though (online only) it looks like a base may not fit in our bed frame. I have not taken pictures into a bed store yet. Does anyone know or have experience fitting one into a platform frame?

We have a frame with drawers underneath, so only a small depth between the plywood base. It just fits the mattress perfectly. And there is no way I am getting rid of the bedroom set--custom made Amish bedroom set, waited 4 months for it to be made and delivered from Indiana several years ago. I love it!!
Old 10-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #9

One consideration that I haven't seen mentioned here that we HATED about the adjustable mattress. We bought a Sleep Number bed with the adjustable mechanism and used it on our existing head board furniture. For whatever reason, there was a gap (at least 3-4 inches between the top of the mattress and the headboard (I suppose needed for the movement of the top of the mattress). This gap drove us crazy as our pillows to slide down into the gap during the night.
After several attempts by Sleep Number to rectify this issue, we finally gave up and got rid of the mattress and frame.
We will not try an adjustable again.
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Good topic. We have been thinking about one also, thinking the raised head would help with DH sleep apnea and snoring and my allergies/congestion. In my research though (online only) it looks like a base may not fit in our bed frame. I have not taken pictures into a bed store yet. Does anyone know or have experience fitting one into a platform frame?

We have a frame with drawers underneath, so only a small depth between the plywood base. It just fits the mattress perfectly. And there is no way I am getting rid of the bedroom set--custom made Amish bedroom set, waited 4 months for it to be made and delivered from Indiana several years ago. I love it!!
Most, if not all, take the place of a bed frame. Maybe you could put a wedge or something under the top of the mattress to give you a slightly, though unadjustable raised head.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

RunningBum--Thank you, great idea! Never thought of that to try.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #12

I got the Costco adjustable. The mattress is Sleep Science. To me, it's a little too firm -- and I've slept all my life on firm mattresses (wife-to-be called my old mattress "the monk's pallet").

A topper pad might help, and I should get one.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #13

I‘ve always said there are two things I could never live without: my adjustable bed and my bidet.

We have two Leggett and Platt adjustable beds. A split CA king and a Queen. Both have been very reliable and we’ve had them for close to ten years now. Leggett and Platt was one of the first companies to make an adjustable bed and they’ve been making them now for decades. They are all built in the United States.

The units at Costco are probably fine. They are built in China but that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with them. And you can’t go wrong with a purchase at Costco.

I personally like the split king because we each have different positions that suit us, and I like to read in bed. If I had to do it over again I would go for the regular king rather than California king. A split CA king requires special sheets. Amazon does sell them and we’ve been lucky to find sets for around $50 each. If you buy them in the stores they can go for $200+. And yes, a split bed does make it harder to cuddle.

A regular king can be outfitted with twin XL’s which are much easier to find and less expensive. And the bed is wider so more room to spread out. CA king is only necessary if one of you is very tall.

If you are interested in the Legget and Platt beds, there is one small reseller that sells them for less than anyone else. We bought our set from him and he was very good to work with. Everything is drop shipped from the manufacturer and covered by their warranty so the reseller you buy it from isn’t all that important. Here is a link to his website:

https://richmondbedding.com/

Even if you don’t buy from him it’s worth taking to him. He’s a walking encyclopedia with regards to adjustable beds and very low key.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I bought the sleep number queen where the head raises. I bought deep pocket sheets and they work great. I bought a new headboard from them. I love it.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
... ...
We have two Leggett and Platt adjustable beds. A split CA king and a Queen. Both have been very reliable and we’ve had them for close to ten years now. Leggett and Platt was one of the first companies to make an adjustable bed and they’ve been making them now for decades. They are all built in the United States.
... ...
The Sleep Number bases are made by L&P.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
The Sleep Number bases are made by L&P.
They may be but I don’t think there is any way of confirming with Costco who the actually manufacturer is. Sleep Science is sold exclusively through Costco so there is very little information out there about it. This review indicates they have multiple manufacturing partners, both in China and the US.

https://www.bestmattressreviews.com/...ience-mattress

But regardless, I don’t think the product is any better or worse if it’s made in China. And Costco has a pretty much unlimited return policy so I don’t think you can go wrong if you like one of their models. It looks like a few of the Sleep Science bed and mattress combos are currently on sale too.

At the sale price I would not hesitate to go with the Costco purchase. I don’t think you will find a better deal if you like both the base and the mattress.

If you just want the base, I would look at the reseller I listed above.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Adjustable bed frames are not created equal, and the Leggett and Pratt is the one to buy. We got ours at BedInABox.com for the cheapest price online at the time. We have had no problem whatsoever with it with many years usage.

Conventional mattresses don't work and a memory foam or hybrid mattress is required. We too got a superior quality memory foam mattress at BedInABox.com.

Let me warn you about the bedding business, especially companies like Sleep Number. It is a high profit margin business. My buddy owns one of those operations and we couldn't do business with him.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:42 PM   #18

Thanks for the input. Discussing options with DW before we get serious about our shopping.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:54 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The first sleep number bed we bought is now 15 years old and still perfect. My ex took it when we split. The beds last forever as long as you can get the parts. My chiropractor has one that’s 23 years old. That one wasn’t adjustable so literally nothing to wear out but the pump.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote