Join Early Retirement Today

Adjustable Beds & Mattresses (Purple?)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Adjustable Beds & Mattresses (Purple?)

DW and I are considering a new King Size bed, as ours is getting "long in the tooth". She would really like an adjustable bed as she has some medical issues that could benefit from head and foot elevation. Two questions for the group - one about adjustable beds and one about mattresses.....

Regarding adjustable beds - we're thinking about a "split king" adjustable (two twin XL mattresses). That would allow us to adjust each side independently, which we like. Our sleep patterns are different enough, that we don't think we can compromise on one elevation level and stick with it - fear that one of us is sound asleep and all of a sudden we're "adjusted" into wakefulness. So does anyone have any experience with "split king" adjustables? Downside is that it's much more expensive than a regular king.

Regarding mattresses, we looked at a Serta (Silver Chill Plush) mattress

https://www.mattressfirm.com/sealy/h.../mfi134720.htm

which we liked a lot -it's a "hybrid" (inner spring coils with memory foam on top) and was price-reasonable (the pure memory foam's are too pricey). Heard several people recommend the Purple mattresses, however, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks very much
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We purchased an adjustable queen frame and a Serta hybrid mattress about 4 years ago. We have not used the adjustment very much, but it’s handy to have. The mattress was still a little form for me, but DW liked it. We added another foam topper which made it perfect.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

Following this. Me and DW are in the same situation. Thinking about the split king with adjustable base as long as it will fit inside our existing bed frame.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We purchased a Sleep Number 2.5 years ago. Split mattresses with head and foot adjustments. While we both love the sleep number mattress, we regret purchasing the split mattresses.

I wish we had purchased a 'half split' mattress in that the bottom half is a solid king mattress and the top half is split allowing for head adjustments which both DH and I use all the time.

I don't use the foot adjustments because I'm only 5'5" and using both head and foot doesn't work for me. It does for DH, however, he rarely uses the foot adjustment. Buy wedge pillows if you need food adjustments!!!

The mattresses migrate to the outside and you end up with a huge gap between the mattresses. I looked into buying a wedge for the middle, however, ALL the reviews panned them. They simply don't work.

We have a sleigh bed and making both beds are a nightmare. First time, I broke several nails...painful, painful painful.

Hope this helps.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Following this. Me and DW are in the same situation. Thinking about the split king with adjustable base as long as it will fit inside our existing bed frame.
It should fit inside your frame. What they did with our sleigh bed is remove the slats the mattress sits on and installed their own.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #6

Forgot to add: when DH and I get amorous, we not so jokingly ask 'your place or mine' .
Old 03-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You cannot put just any mattress on an adjustable bed.

We've bought three memory foam mattresses from BedInABag.com, a great mail order company out of Johnson City, TN. Their foam is BASF, and far superior to the memory foam coming out of China.

They don't appear to be selling he Leggett and Platt adjustable beds any longer. But I suggest you go online and find one for sale. They're simply the best. My wife's used her's for probably 15 years and the Magic Fingers is still even working. Remote control's the only way to go.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
DW and I are considering a new King Size bed, as ours is getting "long in the tooth".
Regarding mattresses, we looked at a Serta (Silver Chill Plush) mattress

https://www.mattressfirm.com/sealy/h.../mfi134720.htm

which we liked a lot -it's a "hybrid" (inner spring coils with memory foam on top) and was price-reasonable (the pure memory foam's are too pricey).

Thanks very much
I went with a hybrid mattress on last replacement a year ago.

I got a Wink Bed hybrid mattress, combination of pocketed innerspring coils and topped with various layers of foam. www.winkbeds.com
Be aware, they pretty much always run a $300 discount offer code off of published prices.

I have had it a year now, and I sleep like a baby on it. No more back aches like I got from my old all foam Beautyrest mattress which had cost twice as much, but started giving the aches after 7 or 8 years. The wink mattress comes with a 120 day no hassle tryout period. If for any reason you don't like, they will pick it up and give full refund. They also will give you the option, if you want a mattress refresh 8 or 10 or more years down the road, you can get a wink replacement then for half price.

I had tried the Saatva brand hybrid first, but returned it under their refund guarantee three months later. It seemed like it had a soft spot about 1/4 the way across the width of the mattress. I must say, however, they fully honored the tryout and refund policy no hassle. So I did, and ordered the Winkbeds brand mattress and having been sleeping soundly ever since.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We are thinking of an adjustable bed for our next one. Our current tempurpedic is comfortable, but DH needs to slightly elevate after about 6 hours sleep due to back pain.
Can you fit the adjustable frame into another bed frame? We have a custom made Amish bedroom set that I will not get rid of!
the upper split King sounds like the best option, but obviously needs specialty sheets.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
We are thinking of an adjustable bed for our next one. Our current tempurpedic is comfortable, but DH needs to slightly elevate after about 6 hours sleep due to back pain.
FWIW, you can get a wedge pillow that will raise your shoulders a few inches. Your regular pillow goes on top of that. I've used one for many years (for my sinuses) and like it a lot.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, you can get a wedge pillow that will raise your shoulders a few inches. Your regular pillow goes on top of that. I've used one for many years (for my sinuses) and like it a lot.
Do you slide off/down at night though? I've considered something like that as I have a slight shoulder injury that nags at me at night, but if I even double pillow I wake up half way down the bed.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Do you slide off/down at night though? I've considered something like that as I have a slight shoulder injury that nags at me at night, but if I even double pillow I wake up half way down the bed.
No, that's why the wedge works well for me. I have the same problem when I use multiple pillows in a hotel bed, but at home the wedge works perfectly, at least for me. They don't cost much, so you might want to try one. I know Bed Bath & Beyond carries them, so probably other stores do as well.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
...back aches like I got from my old all foam Beautyrest mattress which had cost twice as much, but started giving the aches after 7 or 8 years.
This is where I'm at today with my queen size Tempurpedic. I adopted a dog a few weeks ago, and I've been sleeping on the couch to be near her. My couch is older than my mattress and sprung in the middle, but guess what, no back ache in the morning. The best night's sleep I've had on a different mattress was at a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza that had just been renovated. When I got home I looked up their mattresses and they were a hybrid design at that time. When I get up the energy to go mattress shopping, a hybrid is what I'm going to target.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #14

We have the split king adjustable Casper bed and mattresses. I was very apprehensive about getting it, but DH really wanted it. We have had it about 2 years and we love it. We both sleep so much better and do not disturb the other one when we have to get up during the night. We start out in his bed snuggling and sometimes I wake up between 3 and 4 and go over to my side of the bed. They are a pain to make, especially since I have short arms, but DH helps me with it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #15

Our friends really like their Purple mattress, after trying some others. I, too, am looking forward to comments on Purple brand mattresses, since we are considering getting one.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
We have the split king adjustable Casper bed and mattresses. I was very apprehensive about getting it, but DH really wanted it. We have had it about 2 years and we love it. We both sleep so much better and do not disturb the other one when we have to get up during the night. We start out in his bed snuggling and sometimes I wake up between 3 and 4 and go over to my side of the bed. They are a pain to make, especially since I have short arms, but DH helps me with it.
The split in the bed doesn't bother you as you're moving from one of the mattresses to the other...??
Old 03-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Our friends really like their Purple mattress, after trying some others. I, too, am looking forward to comments on Purple brand mattresses, since we are considering getting one.
We have tried LOTS of beds as my DW is famously choosy due to pain issues

We returned on of those bed in a box types. Then we got the purple bed. The highlights:

-Material quickly outgassed (DW sensitive to foam or rubber).

-Amazingly comfortable. Firm but not hard. Very supportive. I can sleep anywhere, but I love the bed and so does DW.

-When you move on it, the design minimizes impact on bed partner.

The only negative we found was it is dense and heavy, a minor issue when you are moving it into place (we had to slide the king bed still in bag up our stairs, awkward but doable). I think it is around 150 pounds. But it is compressed so it is more maneuverable than a conventional mattress (until you open it).

Now we do not use any head or foot adjustments Not sure any impacts there.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:52 AM   #18

We have a 100% natural latex that we got on line from Plushbeds. They give you up to 100 nights of trial with free shipping and free return shipping. They are heavy but we have had it for 6 years and still love it.
It also has organic cotton cover and a 1" layer of New Zealand wool as a top layer just under the cover that acts as a fire retardant rather than having to rely on a chemical solution that many mattresses use. It also breathes very well with this layer.
I don' know if latex versions are suitable to adjustable beds because they are very heavy.
2 sites with excellent reviews comparisons of types etc are:

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/
https://www.themattressunderground.com/
This is the one we have.
https://www.plushbeds.com/products/t...18770039177314
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:59 AM   #19

Last year we considered this.

First we thought about one solid piece adjustable mattress but realized we both might want the thing adjusted differently.

Then with the split we didn’t like the “seam” in the middle- obviously needed since it’s a split.

Plus we thought once you find the right position how often are you going to adjust it?

We also do not watch TV in bed. And I didn’t like that making the bed each day would be a pain imo.

And the price! Yikes!

So we went with a standard Serta I Comfort King foam mattress. Less expensive, too. And our sheets we already had fit so did not ha e to purchase new ones.

We bought two My Pillows and we use two foam pillows we already had under them for elevation.

I used to use a wedge pillow that went from my waist up ( for acid reflux) but decided what’s the point of a new mattress if half your body is not directly on it? So I tossed it.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
The split in the bed doesn't bother you as you're moving from one of the mattresses to the other...??
It doesn't bother me and I am the one that has always moved. My DH is bigger and he might have a harder time doing it. What bothers me is that my mattress is cold when I go over to it.

We bought the top of the line and they brought it to our house and set it up for us.

I sleep with my side completely down, but DH raises his slightly. We will raise our bed up if we are watching TV in the bedroom or if I want to read.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote