Adult security blankets

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There have been mentions here of thunder vests for anxious dogs. And now there's something similar for adults...weighted blankets.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/o...ment-of-a-weighted-blanket-in-an-anxious-time

Maybe they're onto something. During winter in Northern climes, I always preferred the weight of several quilts to a lightweight down comforter. Plus I could adjust the number of quilts, as needed, to maintain my ideal thermal comfort level.

omni

It’s not one of these official weighted blankets, but my father has been doing this for about ten years. He can’t sleep without his knitted afghan over whatever other blankets are provided. We (semi) jokingly call it his “blankey”, like my daughters had when they were toddlers.

Here again I'm an outlier. Only on the coldest nights will I have more than a sheet, possibly a light fleece blanket. And don't bother tucking in the top sheet as I like to stick my feet out on warm nights.

There have been mentions here of thunder vests for anxious dogs. And now there's something similar for adults...weighted blankets.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/o...ment-of-a-weighted-blanket-in-an-anxious-time

Maybe they're onto something. During winter in Northern climes, I always preferred the weight of several quilts to a lightweight down comforter. Plus I could adjust the number of quilts, as needed, to maintain my ideal thermal comfort level.

omni
Is this a joke?

Though some years ago, after my wife decamped, I refused to heat my country house, so I was forced to pile anything I could find on me when I went to bed. Nice Chesterfield overcoats that I hadn't worn since I came west, a WW2 US Army sleeping bag that wife(then girlfriend) and I had shared on lots of sleep outs. Often enough my glass of water at bedside was iced over by morning. As I remember, I did sleep better, and on a reduced vodka ration. It would take awhile for me to dig out each morning. I attributed my better sleep to being warm in a freezing room, but maybe it was instead due to the weight

Ha

As a kid the furnace blew very hot dryair down on my bed. I turned off that vent and my room was very cold. I slept under a very heavy quilt my grandmother had made. Never slept so well.

Last edited:
These blankets reminded me of something, and I couldn't figure out whaat it was...until just now.

When getting dental Xrays, while chomping down on the stiff cardboard gouging in to my cheek, I am covered by a rather heavy "blanket" to shield my body from the radiation. Thinking back, I find the sensatioon of the heavy "blanket" to be quite comfortable. I imagine these weighted blankets might produce a similar sensation.

omni

We have a heated waterbed, so no real need for blankets (or PJs for that matter).

_B

We have a heated waterbed, so no real need for blankets (or PJs for that matter).

_B

I'm curious, does it 'slosh' (aka tide goes out) when one person gets up?

omni

_B

LOL...TMI:confused:

I love a pile of blankets in a cool room. I stick my foot out the side to regulate temps. I really like the weight of the blankets

Hmmm.....that is interesting.

No matter how hot it is, I have to have something covering me when I sleep. I feel safe....my cover is the barrier between me and the boogie man. Not sure I could sleep with a 20lb blanket on me tho.

Our furnace quit working in the coldest south Texas night a few weeks ago. It was going to be two days before Mr Furnace Man could stop by.

It got to the mid 30's those nights and as low as 61 in the house (better than I expected). I slept fine with my usual thin sheet over me while DW had a stack of heavy blankets. She was not that gleeful in the morning after giving up the heavy blankets so I guess the heavy blankets are not much of a help to her.

The pack

On weekends when I am free to nap on the couch, I often wake up after an hour to find 140 pounds of warm dogs napping atop me. The heavy canine blanket is both reassuring and relaxing.

The film “Temple Grandin” is an interesting view of the calming effect of touch and pressure... although the contraption she uses is a lot more elaborate than a heavy blanket...

Hmmm.....that is interesting.

No matter how hot it is, I have to have something covering me when I sleep. I feel safe....my cover is the barrier between me and the boogie man. Not sure I could sleep with a 20lb blanket on me tho.

Me too!

This is intriguing. The DW adds a second blanket and then "tucks" it in around her. She might be a candidate for one of these.

I have temperature sensors in different rooms around the house (tied into SmartThings). My bedroom quite frequently gets to 52 degrees at night, but I am toasty warm with sheet + 2 regular + 2 down comforters. The down comforters are on top, they do better when not compressed.

I can remember how much tight swaddling calmed my infant sons. May be in some way related to this effect that we are discussing in this thread.

Ha

Here again I'm an outlier. Only on the coldest nights will I have more than a sheet, possibly a light fleece blanket. And don't bother tucking in the top sheet as I like to stick my feet out on warm nights.

Me, too! I could have written this myself.

Me, too! I could have written this myself.

Hey, I, no we are not outliers after all.

PS. And I always have a fan to blow air on my face. Drives my wife crazy, and she has to go to the other edge of the bed to escape from the fan breeze.

Wow! I may try one of these. During winter, I sleep under 3 blankets (no sheet - I don't like the feel of the sheet - I sleep on top of it not under it). Even in summer with the AC going I sleep under 2 blankets. In winter, DH has one blanket on him. So my other two I double and sleep under them with the one single layer I share with DH.

DH thinks I am nuts and wonder why I am so cold. The thing is that it isn't so much that I am cold. It is that I like the weight. If I turn up the heat and sleep under a single blanket I feel uncomfortable with the lightness. I am more cold natured than DH but if given a choice between heavy blankets and a light blanket I will always pick the heavier blanket. Honestly, if I thought I could get away with it I would sleep under 5 or 6 (which would actually though be too hot). So I love the idea of a weighted blanket. I am definitely going to look into it.

Amazon has some of these (AKA gravity blankets), various sizes and weights. Some reviewers stated that they aren't really warm...just weighty.

https://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Bla...rd_wg=CQvte&psc=1&refRID=HPFMNJD89NMZK3WGQ24C

Like others here...I stick my feet out, as they tend to be hot when I am first falling asleep...and even on the hottest nights, I still have to have to have a sheet over my torso.

I may just have to try one of these weighted blankets.

omni

According to the sleep book I read recently, your body temperature must drop significantly in order to access all healthy stages of sleep.

I'm curious, does it 'slosh' (aka tide goes out) when one person gets up?

omni

Sorry for the tardy reply...no, it has a "motionless" mattress, which due to the baffle and filler structure stays relative calm during any movement above.

We slightly adjust the temperature i..e. summer, winter, and, quite frankly, a heated mattress works wonders for sore muscles.

_B

Back
Top Bottom