Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

While my system does have recurring charges it does not need batteries.

2 Labs & 1 Papillon Corgi

If your brave enough to enter one will jump & lick your face, another will beat you silly with a tail
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's an idea for our brilliant engineers to bring to Shark Tank. Place tasers at windows and doors. Not in gun form, maybe a little box. Set it up so owner can turn on and off as needed. Alarms and cameras do not prevent a break as there is lag time for police or simply viewing the break in does not prevent it. A mask easily deters identifying the robber. If they are fast and most are, in and out in minutes. Alarm companies have to call the police, then they get in their cars or drive there from miles away.

Consider the idea a gift if anyone actually invents this.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #23

^ >>> but an unoccupied building/home it would be nice to know that something as occurred. As far as catching them in action, I agree it wouldn't happen.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago a friend was building a high end home in a very remote region. The alarm co guy says "we can release gas like your dentist uses to immobilize the bad guy until law enforcement arrives"

Friend had that option on the install but deleted as he was concerned kids would set off.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Here's an idea for our brilliant engineers to bring to Shark Tank. Place tasers at windows and doors. Not in gun form, maybe a little box. Set it up so owner can turn on and off as needed. Alarms and cameras do not prevent a break as there is lag time for police or simply viewing the break in does not prevent it. A mask easily deters identifying the robber. If they are fast and most are, in and out in minutes. Alarm companies have to call the police, then they get in their cars or drive there from miles away.

Consider the idea a gift if anyone actually invents this.

Great idea, and highly illegal most places. You risk criminal prosecution, not just civil liability.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Great idea, and highly illegal most places. You risk criminal prosecution, not just civil liability.
How is it a home owner can shoot and kill a home invader and a taser is illegal?
Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How is it a home owner can shoot and kill a home invader and a taser is illegal?

It comes down to "booby trap" laws. Feel free to use a taser on an intruder, hand to hand. But booby trap it, and the intruder has a heart attack, and you have a real problem.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
It comes down to "booby trap" laws. Feel free to use a taser on an intruder, hand to hand. But booby trap it, and the intruder has a heart attack, and you have a real problem.
Does this count? My DH booby trapped me at the kitchen sink and I almost had a heart attack.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Old 11-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Does this count? My DH booby trapped me at the kitchen sink and I almost had a heart attack.
Only if you press charges.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #31

Most home security system are really only for "Peace of mind' of the homeowner. They may act as a deterrent if you have a sign and the cameras are visible to an intruder. I have them for my own benefit.

Some of MY Reasons to install a home security system:

1) They are fun to play with.

2) It was fun installing them.

3) I can catch the deer eating my Geraniums on the front porch. They still eat them but I can see they have done it. (Past Tense as they always come at night.)

4) I can see if the water comes up high from the surrounding lakes during a storm if I am not in.

5) This is the MOST useful feature so far; I can check to see if I left the garage door open after I have left, when I am at the end of the road. So I can go back home and shut it.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #32

Quote:
If youíre home you can probably do either. Comes down to threat. If youíre not home, itís hard to argue you were in fear of your life or bodily harm.