Join Early Retirement Today

Advice needed for home security system
Old 11-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Advice needed for home security system

I did some research on this but still not sure what I want or what would be dependable product at a good price.

I would like a simple no fee or subscription security system.

Does the system notify you by text and what information does it send back?

Can any of you that have a system elaborate on what to expect and how they work?

Thanks
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Our home has a PowerMax wireless alarm system. Multiple zones, multiple sensors, is connected to our phone lines to send "alert calls" with various messages for various conditions. It was VERY easy to setup, and, completely wireless. We test it semi-annually. If you have pets, you should definitely take them into a room somewhere so they do not "cower in fear" when the alarm/siren goes off.

We paid about 150 dollars for everything. No recurring charges.
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I installed this one with 8 cameras. Very easy does all you asked. I preferred hard wired POE type Cameras as they are a lot harder to hack or jam.

https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/
Old 11-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is the web link to the PowerMax wireless alarm system we currently have installed in our home.

https://www.visonic.com/Products/Wir...ction/PowerMax
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a SimpliSafe system and a monitoring service is not required or you can sign up only when needed like when on vacation. It doesn't send out notices unless you are paying for the monitoring service. If a sensor is triggered in my system a loud siren goes off, I figured that would be good enough to scare most away. Haven't had anything go off in the +2 years I've had it except for false alarms when opening a door when the system is active.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #6

We got a German Shepard when we lived in Chicago suburbs. Slept like a baby. Always had a dog with the scary bark. Always been our security system.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here is the home screen on our 8 channel ReoLink. Very easy to use and set up too. I have it set up to monitor front, rear and some main interior entry points to our home. Being in Florida, I wanted to be able to monitor the water levels of the surrounding lakes in a storm situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9158.jpg (663.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
Our home has a PowerMax wireless alarm system. Multiple zones, multiple sensors, is connected to our phone lines to send "alert calls" with various messages for various conditions. It was VERY easy to setup, and, completely wireless. We test it semi-annually. If you have pets, you should definitely take them into a room somewhere so they do not "cower in fear" when the alarm/siren goes off.

We paid about 150 dollars for everything. No recurring charges.
We have one of these, an older version (about 8 years old). Very difficult to program. Sounds like maybe they made progress in the interface. The good news is it is a very comprehensive system and I have both wireless and wired zones, although the wired are not necessary. The wireless portion is easy to install, and the batteries in the sensors all lasted at least 5 years.

Although it can make phone calls, we decided to not use that feature.

I'd consider this system a more advanced DIY.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have Simplisafe. As stated above, the monitoring is pay as you desire, though you do not get notifications unless you are paying for monitoring. There are also several monitoring "tiers" you can choose to pay for.

The main issues I have:
- Our smoke alarm has goes off randomly for no reasons enough times to be an annoyance. I have followed all of their instructions but it still happens enough that we do not always have it activated.
- Some of the non-intrusion alarms do not give you the option of only notifying you and not the local authorities. For example, I have the water alarm to sound in case a drain outside the basement door gets clogged, which can cause water to seep up the basement door. I do not need them to call the police/fire department if it goes off, just notify me. But it cannot be set like that, it is all or nothing.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The nice thing about the PowerMax, or at least the version I have, is you could literally program every zone to do *exactly* what you want. Call or not call. Silent or not. Urgent fire zone or not. Etc. That's what made it hard to program, it had too many options with a bad UI. Hopefully the newer versions have this kind of flexibility with an easier user interface.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all that great information. I will do some research on the systems you have mentioned. I'm sure I will have a few more questions before I decide what to get.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

A woman up the street from us has a system with cameras, sensors and notifications. She recently posted to Nextdoor pix of someone who broke into her house. The system didn't stop the perp but she got to watch it happen. All in all I think a dog is more effective.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
Here is the web link to the PowerMax wireless alarm system we currently have installed in our home.

https://www.visonic.com/Products/Wir...ction/PowerMax
We also have that PowerMax system. We purchased the predecessor version of it about 15 years ago, but then replaced the system unit with the newer PowerMax+ maybe 6 years ago. The batteries in the old unit became unsealed damaging it. All of the sensors worked with the new one so all was good.

I like this system a lot because the price is very affordable, you can set it up by yourself, and it does the basics extremely well. We don't have it doing anything other than setting off the siren (which is extremely loud) if any of the wireless sensors detects something.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
A woman up the street from us has a system with cameras, sensors and notifications. She recently posted to Nextdoor pix of someone who broke into her house. The system didn't stop the perp but she got to watch it happen. All in all I think a dog is more effective.

That may be true about the dog. LOL I have had many dogs but I'm here and there and a dog would be more of a hassle to me. LOL
Old 11-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its been a couple years but when HaloFIRE was traveling a lot for work I installed a SimpliSafe system. I bought it refurbished and I was very happy with the ease of installing, the motion sensor, and the panic button key fob I chose to keep by my bedside. I intended to go out swinging and with an alarm blaring if it came down to me fighting. I did not have it monitored. I think it COULD be setup to be monitored if you wished. Interestingly you could put the door sensors anywhere you wanted and some folks used them on medicine cabinets during parties. Interesting use. a coworker had a system (don't know the name) that sent him a text every time his front door opened. I think he used it to monitor the actions of his stay at home wife vice monitor for her security and it gave me the creeps.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #16

My home security.
Him and nothing worth stealing here.IMG_20180723_172007731.jpeg
Old 11-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We just (within the last 60 minutes) got our new SimpliSafe system. I have unpacked, but not set it up yet. Was a Black Friday deal with 25% off. Maybe you can still get that deal??
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #18

I've got it covered.

guard cat.jpg
Old 11-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
We just (within the last 60 minutes) got our new SimpliSafe system. I have unpacked, but not set it up yet. Was a Black Friday deal with 25% off. Maybe you can still get that deal??
Based on my personal experience where possible use the screws to hold the sensors in place instead of the included tape. I had a couple of the SimpliSafe window/door sensors that became unstuck and found them on the floor.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

HAs anyone used the Blink Security Camera System? Price is right just wondering if they seem to work fine and what are the draw backs.