Advice on a good $10 bottle wine

streamjp

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi all,

Looking for all suggestions for white or reds in the $8 to $11 range. My wife and I go through about 2-3 bottles per week and this is our price range for now.

Thanks in advance

From Consumer Reports:

Best Wines for $10 or Less:

Cabernet Sauvignon
- Columbia Crest Grand Estates Columbia Valley Washington
- Rosemount Estates Shiraz- Cabernet Australia

Chardonnay
- Alamos The Wines of Catena Mendoza , Argentina
- Stone Cellars by Beringer California

Merlot
- Concha y Toro Casillero Del Diablo Chile
- Bogle Vinyards California

Pinot Grigio
- Hogue Columbia Valley Washington

- McManis Family Vineyards California

Riesling
- Covey Run Columbia Valley Washington

Zinfandel
- Rancho Zabaco Dancing Bull California

If you can find terra australus the shiraz, chardonnay or the cab they are all between 5 and 7 dollars a bottle as good as the 8 to 11 dollar wines. Trader Joes sells it.

You cant really go wrong with Yellowtail, any varietal.

You might also try the Black Box wines, unless even the thought of wine in a box horrifies you...

Previous post recommended Bogle wines. I tried petite syrah and liked it a lot. Where I live it is just a little over the $10 price.

Well my recs are less than your indicated price point, but to me they taste like $10+
My current favorites are at Trader Joe's - Napa River Cab $4.99
Trellis Cab $4.99 and Black Mountain Fat Cat Cab $5.99

Yep, dont ding the 2 buck chuck. Both the shiraz and chard won big awards. Unfortunately its bulk wine so unless you get some from the same wholesale lot as the award winners, it might not be as good.

Seems hit and miss for us. We got a few bottles of chard and liked it a lot, bought a case (how can you go wrong?) and it must have been from a different lot as it was just fair.

But two bucks a bottle for cooking wine? Cheap.

Hi all,

Looking for all suggestions for white or reds in the $8 to $11 range. My wife and I go through about 2-3 bottles per week and this is our price range for now.

Thanks in advance

Not sure where you live, my wife and I go through around 7-10 cases of wine per year.

We buy it all in Finger Lakes region of NYS. Buying it by the case saves us 10-25% depending on winery. Most cases cost us around $100 for 12 bottles. Some of the dryer wines cost more.

I would agree with Bogle, also Frontera is a good Chilean wine.

Any variety of Yellow Tail

Try any malbec from Argentina. Los Alamos has a great one, and I like one called Gaston. But most of them are quite good and inexpensive.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. We live in South Jersey area. Spent 2 years in CA (Bay Area) and would buy the Black Mountain Fat Cat all the time at Traders Joes - does anyone know a Trader Joes in NJ that sells wine?

Thanks

Not sure where you live, my wife and I go through around 7-10 cases of wine per year.

We buy it all in Finger Lakes region of NYS. Buying it by the case saves us 10-25% depending on winery. Most cases cost us around $100 for 12 bottles. Some of the dryer wines cost more.

Have a favorite winery or two?

I'd agree on the Malbec from Argentina. 3-buck chuck, but not the Chard.. every batch I get seems harsh.

A bit far afield for you in NJ ... but we like Michigan wines. Tabor Hill, St. Julian from the SW corner, Chateau Grand Travese and Chateau Chantal among those from Traverse City.

Ditto on the Malbec and the Yellowtail. I've moved primarily to Red Wine, but.. if the pale is your pleasure, you might try a South African... Goats do Roam.

Goats Do Roam - Wine

Always using a rule of 10 bucks or less, the World Market is my wine cellar.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. We live in South Jersey area. Spent 2 years in CA (Bay Area) and would buy the Black Mountain Fat Cat all the time at Traders Joes - does anyone know a Trader Joes in NJ that sells wine?

Thanks

Heh, NJ does not offer as many opportunities for booze bargains as other places in the US. Sin taxes and the antiquated distribution system/laws boost costs considerably. I usually find the best bargains are no CA wines. Usually, I get the best deals on Australian, South American (esp Chile and Argentina), Spain, sometimes France, and once in a while CA.

this thread couldn't have been any more convenient because i don't drink wine but i just made lentil soup which calls for white wine and i had no idea of what to buy. i made it without the wine but ya can tell there is definitely an ingredient missing. now i can finish the soup. thank you forum.

Black Swan - Shiraz

Delicato - Shiraz, I usually get the box on this one.

I like Fetzer (California) for reds, both Merlot and Cabernet; it's almost always on sale at the supermarket. I've developed a taste for cheap restaurant Italian chiani (with or without fava beans) but don't remember any vinyard names.

I use Clos du Bois Chardonnay for cooking and that rare urge for a cold white one. Also usually on sale.

Have a favorite winery or two?

Knapp and Lucas are must visits every time. Vignoles at Knapp is my favorate wine. Lucas has tugboat red which my wife likes, plus a few other reds she also likes.

Castle Gristsch has good holiday reds and whites

Americana was one we went to for first time last year and we'll go back. Their late harvest was quite good.

Haslitt is a must visit for anyone which has never done the wine trail. Do Haslitt with a large group and it is quite the experience. You can go with a smaller group as well. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Hunt club was also good- it's on Keuka and we had time because our last trip was two full days of wine tasting.

The scenery from all the wineries is spectacular. I recomend any wine drinker do a wine tasting weekend at any place on the finger lakes, with special attention to Seneca or Cayuga lake wine trails.

Finger Lakes Wineries and Trails - New York Wine and Culinary Center, NY State Winery Tours

Welcome to Lucas Vineyards

Welcome to Swedish Hill Winery

Last edited:
this thread couldn't have been any more convenient because i don't drink wine but i just made lentil soup which calls for white wine and i had no idea of what to buy. i made it without the wine but ya can tell there is definitely an ingredient missing. now i can finish the soup. thank you forum.

Another thing to try is mould cider, or jello shots with wine.

mould cider- 4 parts cider, 2 parts cranberry wine, brown sugar (1/4 cup for 1/2 gallon liquid) 3-4 cinamon sticks, and some whole cloves (2-3).

hazlitt on Seneca Lake in NYS has a wine called red cat which is GREAT for jello shots. If you are waiting to get in try a jello shot for $2.

Back
Top Bottom