Advice on Screech Owl

Mark1

Full time employment: Posting here.
So for the past several years we have put up an American Kestrel nesting box in the back of the property and have had a nesting family every year. Timing is usually ~ 2 month window in April/May/June However, this year I believe we have a new occupant in that there has been an owl routinely looking out the box for the past several days (I believe it is a male, western screech owl).

Our lot is only 1.5 acres so the nesting box is maybe 200 ft for the back patio. Typically, we try to minimize the amount of yard maintenance we perform near the box when the nest is occupied, although, the Kestrels typically don't freak out too bad when we are in close vicinity. However, it is hard to completely evacuate the area as periodic weeding/mowing, etc. is necessary. I guess my concern is will the owls be as willing to have us in the area, particularity when owlets are present in the box. I remember when I was young boy in Iowa, we had eastern screech owls that swooped at us for several evening when we were out playing in the yard. As I remember the incidents were always around dusk so maybe the female was to blame as she was out for her evening break (?), Currently, I believe it is only the male within and looking out the box hole. However, if I get within ~ 100 feet of the box, he will drop down into the box and out of sight, but never fly off. Does anyone have any experience with (western) screech owls on their property? Would it be better to have them get acclimated to our presence by going near the box routinely prior to the actually incubation/brooding period? We're fine with Owl occupants this year, instead of a Kestrels, but we would like it to be conflict free. I haven't seen any Kestrels in the area for the past several weeks, so I'm not sure what they will think of this situation once they discover someone is in their box. :LOL:

I asked ChatGPT :LOL: It said:

Having owls in your yard can be a wonderful experience as these birds are fascinating and beautiful creatures. In general, there is no need to avoid that part of your yard if you have owls, but it is important to take some precautions to ensure that you, your family, and the owls stay safe.

First, keep a safe distance from the owls and avoid approaching them or disturbing their nests. Owls can become aggressive if they feel threatened, and their talons and beaks can cause serious injury.

Second, if you have pets such as small dogs or cats, keep them indoors or supervise them closely when they are outside. Owls are predators and may view small pets as potential prey.

Third, if you have young children, educate them about the presence of the owls and the importance of leaving them alone. Children should also be taught not to approach or touch any wild animals.

Overall, having owls in your yard can be a unique and enjoyable experience as long as you take the necessary precautions to ensure that everyone stays safe.

Wow! How special. :)

I currently have an owl box in my half acre woods at the rear of my property. I know I have screech owls (eastern) in the area because I hear them. I also have Great Horned and Barred owls in the area.

If I have some customers looking the box over, I'll probably try not to get too close until they get comfortable seeing me around.

You might find this interesting. This is in my general area.
https://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2020/01/25/chris-jacksons-dfw-urban-wildlife/the-accidental-owlets/

A good friend of mine has had a pair of nesting Great Horned owls in her small residential back yard for years now.
https://www.facebook.com/ennisowlcam/

The only experience we have with screech owls using nesting boxes where plenty of humans are around is that they seem very chill about it. They are mostly nocturnal creatures anyway.

I have not been buzzed by owls so none of that experience. I have found them roosting pretty low down along a trail and seemed pretty chill in general.

I can’t help with owl advice. I built an owl house and it’s inhabited by squirrels. I hear owls at night, but they’re not living in my owl house.

Western Screech owls are small, maybe 6 to 10 inches tall. They are also easily tamed. I've rescued a few that were hit by cars found up in the mountains while camping. They will readily eat feeder mice from my hand after sitting with them for a while in a quiet room with a blanket for them to nest on. Once healed and released, they usually will hang around and accept food offerings. Eventually though, they get the hang of hunting again and take off for good.
They don't hoot like you would normally associate an owl call to be. Their call is more of a trill, several notes that get quicker as they go, like a ping pong ball dropped would go faster as it bounces, and the height is shorter.
They will snap their bill, making a clicking noise if threatened or feel in danger. It works too, to hear it up close, you think you'd lose a finger if that bill snapped down on your finger.

Last edited:
I love the screech owl trill. I hear it almost every night around here.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like we should be OK, although, I will still probably avoid the area unless I'm wearing a thick, wide brimmed hat. :LOL:

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like we should be OK, although, I will still probably avoid the area unless I'm wearing a thick, wide brimmed hat. :LOL:
I would love to see some pics. Would you do a nest camera?

I wouldn’t worry about it unless you are up really close to it.

Last year, our neighbor had a great horned owl take up residence in a box they put up for wood ducks. It was close to where their grand kids play and never caused a problem. I

I know some birds will attack when you get too close to their nests. I got dive bombed by a blue jay a few years ago and that hurt! It’s beak smashed right into my head.

I looked around and there was a nest in a bush right on a path in our backyard. Once the chicks fledged all was well.

I have come across several Screech Owl nests over the years and from my experience they are one of the more chilled out birds and easily acclimate to human activity.

Back
Top Bottom