Advice please - squeaky lamp

Felix Mulier

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all,
I bought this here lamp
31unarrneyL._SY300_.jpg

and it works fantastic except for one thing. When you stretch the arm to set it up for use, this screeching, grating sound comes out of the circular "hubs" shown at the top and 1/2 way down the stand. It's gotten, um, extremely irritating like scraping your fingernails down a chalkboard:rant: Instructions say when you're not using it, you need to return it to its default position - as pictured - to ease up on the tension. So this noise happens a lot!

I'm concerned about using WD40 since there are springs involved. I tried pouring some talcum powder into the offending hubs, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I have earplugs and headphones already. Looking for more of a "root cause" solution! Thanks much.
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\Mary Files\Pictures\Needlepoint\Floor lamp.jpeg

That sounds like it could be a real problem!
From the sounds of it this thing is already on your last nerve, so I would try some WD40, just to see if it helps. If in the worst case it's rendered no longer usable, what have you truly lost?

Is there any kind of manufacturer's warranty and or store warranty on the lamp? It definitely sounds like it's not working as intended.

Are there coil springs in there:confused:

I would like to know a cure as our dishwasher's springs are making a horrible sound also... I have thought of using some silicone spay on them, but don't know if it would help....

Thanks guys! Think I'll try the Genie lithium grease. I can get it local at Home Despot. If that doesn't work, I have some WD40 and will give that a try.

You know what they say. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape; if it doesn't move and it should, use WD40!

I would try silicone spray first and then WD40 if the silicone spray doesn't work.

Is there a screw or bolt on the hubs that you could loosen a tad? That might make the squeak go away.

Back
Top Bottom