Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's great news that she got the job, Al. I hope it all works out for her. Just one word of warning regarding slips, cups, and lips. In my w*rking career I twice had situations where I was told I had gotten a job, only to have it fall through. Try to make sure she waits until she gets a written offer before she starts buying stuff and counting her chickens and everything. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but it's pretty devastating to have the rug pulled out from under you when you are counting on something.

By the way, my nephew just started there at U of Wash St.Louis. Sounds like a great school.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, when's the retirement party? Gotta plan ahead.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Great news Al. My daughter graduates in May but with a studio art major the big-bucks offers are not exactly rolling in
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter. Getting a good job in this economy is quite a coup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
How does she tell if her salary & benefits are appropriate or if she's being lowballed? Does the college or other alumni or her professional association give her a ballpark estimate?
When I was an EE senior at A&M, we got lots of information by word of mouth from other EE students. Granted, we were a pretty tight-knit bunch and as time passed I learned of the amounts offered for most of the job offers in my graduating class. Every offer that everyone got was discussed among us, and we all knew each other's approximate GPA so it was pretty easy to tell what was a lowball offer. I also learned which companies routinely made high (or low) offers.

Also, the university had an employment office for graduating students, though which the interviews were conducted. That office provided statistics that I perused, as well, and these were consistent with the word of mouth info that I was getting. But I found it more helpful to hear about the offers for people that I knew - - because I knew their GPA's and had a pretty good idea of how they would come off in an interview, and I knew who had a relative working for that firm and so on.

Word of mouth also helped when finishing up my Ph.D., though the pool of graduates was much smaller.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was just about to ask if she wants to work for a company that treats its new hires like that.
Actually, it wasn't as bad as it sounds from my post. She was in contact with them, and they said it would be a while.

Quote:
How does she tell if her salary & benefits are appropriate or if she's being lowballed? Does the college or other alumni or her professional association give her a ballpark estimate?
What W2R said. Of course, in her current state of mind, she'll take anything they offer.

Quote:
Try to make sure she waits until she gets a written offer before she starts buying stuff and counting her chickens and everything.
I feel the same way, but I have chosen not to say anything. It's a very reputable company, one of Fortune Magazine's 100 best companies to work for, so she's probably OK. But most of all, it's time for Dad to not be putting his 2 cents in.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What W2R said. Of course, in her current state of mind, she'll take anything they offer.
I can see that. Like it or not, experience is experience and for a first job, the experience is arguably more critical than the size of the offer. The first job out of college often has to be a compromise to get the experience that so many other opportunities will require.

Once you gain experience and prove yourself, then you can drive harder bargains when looking for work. (At least in a typical economy.)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Try to make sure she waits until she gets a written offer before she starts buying stuff and counting her chickens and everything.
I think she gets that. Here's the email I got from her this morning:
Hey, lets keep the job on the dl for now until everything is more certain and I have more details. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like she's got her head on straight. Hopefully she doesn't read these posts. Congrats to her again.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I feel the same way, but I have chosen not to say anything. It's a very reputable company, one of Fortune Magazine's 100 best companies to work for, so she's probably OK. But most of all, it's time for Dad to not be putting his 2 cents in.
I've noticed that the most frequently used empty-nesting parenting skill seems to be keeping one's mouth shut, except for an occasional "Congratulations!" or gratuitous outpouring of money...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Evidently, No News = Good News

Congrats!

tmm
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've noticed that the most frequently used empty-nesting parenting skill seems to be keeping one's mouth shut, except for an occasional "Congratulations!" or gratuitous outpouring of money...
Oh, yeah. And the effect multiplies when they have kids of their own, and you have an idea that you might have handled a situation just a tad differently. Best strategy: zip it up.

But it is funny watching your kids deal with your grandkids - you hear them saying the exact same thing you used to say, and for which they gave you endless flack back in the day.

Circles.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

T-AL - congratulations to your daughter - I remember you telling me she was getting a degree in biomedical engineering. I'm sure she'll have an interesting career ahead.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
But it is funny watching your kids deal with your grandkids - you hear them saying the exact same thing you used to say, and for which they gave you endless flack back in the day.
Since I became a parent I've been apologizing to my father at least quarterly-- for over 16 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Circles.
Swirling down the drain...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

And after moving from not telling them what to do as they grew up, now I'm finding I'm asking my kids for advice....