Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I color my hair so no gray, haha. I met a woman a few weeks ago who is 70 and has no gray and made a joke about my “natural” hair and was sooo embarrassed when she said she did not color her hair. Oops.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #22
gone traveling

I have mix of brown and gray and its definitely thinned over the past 5 years. On the other hand, gray hair on some folks can be absolutely stunning. My mother had beautiful thick gray hair in her 50s and I've never seen anything like it. I certainly did not inherit her hair gene.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my youth my barber/hair salon cutters would joke they should charge me extra because of my thick hair. Not anymore. It's now thin, bald spot on top of my head, and oh yeah all gray.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #24

I started coloring about 10 years ago, because of grey-so I have grey hair, but no one can see it.

DH started with gray hairs in his 20s-went snow white at about 50
DS is 27 and is losing his hair, and he has gray hairs. He got the worst hair genes.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

My mom is 78 and finally has more grey hair than her natural color. I wonder if it's a sign of longevity because I can see her easily living into her 90's.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OP here, based on several of the responses it appears that there is some sort of genetic component--people of Irish descent often don't get gray hair. Now if we could just figure out the "no gray gene" and market it somehow we could make a fortune.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
OP here, based on several of the responses it appears that there is some sort of genetic component--people of Irish descent often don't get gray hair. Now if we could just figure out the "no gray gene" and market it somehow we could make a fortune.
haha, let them truly solve the baldness gene first.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Mom had minimal gray hair, Dad was gray early 20's. Me? I got my first gray hair at 16, pretty much full on gray all over by 40. I didn't fight it as most everyone complemented me, luckily it is more of a shiny silvery white.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

My father had what little hair he had stay black ( he said much of it was literally scared off of him in WW II at Normandy and in the Ardennnes), save for the temple area, right up to his death at age 82. He was of northern European descent

My mother began graying significantly in her late forties. She was of eastern European descent.

At almost 59, I have a few strands of silver hair, otherwise dark brown and oily like the OP, but it grows fast still.

Thanks for the thread, was wondering myself when I would finally get significantly grey. I do not expect to color my hair, but will reassess when, and now if, there is significant graying.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
I started getting gray in my 40s.
Same here. Started to go grey just about 40. Now, about 50/50 grey to brown twelve years later.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #31
gone traveling

There are red/ginger hair color particularities as this suggests there are other risks also. https://www.livescience.com/39095-re...lth-risks.html

I suspect blonds also have particularities.
Best wishes....
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #32

Perky young supermodels love to run their hands through my thick, dark hair. OK, that claim is only 1/3 true (not bad for the internet ). Perky young supermodels: no; thick hair: yes; dark hair: no - my hair is mostly gray these days .

I could pass for much younger if I dyed my hair, but who am I trying to fool? I'm old - deal with it.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

A few times, a salesman (once, even a doctor) asked me if my 'mother' wanted such-and-such. DW was NOT happy. She is all white and I'm just now starting to whiten at the temples. My actual mother was mostly dark brown even until her death at 87. I favor her in many respects. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #34

Ms G says I have no grey at 68....... I think she is just being kind.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

^ I think she wants something. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #36

Going to be 56 ... my hair is completely Black.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #37

I started going noticeably gray in my early 40s, and started losing hair before that. But then, when I was 19 or 20 and grew a beard, I already had a scattering of stark white hairs in it. I blame it on the Russian/Polish side of the family. At least I'm saving money now that I'm cutting my own hair with cordless clippers, plus it's hard to see any gray hair OR a hairline!
Old 09-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

OP here, actually the older I get the darker my hair gets. As I child my hair was light brown and now it is dark brown and at age 68 no gray!!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

My full head of hair is still there with just a little gray at the temples. DW has a few strands of gray, but not much. We’re 63 and our 31 year old daughter in law has more gray.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Mostly salt than pepper for me, but have most of my hair. A little thinning in the crown, but no bald skin yet.