Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It seems that the only legal prejudice is against older men.

What a delightful world! In this thread, a prejudice even expressed by some older men.

Ha
+1
Not so much true in some other countries, but certainly is the case here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I have been reading this thread with great interest.

I would never ask if two people are married or they are parent/child (unless I can come up with something more indirect to say that makes them want to disclose the nature of their relationship on their own.) I would be very curious to find out and I may ask my friends after they leave though. It's like when you think some casual friend looks pregnant.

I've noticed people (cashiers at a grocery store and alike) often referred me and my then boyfriend as husband and wife. (I imagine an old guy and an old woman grocery shopping or hanging together are usually married couples.) I guess it is human nature to categorize people into their "normal".

To answer the OP's question, I would just say "No" and turn away. I hope that would teach the person not to pry next time she/he is tempted to ask someone else a similar question.

I will give you one that happened a long time ago.... I had a female coworker that lived semi close to me... I was single, she was married... I used to go visit them off and on....

She eventually had a baby... so one day her husband went out of town on a business trip and when we were leaving work she said she wanted to go get BBQ and would I like to come... sure, we were friends... so we meet there, her with her baby in tow.... I liked babies and was holding it and playing when some ladies behind us asked how long we were married.... I said 'we are not married'.... OH... pause.... so they decided to try something else to get over that one.... so they ask me, how old is your baby? I said, 'it is not my baby'..... more silence from them.... I do not remember how long it was before I told them we were just friends... but I thought their reaction was amusing....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Where did that come from? I'm certainly not prejudiced against them, legally or otherwise. I have a lot of fun with mine.

Quote:

Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What were the odds of mentioning nannies and goats in the same thread?
The terms are commonly used in the "car world" and can be found together on performance car forum threads on occasions... Examples, "I removed the nannies from my goat". Or the one I like is, "The old goats never had any "nannies"... Have fun with those...

In car terms:

nanny or nannies = limiters, governors, restrictions, etc.... example; a "speed or RPM limiter" is often called a nanny or nannies

goat or goats = GTO's (as in Pontiac GTO) I see that one all the time.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

When I was very small, I thought the refrain of "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" went "Goat, nanny-goat, nanny-goat, nanny-goat." [instead of "Go, Granny, Go, Granny, Go Granny Go."]

Maybe it wouldn't have been so off-base after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
The terms are commonly used in the "car world" and can be found together on performance car forum threads on occasions... Examples, "I removed the nannies from my goat". Or the one I like is, "The old goats never had any "nannies"... Have fun with those...

In car terms:

nanny or nannies = limiters, governors, restrictions, etc.... example; a "speed or RPM limiter" is often called a nanny or nannies

goat or goats = GTO's (as in Pontiac GTO) I see that one all the time.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If things look a bit strange then I don't mind the comments so much. Example: I am 6'6" and DW is 5'3". Lots of comments. One time I rented a Toyota Yaris (very small) because I was basically only driving 5 miles from the airport to the hotel. I received lots of comments that week. When I hear about/witness young married couples (think military 18 and 19 yr olds) that seems strange (not the norm) so comments are sometimes made. It's not naivety, it's not normal so it brings a reaction. Human nature. Assumptions are made every day of our lives so don't be surprised when you are involved in a situation that is not normal and you get a strange comment. Just because I help people all the time at Home Depot does not mean I am employed there.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What a delightful world! In this thread, a prejudice even expressed by some older men.

Ha
Sure glad I'm not an older man...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Oh, Bigdawg, that reminds me of being a teenaged girl. I'm only medium-tall, so this didn't affect me as much; but the very tall girls (5-10 or so) always lamented that the tallest fellows went for the petite girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
If things look a bit strange then I don't mind the comments so much. Example: I am 6'6" and DW is 5'3". .
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #89

Quote:
Oh, Bigdawg, that reminds me of being a teenaged girl. I'm only medium-tall, so this didn't affect me as much; but the very tall girls (5-10 or so) always lamented that the tallest fellows went for the petite girls!
My mother was so excited when I briefly dated a women who was 6'1".

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Me, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Sure glad I'm not an older man...
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #91
gone traveling

I made this mistake once, it's been over 30 years and I remember it like yesterday? I was a policeman and someone called 911 for an ambulance, I got there after the ambulance had arrived and I was helping lift the sick man into the ambulance. as I was a foot patrolman I jumped in the ambulance to ride to the local hospital and would walk back to my beat. I had a form to fill out and did not want to delay the medical assistance. To set the stage the sick person had white hair looked to me to be in his 60's, the girl with him looked to be in her 20's. I said to her what's his name , all pedigree questions, I then said ma'am, what's your fathers date of birth. She said why did I need that. I said well he is heading to the hospital and I have this form to fill out. She told me that it was her husband , I wanted to jump out of the moving ambulance. From then on I added to my repertoire "so how are you related to the aided/victim etc. as for me I too am 6'6" And now bald and fat and somewhat sick , the bride was/is stunning and 5'6" and younger by 7 years, she likes to tell cashiers that I'm her father lol. I tell folks she aged me .
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

One time, I congratulated a formerly very obese co-worker on her amazing weight loss. She replied that it was none of her doing, as she had terminal cancer. The poor woman did, indeed, die a few months later.

In my defense, she had bought a new wardrobe and was rocking a tightly-cinched belt, as was the current style. She didn't look ill. But it taught me a big lesson. Be careful, even with compliments!
Old 11-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In my defense, she had bought a new wardrobe and was rocking a tightly-cinched belt, as was the current style. She didn't look ill. But it taught me a big lesson. Be careful, even with compliments!
If you're going, might as well go out in style.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One time, I congratulated a formerly very obese co-worker on her amazing weight loss. She replied that it was none of her doing, as she had terminal cancer. The poor woman did, indeed, die a few months later.

Sometimes, you just can't win!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #95
gone traveling

Quote:

At a wedding I saw an old friend, I asked her when is the baby due? She said she had it a few months ago, I tried to play it off that is what I ment when did you have the baby. I was a little too polluted to really feel bad at the time, I'm horrified about it now.
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
There is a very big difference between my wife's age and mine, I bet quite a bit larger than you and your husband. Not only is she much younger, but also from a different part of the world. Before she came I prepared her for possible prejudice and remarks that she might encounter. Didn't need to prepare myself since I am to old to give a rat's afterside as to what people think. Surprisingly, there have been very few negative comments, at least to our face. One negative Facebook comment, we gave no reply, just immediate unfriending and ban. A very close immediate family member expressing normal concern, gets a one time short answer. Casual friends sometimes ask how we met, sometimes get a short one sentence reply, other's just get "I was lucky." I agree with the idea "don't answer after the first comment."

As far as something like that Botox comment you got, I would just say nothing in reply other than, "Excuse me" and walk away. That type of question is inappropriate in any context.

Now for the hard part, and please don't take this the wrong way. But it is not their problem, it is yours. I have found over the years that difficult people (like me) don't get much guff from others, they pretty much get the idea that we do what we want and don't care about what they think, and are not goaded by their remarks. While kind people, I think probably like you, get the brunt of peoples remarks, because they know it affects you.

My advice (it's free, so take it for what it is worth), don't try to be kind to people that make offensive remarks. You don't owe them anything, not even a reply. If they get the idea, good you can still be friends (or acquaintances), if not, you have lost nothing by loosing them.
Good post, I agree. The "cute" answers ,although fun, don't work very well. I sometimes get asked rude questions. I respond in a very direct truthful way that often tends to embarrass the asker. Fine by me. My DS usually says I should have been nicer and used some humor. We don't agree on this.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i earned it View Post
at a wedding i saw an old friend, i asked her when is the baby due? She said she had it a few months ago, i tried to play it off that is what i ment when did you have the baby. I was a little too polluted to really feel bad at the time, i'm horrified about it now.
Quote:
you should never say anything to a woman that even remotely
suggests you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby
emerging from her at that moment.

-- dave berry, "25 things i have learned in 50 years"
-erd50

weird - this post turned every upper-case letter to lower case, and editing doesn't change it, even though it looks good in the text box. Maybe a re-boot is in order?
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This has happened many times to me over the years even though DW is only 9 months younger than me. I usually reply, "No, we're husband and wife. I've just weathered badly". It's none of their business so I make no comment on the age difference (or lack of), it just happens that DW has always looked much younger than she is and I have always looked much older.
Chuckle. DW and I are of same age. A perfect stranger at a golf round looked at us and said "it's so nice to play golf with a daughter." I was so flabbergasted that I didn't counter it with a snappy line. Of course, DW was in good mood for the rest of the week.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
How Old do I Look?

Have a little fun with you and your friends.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One time, I congratulated a formerly very obese co-worker on her amazing weight loss. She replied that it was none of her doing, as she had terminal cancer. The poor woman did, indeed, die a few months later...
"Thanks. Chemo did that for me."

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age difference, marriage, rudeness