Age-related or Only Bank Policy Changes

Speculator

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi Folks,

I have held a Bank of America Visa Signature Rewards credit card for decades and always use it when I travel. I do this because it allows me to easily keep track of my trip-related expenses and the card has offered rental car damage protection, allowing me to avoid paying for the damage waiver insurance the rental car companies offer. However, last week Bank of America notified me they are discontinuing the rental car coverage as of February, 2021. I am wondering if anyone else has been notified their rental car coverage will be discontinued by Bank of America, recently? As a person who is known to overthink events, I was wondering if it had anything to do with my advancing age (turning 70 in May) or is it only a change in the bank's policy? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Hi Folks,

I have held a Bank of America Visa Signature Rewards credit card for decades and always use it when I travel. I do this because it allows me to easily keep track of my trip-related expenses and the card has offered rental car damage protection, allowing me to avoid paying for the damage waiver insurance the rental car companies offer. However, last week Bank of America notified me they are discontinuing the rental car coverage as of February, 2021. I am wondering if anyone else has been notified their rental car coverage will be discontinued by Bank of America, recently? As a person who is known to overthink events, I was wondering if it had anything to do with my advancing age (turning 70 in May) or is it only a change in the bank's policy? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Same for me--BA Visa also notified me no more rental car insurance. I just assumed they were eliminating it for everyone but I am 69 also so there could be some age issue there....hmmm...

Same here but "only" 60. My guess is it is not age related, but who knows.

Bank of America is not the most user friendly megabank around. Come to think of it, those big national chains are not the easiest to deal with. I'm not surprised.

My Capital One still offers rental car insurance--except in Ireland & Italy.

I'm now 70, and will have to be careful in the future. Many European car rental companies refuse to rent to those 70 and older. It's something to ask about when making reservations. I'm a young 70, however (in my eyes.) There again, I may really old before we're allowed back onto The Continent.

Hi Folks,

Synchrony Bank sent me the same notification. No more rental car coverage on the Visa card beginning in 2021.

I got the same letter, and I'm only 57.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. Since the ages of the responders appear to be from 57 to 70, I guess it's not age-related. It's funny, though. After experiencing what I believe was age-discrimination several times over the past few years, it's what immediately comes to mind when something like this happens. Getting paranoid, I guess....... :)

I think the rental car coverage was costing Visa some money so they decided to drop it for financial reasons. I wonder if this is a trend and most all the card companies will drop this coverage?

Back
Top Bottom