Join Early Retirement Today

Air fryer, anyone?
Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Air fryer, anyone?

We bought an air fryer at Costco last year when they had it on sale. We liked it so much that we bought another one to bring up to our 2nd home. The 2nd one is a different brand than the 1st.

My wife bought an Instapot, but changed her mind about having to learn to use it, and returned it unopened. The air fryer works no differently than a toaster oven or a convection oven, and takes no learning. It works a lot faster than a convection oven because of more air movement. And being smaller, it works great for daily use. The power consumption is much reduced too.

Here are some examples. Earlier in the week, I roasted 4 chicken drumsticks for dinner, and it took but 10-12 minutes. Today, I roasted some Hatch chilies in order to peel the skin, and it took 6 minutes. If I recall correctly, the chilies took more than 1/2 hour last time I roasted them in a toaster oven.

We have used it to bake fish, reheat french fries, etc... So fast and convenient. The only thing to watch for is to not overcook food as it is so fast. Until I know the timing, I check often for doneness with a Thermapen.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use mine to cook chicken thighs, reheat things (microwave died) and have made fries in it. Also cooked some hard boiled eggs but prefer the instant pot for that. I like it but bought a small one. Thinking about getting a larger one.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe I will look into this air fryer, I like to make yam fries at home.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my air fryer and use it every day. Falafel, tofu, all the vegetables and pizza. Much faster, crispier than regular oven.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

+1 on the air fryer. We had an Instapot, but didn't meet expectations...but the air fryer? Awesome!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just found another use of the air fryer: browning onion in preparation for onion soup.

It works fairly well and fast. I have to stir up the onion every 10 minutes, with the heat at 330F. And I have a tray that can hold only 2 large sliced onions at a time, but it's OK.

I took the fryer out to the back patio to do this. It's still going with the last batch. Last time, when I browned the onion on the stove top, the whole house smelled of onion.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #7

How does it compare to a convection oven? Does the food taste different, or does it just cook faster?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Same as a convection oven, just a lot faster. More hot air blown directly over the food means faster heating. It's easy to singe the food around the edges, if you set the temperature to the max of 400F.

Got my onion caramelized without the use of any oil or butter. Makes it easy to clean up the pan. It's late now, so I put the onion in the fridge and continue the onion soup tomorrow. I will brown it a bit more with some butter in the pot before adding broth to make soup.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

How does the air fryer do in making fries? Anything close to deep fried? Do you use frozen or do you need to use fresh potatoes for best results?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have not made fries from scratch using this. Frozen fries were good.

The hot air blown over the food causes the moisture to seal in. Setting the air fryer at 350F is NOT the same thing as baking in an oven at 350F. It is something between baking and grilling.

See one guy roasting chicken drumsticks. Skip to 4:00 to see the result. His is a different brand, but my Costco fryer turned out the same.

Then, watch Gordon Ramsay making turkey sliders. Skip to 5:00 to see the result.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Same as a convection oven, just a lot faster. More hot air blown directly over the food means faster heating. It's easy to singe the food around the edges, if you set the temperature to the max of 400F.

Got my onion caramelized without the use of any oil or butter. Makes it easy to clean up the pan. It's late now, so I put the onion in the fridge and continue the onion soup tomorrow. I will brown it a bit more with some butter in the pot before adding broth to make soup.
I've made this a couple times - microwave French Onion soup. Sounds like blasphemy, but it was very good and super easy. DW can't eat onions, so this easy, small batch method is nice for me. I think it worked better for me as a half batch, the onions caramelized better. And I used beef broth, not the bullion cube, and less butter I think.

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...owave-0166887/

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Then, watch Dave Ramsey making turkey sliders. Skip to 5:00 to see the result....
Noooo!!!!!! Not DR, Gordon Ramsey!

whew, please, no more DR!

edit - I see you caught it before I posted!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #13

NW-Bound, not to be picky but Gordon Ramsey didn’t wash his hands after touching raw turkey and then he touched the fridge and raw peppers. Ew!
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I did not watch it closely the first time, and only skipped to see the result.

You are right! He only wiped his hand on a towel.

But seeing the patties coming out looking good, I thought it should be good to do steak the same way. And indeed there are lots of youtube videos on air-fried steak. And french fries made from scratch too.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The first one I bought from Costco was a NuWave.

Here's the 2nd one that I bought from Costco. Customers rave about it in the reviews here: Air Fryer.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
How does the air fryer do in making fries? Anything close to deep fried? Do you use frozen or do you need to use fresh potatoes for best results?
I get fast food fries from Wal-Mart, they look like mcdonalds fries, they seem spoty on having them on the shelf, i get a few bags when they are in stock.
Tater tots are good too.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #17

Mmmmmmm. Tater tots.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
In my opinion, homemade fries are as good as restaurant fries. We simply slice the potatoes lightly toss them in oil and put them in the air fryer. We do the same for sweet potatoes. Frozen fries work well too.

Since we are from Buffalo, we cook our chicken wings in the air fryer. They come out very crisp. We toss them in the original Buffalo wing sauce (1/2 melted butter, 1/2 Frank's hot sauce) and they are excellent! The air fryer is very easy to clean up too.
Lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've made this a couple times - microwave French Onion soup. Sounds like blasphemy, but it was very good and super easy. DW can't eat onions, so this easy, small batch method is nice for me. I think it worked better for me as a half batch, the onions caramelized better. And I used beef broth, not the bullion cube, and less butter I think.

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...owave-0166887/

-ERD50
I may try the microwave later, but suspect that it would smell up the whole house like with the stove top.

No real bone broth for me this time, but I am using McCormick beef base paste, a grade better than bouillon.

And speaking of bone broth, another use for the air fryer is to roast the bones before making broth. Quick, economical, easy.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Some friends of ours also bought an air fryer on sale from Costco and are trying to talk us into getting one, too. They love theirs.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote