Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGYog View Post
... as long as you load up the 'puter with the aircard software which comes in a disk. ... Heck, I don't even need three computers, cuz all I need now is my laptop.
Oh! I forgot to mention that the really big advantage to the Cradlepoint Router is that you don't have to install the Verizon software. I am slightly uncomfortable allowing them access to my computer. But I do wonder if you can install the software on multi-computers or is it "registered" to only one -- blocking access to others? The router creates a Wi-Fi "HotSpot" that would allow the use of all three at the same time -- or any other computer you give permission to.

I should also point out that I sprung for a Wilson RV / Trucker Cellular Antenna to boost the signal coverage. This is rather inconvenient to use when the Aircard (Verizon UM-150) is tethered to the computer.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I should also point out that I sprung for a Wilson RV / Trucker Cellular Antenna to boost the signal coverage. This is rather inconvenient to use when the Aircard (Verizon UM-150) is tethered to the computer.
Out of curiosity, how is this antenna connected to your setup? omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Out of curiosity, how is this antenna connected to your setup? omni
The purpose of this antennae is to provide better "reception" from the Cellular Tower. It is plugged into the antenna port on the UM-150 aircard -- you, therefore, have to order it with the proper (compatible) connector on the cable. The cable is about 10'-12' and can be attached to the top of your vehicle (or whereever) in a multitude of ways.

I am, by the way, currently looking for an antennae that will boost the signal from the "HotSpot" to the router. This would be for those times when I can connect to a public "HotSpot" except for it being just out of range -- one or two bars. This search has brought me to seriously consider the HyperLink Ohmni.

And for those that have a "clearance" problem, I found an interesting universal mount that raises and lowers any antennae with the push of a button.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
But I do wonder if you can install the software on multi-computers or is it "registered" to only one -- blocking access to others?
One of the reasons why I chose the usb aircard over the slimcard one is that it could be used with multiple computers, according to the salesman (I hope he is right). All you needed to do was carry the usb aircard and the software disk, and you could use anyone's computer, anywhere (where Verizon wireless is available).
Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you can use these aircards on multiple computers. The device is essentially a phone. You are paying to connect it to the telco network.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yes, you can use these aircards on multiple computers. The device is essentially a phone. You are paying to connect it to the telco network.
Ditto. This has been my experience with my Sprint aircard. Just load the software on another computer and I'm good to go. omni (I seem to have lost my formatting when I write posts. Is there some setting I accidentally changed?)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #27

I use an AT&T card that I get from work. For some reason It doesn't work great in Chicago, but in Denver, Las Vegas, New York, and Honolulu it works great!

I have used the Sprint card with better results.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote