Airplane Etiquette Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the article showing good etiquette for the airlines? They are the ones who have put us into this lousy situation in the first place.

The article is nonsense as it attempts to shift responsibility for proper comfort, seating and the overall environment from the airline (which makes the rules) to the passenger (who is helpless to do much of anything). For example, we should be able to recline our seats and not have it be a problem for the person behind us.

Last edited:
Airplane Etiquette not mentioned

I think I've read every post and these situations are not mentioned.
1. A person in your row or in front or back obviously has the flu or a bad cold. Do I ask to be moved as they rudely cough and sneeze without a kleenex? I can hear congestion, it is obvious.

2. In the past, I've used a 99% alcohol wipe and cleaned the tray, arm rests several times. I've gotten somewhat astonished looks. Does anyone know if these are ever cleaned in between flights, once a day, once a year? I often find prior passenger garbage in my pocket on the back seat of the person in front of me.

3. I always wipe down the sink and toilet before I use and after I use. Often, person(s) prior use of the bathroom leaves a used towel or kleenex sitting on the counter. I also find droplets of something on the seat. I try to spritz, regardless of my use, something disinfectant before use.

4. Often, the person sitting next to me is encouraged, for some reason, to tell me their life story. I've experienced this on overseas flights more than domestic. I try to point to my earbuds and smile, that does not always work.

With the problems caused by cramped seating it amazes me there isn't a market for "extra-space flights" in coach. Add 6 inches more room between rows of seats would increase the ticket price by, what, 10%, yet people apparently are not willing to pay that.

With the problems caused by cramped seating it amazes me there isn't a market for "extra-space flights" in coach. Add 6 inches more room between rows of seats would increase the ticket price by, what, 10%, yet people apparently are not willing to pay that.

There is a market for them and they do exist. American has them available on almost all of their flights, for a fee or free if you are the correct level in their Frequent Flyer program. It's generally the first few rows in Coach that have the extended legroom.

OK, I get it, now that you're specific. Some people make jokes about the difference; I think it's because most of us never imagined we'd ever fly anything but coach! I've only flown business class very recently, for international travel. For the govt, I always flew coach....even to Asia. The lavatories, near the end of the flight...:eek:
My agreement was directed at the folks who look down on us coach class flyers. That is uncalled for. It’s just elitist.

Excellent points. Carrying wipes makes sense.

I think I've read every post and these situations are not mentioned.
1. A person in your row or in front or back obviously has the flu or a bad cold. Do I ask to be moved as they rudely cough and sneeze without a kleenex? I can hear congestion, it is obvious.

2. In the past, I've used a 99% alcohol wipe and cleaned the tray, arm rests several times. I've gotten somewhat astonished looks. Does anyone know if these are ever cleaned in between flights, once a day, once a year? I often find prior passenger garbage in my pocket on the back seat of the person in front of me.

3. I always wipe down the sink and toilet before I use and after I use. Often, person(s) prior use of the bathroom leaves a used towel or kleenex sitting on the counter. I also find droplets of something on the seat. I try to spritz, regardless of my use, something disinfectant before use.

4. Often, the person sitting next to me is encouraged, for some reason, to tell me their life story. I've experienced this on overseas flights more than domestic. I try to point to my earbuds and smile, that does not always work.

There is a market for them and they do exist. American has them available on almost all of their flights, for a fee or free if you are the correct level in their Frequent Flyer program. It's generally the first few rows in Coach that have the extended legroom.
Also exit rows are always for sale although few only on each flight obviously.

It's uncomfortable for everyone up there. We all hate it. Those people that basically say that they paid for the seat so they can do what they want with it? We could never be friends [emoji4]

Where is the article showing good etiquette for the airlines? They are the ones who have put us into this lousy situation in the first place.

The article is nonsense as it attempts to shift responsibility for proper comfort, seating and the overall environment from the airline (which makes the rules) to the passenger (who is helpless to do much of anything). For example, we should be able to recline are seats and not have it be a problem for the person behind us.

I completely agree with trying to deal with ridiculous coach space issues that we have no control over.

I usually don’t recline regardless of the person in front of me mostly because I really prefer sitting upright. I’ll recline for a bit on an international flight, though.

There is nothing to see out the window if you’re not in a window seat where you can look down—it’s just sky. Many people are reading screens and appreciate that the window shades are closed, too.

Personally, if I’m not in a middle seat, I don’t use that armrest. I’ll be flying to Chicago on Southwest on Monday without DH and will just grab a middle seat near the front of the plane as I expect the flight to be full of people like me who rebooked to avoid this week’s insane temperatures. I won’t claim the armrests but will appreciate my seat mates ceding them to me if that happens.

You know, this is similar to a very large neighborhood (or condos) where there are a lot of people in a small area. There is NO WAY that everyone is going to be happy...same on an airplane. Very small space + a lot of people = No one is happy.

Keeping glare off screens is important, and constitutes a significant difference in etiquette in just the past 10-15 years, IMO.
Many people are reading screens and appreciate that the window shades are closed, too.

The article is nonsense as it attempts to shift responsibility for proper comfort, seating and the overall environment from the airline (which makes the rules) to the passenger (who is helpless to do much of anything). For example, we should be able to recline are seats and not have it be a problem for the person behind us.

Except that the airlines have noticed that most passengers go for the cheapest seats regardless of their personal discomfort and that very few are willing to pay up for a more comfortable flying experience. So they pack them in even tighter.

There is. We often fly these, but amazingly few folks are willing to pay extra for extra-space seats. So it’s a limited commodity.

Excellent points. Carrying wipes makes sense.
+1/ saw a video on how disgusting many parts of the plane that we touch have high levels of bacteria. My next flight I will be carry some baby wipes.

The good news is you can now TIP your cabin steward/stewardess at least on Frontier airlines.
Coming soon to a Carrier near you. :eek:

Next will be tipping the pilot, after all we tip cabbies.

So would you throw the pilot a sawbuck on the way in? Or on the way off the plane. "Thanks for not killing us"

And what about pilot Sully? He water landed. Typically would that earn a tip? Or do you have to offset your fine Italian loafers getting ruined in the water?

Tipping is confusing enough :D

+1/ saw a video on how disgusting many parts of the plane that we touch have high levels of bacteria. My next flight I will be carry some baby wipes.

You're flying in a friggin' tube for goodness sakes. It's not like the air you breathe just shoots out the windows. I deem it a risk of flying.

Take the precautions you need to make you feel better. Yes, I got sick more when I flew a lot. Just the nature of the game. For one of those who has flown 2.0 mm+ miles like some of you:

1) I miss economy plus a lot. Not enough that it would make me keep working.

2) I'm going to recline my seat. I don't give a rip whether you like it or not. However I'm not going to lean back and hammer your knees when I do it. I will do it slowly and with love.

3) I hate people that get in and out of the row behind me and grab the back of my seat for leverage and then let go flinging me into the seat in front of me. Get a clue!

4) I'm a believer if you can't lift your own carry on luggage into the overhead bin you should gate check it. Sorry ladies, that's just me. Equality all the way.

5) Don't want to get into the wise and/or weight of people but was this even mentioned?

6) If you want to talk to the person next to you and they don't look like they want to carry on a conversation with them, then please quit talking to them. Many like myself just want to read or watch a movie and I'll never see you again. Maybe 1% of conversations will result in a new budding relationship.

I have others but then I would be deemed rude which I am anyway so I'll keep those to myself. Oh, almost forgot....the whole animal thing. Heaven help me!

You're flying in a friggin' tube for goodness sakes. It's not like the air you breathe just shoots out the windows. I deem it a risk of flying.

Take the precautions you need to make you feel better. Yes, I got sick more when I flew a lot. Just the nature of the game. For one of those who has flown 2.0 mm+ miles like some of you:

2) I'm going to recline my seat. I don't give a rip whether you like it or not. However I'm not going to lean back and hammer your knees when I do it. I will do it slowly and with love.

3) I hate people that get in and out of the row behind me and grab the back of my seat for leverage and then let go flinging me into the seat in front of me. Get a clue!

4) I'm a believer if you can't lift your own carry on luggage into the overhead bin you should gate check it. Sorry ladies, that's just me. Equality all the way.

5) Don't want to get into the wise and/or weight of people but was this even mentioned?

6) If you want to talk to the person next to you and they don't look like they want to carry on a conversation with them, then please quit talking to them. Many like myself just want to read or watch a movie and I'll never see you again. Maybe 1% of conversations will result in a new budding relationship.

I have others but then I would be deemed rude which I am anyway so I'll keep those to myself. Oh, almost forgot....the whole animal thing. Heaven help me!

I think you forgot one...

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Reminds me the man the myth the legend, Clint Eastwood " Go ahead make my day... "

You don't seem to realize that these two are related. If someone reclines their seat it makes it harder for people behind them to exit. Of course they are going to grab your seat back to steady themselves.

Would have been nice if they would have shown it with some people actually sitting in those seats.

You don't seem to realize that these two are related. If someone reclines their seat it makes it harder for people behind them to exit. Of course they are going to grab your seat back to steady themselves.
Exactly. And I think I'd have fun seeing that person fly into the seat in front of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom