Join Early Retirement Today

Al Queda bankrupting us
Old 06-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Al Queda bankrupting us

in the article below Al Queda's stated goal is to "bleed us to death" financially, just as they did the Soviet Union in Afghanistan. In my opinion, the evidence is that we are playing into their hands. What do you think about the following Al Queda statement in light of our country's growing expeditures on the Iraq war and the "war on terror"?

CNN.com - Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S. - Nov 1, 2004
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
gone traveling

Boy am I glad you started this thread!

anyway I believe we needed to finish off everylast terrorist that went thru bin ladens camps in the night anyplace they were after we went into afghanistan to topple the Taliban. Yes we had all the names of the people who went thru the camps and we should have hunted them down all over the world and did what needed to be done. I always thought when you went to war you were prepared to kill or be killed?

Bin laden and Al Zwhiri should have been found and brought to justice for 9/11.

Iraq? A waste.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 AM   #3

I don't think we need Al Qaeda to bankrupt us, we're doing a pretty good job of it on our own.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #4

250 million for a bridge in Alaska, 10 million for a road in Florida no one wants... just who is bankrupting us!
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
250 million for a bridge in Alaska, 10 million for a road in Florida no one wants... just who is bankrupting us!
hey, quiet about that bridge in Alaska!! That one gets me off the hook. My engineering stamp is sitting on the town-side ferry terminal repair. If that bridge goes in, it replaces the ferry. So far, my repair has held 10 years (knocking on wood).

A co-worker of mine once calculated it would be cheaper to move the entire airport to the town side and skip the bridge.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bin Laden said this right from the beginning just after 9/11. He stated the way to bring America down was economically and that they plan to do just that. It appears to me, no one was listening or at least taking him serious, especially George Bush. The horror of it, is he still doesn't. In my mind, Bush is a mad man out of control, and no one will stop him.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Reagan did this to the Soviets so we know that this works.

Quote:
There were those of us who fought against us. But in the end, we could not keep up with the expense involved in the arms race, the space race, and the peace race. And at the same time, our people grumbled for more nylons and washing machines. Our Doomsday scheme cost us just a small fraction of what we'd been spending on defense in a single year. But the deciding factor was when we learned that your country was working along similar lines, and we were afraid of a Doomsday gap...Our source was the New York Times.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
in the article below Al Queda's stated goal is to "bleed us to death" financially, just as they did the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.
I don't think Afghanistan bankrupted the Soviet Union. Embarrassed them, but it was their own economic inefficiency (and the arms race) that bankrupted them.

And note that the US was sponsoring Bin Laden and the mujahedeen at the time; unless they have since found a similarly deep-pocketed sponsor, they can't really expect similar results from a turnabout ploy.

Plus, the US is craftily failing to pursue them now anyway, so how could they claim credit even if their dreams of bankruptcy came true?
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Boy am I glad you started this thread!
Bin laden and Al Zwhiri should have been found and brought to justice for 9/11.
That is a super idea. I wish you had mentioned before.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That is a super idea. I wish you had mentioned before.

You know sam I get tired of republican people who truely believe that what they think is the all that ends all.

Bottom line Bin Laden and Alzwahiri are alive. President Bush has put thousands in a country that quite frankly is a $hithole and was when saddam was alive. BUT he wanted nothing to do with the Iranians who now will develop a nuclear weapon!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
You know sam I get tired of republican people who truely believe that what they think is the all that ends all.
Quote:

Bottom line Bin Laden and Alzwahiri are alive. President Bush has put thousands in a country that quite frankly is a $hithole and was when saddam was alive. BUT he wanted nothing to do with the Iranians who now will develop a nuclear weapon!

Most likely not as tired as I get of the other side!

Bin Laden Alive..... I guess you know exactly were too.... so... just go get him.... you will be richly rewarded! Do you really think the US Military, CIA, FBI and yes the current administration would like nothing more than to bring Bin Laden to justice? As he hides in Pakistan's no man land, where the Pakistan army does not go, and they will not let us go, how do you propose we 'get Bin Laden' If we had taken the entire military in Iraq and placed it in Afghanistan, I doubt we would have Bin Laden.

Iran. Ok, what do you want to do. Invade? Will you feel this way in three years if their is a Republican in the White House, or be like other democrats that cut and ran.

By the way, I thought I read on another thread you were going to stop posting 'hot spot' items. We can only hope! I for one get it, you don't like the president. OK.... no need to tell us on every post. It was once said, it is easy to get elected, but hard to govern. My request is, if you are going to criticize a current policy, give a solution. Otherwise it is just more vitriolic ravings.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post

Most likely not as tired as I get of the other side!

Bin Laden Alive..... I guess you know exactly were too.... so... just go get him.... you will be richly rewarded! Do you really think the US Military, CIA, FBI and yes the current administration would like nothing more than to bring Bin Laden to justice? As he hides in Pakistan's no man land, where the Pakistan army does not go, and they will not let us go, how do you propose we 'get Bin Laden' If we had taken the entire military in Iraq and placed it in Afghanistan, I doubt we would have Bin Laden.

Iran. Ok, what do you want to do. Invade? Will you feel this way in three years if their is a Republican in the White House, or be like other democrats that cut and ran.

By the way, I thought I read on another thread you were going to stop posting 'hot spot' items. We can only hope! I for one get it, you don't like the president. OK.... no need to tell us on every post. It was once said, it is easy to get elected, but hard to govern. My request is, if you are going to criticize a current policy, give a solution. Otherwise it is just more vitriolic ravings.

I did not start this thread and I just made a response.