All Time Favorite TV Series

Couple more:

Janet King (Australia)

Marcella (Britain)

The best seem to have their day and then....
Some of my favorites, though they may not hold up well to time are:
Modern Family
Early episodes of Happy Days
Northern Exposure
The Office
Thirty Something
Survivor

I used to love watching Thirty Something.

These have all been mentioned but...

Six Feet Under
Lost
The Good Wife

Oldies,
Dallas
Gunsmoke
Perry Mason

Current favorites,
Blue Bloods
NCIS
FBI
Bull
Cowboy Country

Totally forgot about The Unit. Totally agree - that was some incredibly good TV, and Patriotic to boot - made you proud to be an American and a bit nostalgic for how our country used to be. Great stories, characters, acting and directing. Remember the "bullet box" episode? Riveting and seared into my memory - intense. Too bad the show only lasted 4 (if I remember right) seasons. Own them all on DVD.

ETA - Dennis Haysbert will FOREVER be Snake Doc - a role he was born to play. Have seen him in some other things since (including a Hallmark "Hall of Fame" movie - awful, and we normally like the Hallmark flicks), and it just hasn't worked. Guess he can always continue to do Allstate ads..

I will have to find the bullet box episode - I have a hulu membership (thank you to the poster who alerted us to their Black Friday deal last year) & they have the entire series. The pilot with the takedown of the plane is the one I remember best.

Agree on Haysbert - he made a pretty good president on 24 too but Snake Doc was the best. If you watch SEAL Team, the green team leader Adam was one of the operators in The Unit. Cool Breeze got a pretty big supporting role in Scandal & now stars in Whiskey Cavalier which I have yet to try.

In addition to many of those already mentioned:

Firefly (one of the worst TV executive decisions ever was to cancel that show)
Battlestar Galactica (the remake)
Northern Exposure (the quality of the seasons are inversely proportionate to the length of Maggie’s hair)

In no particular order (and I'm sure I left quite a few out):
X-Files
House
Supernatural
Breaking Bad
Cheers
MASH
The Sopranos

For shows from long ago
Rocky and Bullwinkle - I was in 9th grade and ready for the offbeat humor.
And, of course, MASH
And The Avengers for Diana Rigg (long before GoT)

Drama
Maverick
Star Trek: Next Gen (never got into the others)
Rockford Files

For modern humor
Scrubs

Modern drama has some very good choices
Rome
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
House of Cards
Deadwood
Breaking Bad
The Shield
Justified
Fargo
even Battle Star Galactica (second version)

Last edited:
I've enjoyed lots of different series over the years. But if I had to pick just one it would have to be Andy Griffith.

Having just posted Mark Knopfler - Done With Bonaparte - reminded me of a series I've watched a number of times Sharpe......getting forgetful in my dotage.

Barney Miller - Good guys doing their best. Dietrich is my man.

NewsRadio - I find it very funny. Only one I have bought DVDs for.

Northern Exposure - Too many interesting characters, interesting stories, great sound track.

MASH, Seinfeld, NCIS, Mission Impossible, Hogan’s Heroes, F Troop, & Dobie Gillis to name a few...

A couple other favorites that came to mind are West Wing and Newsroom and Madam Secretary.

Lots of folks like Northern Exposure (me too!). If y'all haven't already, check out Doc Martin on PBS/BBC. I think there are lots of similarities (fish out of water, quirky characters, etc.).

....but most run on too long, ending as mediocre instead of memorable.
Ive never been a big TV watcher, but have watched a couple of series that have been available on Netflix or Amazon Prime and have noticed this too.

Right now, I’m on Season 7 of “The Closer” with Kyra Sedgwick. It started out great. She was delightful, and there were lots of good characters and interesting episodes. But by Season 6, it had run out of gas. They should have wrapped it up at the end of Season 5.

Hands down, Northern Exposure (I taped them all on VCR so I have the original music) - loved the show so much that my husband and I traveled from Atlanta to Roslyn, WA, and tent-camped. I had to see that location in person.

Doc Martin - I visited that location too, Port Isaac

Frasier

I asked DH and he said Twilight Zone. And Six Feet Under. Then we talked about the Sopranos and Mad Men and how the two stars were so perfectly cast. Mad Men gets bonus points imo for not being on HBO and having to work within cable network restraints (as did my fave, Justified).

Re shows outliving their storylines, there was a little comedy on a couple of years ago called The Grinder that lasted two seasons and was perfect as such. Also true of Freaks and Geeks and My So-Called Life. Bloodline, the Netflix series about a family in the Keys, really should have ended after the first season imo. (Yes I do watch a lot of TV but only in the evenings :LOL:). So short runs aren’t always a bad thing.

Last edited:
A few others mentioned Three's Company. It's among my favorites, too. It's a show at the start of the 1970s "Jiggly TV" era which featured the superb physical comedic skills of John Ritter, who passed away way too young back in 2003.

Back
Top Bottom