All time high

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's been a tough ride since I retired in Dec of 06 but finally my portfolio is at it's all time high. I did take a PT job to help out during the downtrun and not taking money out of the port did help out.

So now I can go back to doing nothing and live off what I have. I hope we don't get hit like that again any time soon.

Are you guys back yet?

Mods, quick, do your thing and make this thread go away!

Remember what happened when W2R put up her fateful "Wheeee...." post?

Are you guys back yet?
Man, do you walk under ladders, deliberately cross paths with black cats, book rooms on the 13th floor?

Quick, somebody get a knocking on wood emoticon and toss it in here.

I'm not all the way back - I shifted more to cash and have left it there while deciding if I want to buy some real estate or do something else with it. The best thing about all this is that I know my personal volatility index is something greater than 45%. I say with reasonable certainty that it's probably not as high as 50%.

I don't want to jinx anything, but... can I just say

We Have Exceeded Expectations!!! :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

I am so thrilled to be at my all time high. If I add up my taxable accounts, my TSP and Roth, and even my bank savings accounts and checking accounts, the total today is 5% greater than the total when I retired about one year ago. During the year I have bought my new Venza in cash, and also have had one time expenses in preparing my home for sale. Plus, of course, a year's normal living expenses. So, these numbers sure look good.

I just have to keep repeating to myself, "What goes up, must come down". :D

Last edited:
I rapped on my wooden desk after reading this. Hope that helps.

If the market tanks I'm going to blame it on having lunch with REW the other day.

I think he called at top - at least for a couple of days - until price gets back into the Bollinger Bands

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 17
I don't want to jinx anything, but... can I just say

We Have Exceeded Expectations!!! :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

I am so thrilled. If I add up my taxable accounts, my TSP and Roth, and even my bank savings accounts and checking accounts, the total today is 5% greater than the total one year ago. During the year I have bought my new Venza in cash, and also have had one time expenses in preparing my home for sale. Plus, of course, nine months' normal living expenses. So, these numbers sure look good.

I just have to keep repeating to myself, "What goes up, must come down". :D

"If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall over." Sir Sidney Fudd

Yep, I just also reported in the "What I do today" thread that my portfolio set a new high today. And then, coming here to see W2R dancing. OMG! I will need to sell at market open tomorrow!

May not be a decline just doesn't go anywhere for a few days.

But going outside the BB doesn't happen often - here is a couple of times.

Attachments

• bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 8
The fly in the ointment is that we may have more, but it is going to buy less. There will be another $600B floating out there soon.

As a perennially pessimistic guy, my view of life is that one should not expect to win, but rather to minimize his loss.

chart not downloading & I can't delete it.

Attachments

• bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 7
Man, I was afraid of this.

We're still far out of 2007 bubble territory, but our portfolio has crossed a tad above its "take some off the table" line and we've continued to hold on for the ride. When you guys get like this I should probably sell something just from reflex.

Guess I'll try to sell some more covered-call options tomorrow. We haven't been exercised yet, although our small-cap value ETF is above the February strike. Our Berskhire shares are still firmly in out-of-the-money territory.

Gold is nearing $1400/oz. and silver is up to $26.xx/oz. Everything sure feels good on the way up, but then it often takes the reverse path for at least a bit.

The above were daily chart.
This is a weekly.

Attachments

• bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 5
And to Jinx it further.

We are, also, at an all-time high... and we have done absolutely nothing to our portfolio since early 2007 -- no additions, no subtractions, no rebalancing... nothing.

And to Jinx it further.

We are, also, at an all-time high... and we have done absolutely nothing to our portfolio since early 2007 -- no additions, no subtractions, no rebalancing... nothing.

I believe that if one put all into Wellesley, it would do that, if one reinvested all dividends. I have been watching, and have said this before: Uncle Mick is onto something.

Anyway, I just wonder, without "subtraction", what do you live on?

Guess I'll try to sell some more covered-call options tomorrow. We haven't been exercised yet, although our small-cap value ETF is above the February strike. Our Berskhire shares are still firmly in out-of-the-money territory.

That reminded me I got about 2% of my stocks on covered calls, and "sadly" they are getting deeper in the money and will be called from me any day now, as they are Nov calls. That will drive my stock AA lower.

Last time I commented on my portfolio, I was basically told I should keep my mouth shut. So..............no comment.

And to Jinx it further.

Same here. Since April '09 we are up 44%.

We did re-balance to our target AA which meant buying more equities plus we have been in the accumulation phase so plenty of additional money going in. That includes this year - although we RE'ed end of January, I did get 2 full months of pay, plus money for unclaimed vacation plus an unexpected 20% bonus (of 2009's salary) and an unexpected inheritance.

The rubber meets the road in January when we start the "de-cumulation" phase.

DW's IRA, the only account we haven't touched since 2007, has reached a new all-time high today.

Our overall portfolio though is several times higher than it was in 2007 thanks to new contributions and a nice IRR. Now, I really jinxed it.

Here on the West Coast, as I was following the financial news from when I awoke to about 11:00 a.m., it looked like it was gonna be a banner day, and that I too would reach an all-time high, if things held steady until the markets closed. (I did!) Yet, when I went out to seize the day before noon, I found myself still reluctant to "eat out" for lunch while at a "food court" reading a book. When I got home, I softly kicked myself for not yet eating that week-old apple I saw still sitting atop my bedroom TV. All this due, I suppose, to that frugal gene I have that got me to where I am FI today.

Now, tonight, after I saw that the markets did in fact do very well, and I am at a "high," I am considering letting my "frugal hair down" tomorrows, and letting my "freak flag fly." If you know what I mean.

I am considering letting my "frugal hair down" tomorrows, and letting my "freak flag fly." If you know what I mean.

You're going to throw out the apple?

Back
Top Bottom