Join Early Retirement Today

Alternative Energy - Hopeful Signs Emerging
Old 11-29-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alternative Energy - Hopeful Signs Emerging

Lately I've been reading about companies getting serious about alternatives to oil.
Company I used to work for has a big sugar plantation on Maui. They barely make money at it. Now that oil is priced so high, they are looking into using the sugar cane as a source for ethanol production. Maybe someday we won't have to rely on the middle east for oil.

BP to boost alternative-energy outlay
By ALEX MACDONALD and SPENCER SWARTZ
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
November 29, 2005; Page D6

LONDON -- BP PLC said it will plow profit from its oil-and-gas business into alternative-energy projects through a new business unit, BP Alternative Energy. BP said it expects to invest as much as $8 billion in alternative-energy projects, including solar, wind, hydrogen and carbon-abatement technology, over 10 years.

The investment represents a fraction of BP's annual $14 billion-to-$16 billion capital-expenditure program, but it marks as much as an eightfold increase from the $1 billion spent over the past decade, Chief Executive John Browne said at a news briefing.

Lord Browne said he expects the unit to achieve a 15% return on capital employed annually by investing in equal proportions in solar, wind, hydrogen and combined-cycle gas-fired power generation.

Equity analyst Jason Kennedy of ING Group welcomed the consolidation of BP's alternative-energy projects into one business unit, but he said he didn't expect the unit to "have a huge impact" on short-term earnings.

BP's solar unit is a critical plank in its alternative-energy business and was profitable for the first time last year, Lord Browne said. The company plans to double its solar capacity from roughly 100 megawatts of capacity in the U.S., Spain, India and Australia.

"It's encouraging to see that they're joining up all the different parts of their renewable business and making it a core focus," said Tony Juniper, chief executive of the environmental organization Friends of the Earth.

But he added that more needs to be done to increase the pace of alternative-energy investment: "They're just making investment in the part that's market-ready," Mr. Juniper said.

Lord Browne said BP was planning a carbon-sequestration project for 2006-07 in which carbon emissions from power plants would be reinjected in fallow offshore gas and oil fields.

Lord Browne said BP looked to hire "several hundred" staff, including engineers, to support its plan for alternative and renewable energy, which is among the biggest by a major oil company.

He added that peak oil production could come in 2020 but said it was difficult to gauge, partly because of the shifting economics of the oil industry.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Alternative Energy - Hopeful Signs Emerging
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #2

Dan: Brazil has done the same thing but has also made it national policy. A large percentage of the vehicles run on gasoline or pure ethanol--or a mixture of both. This allows them to easily switch percentages when oil prices rise or sugar prices drop. It smooths out the economic shocks. But that we were such advanced thinkers about our future.

There are a few is at least one alternative energy ETFs out there, a Canadian one, I believe. I have this stock in my watch list: KHD.TO, a hydro play.

--Greg
Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Dan: Brazil has done the same thing but has also made it national policy. A large percentage of the vehicles run on gasoline or pure ethanol--or a mixture of both. This allows them to easily switch percentages when oil prices rise or sugar prices drop. It smooths out the economic shocks. But that we were such advanced thinkers about our future.

There are a few is at least one alternative energy ETFs out there, a Canadian one, I believe. I have this stock in my watch list: KHD.TO, a hydro play.

--Greg
Hey Greg,
So, Canadian Hydro Developers (KHD.TO) is developing Wind Farms also, I see. The gov't awarded them C$675 million for 2 wind farms - there's money in passing wind after all. Does the K stand for Kanadian?
I found an ETF - Powershares WilderHill Clean Energy (PBW). "The fund is based on the WilderHill Clean Energy Index. The fund seeks to deliver capital appreciation. The Index is comprised of companies that focus on greener and generally renewable sources of energy and technologies facilitating cleaner energy."

Here's a link to some nitty gritty.
http://www.etfconnect.com/select/fun...sp?MFID=141369

Here's some more:

http://www.powershares.com/images/pdf/pbwfund.pdf
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #4

Dan, thanks for the information. ETFConnect is my hymnal in the pew of life investments. I'll add PBW to my growth watch list. I'll have to find one to dump though.

--Greg