Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Makes sense to me. Even if the elec motor just helped get it up to 10 miles an hour....that's where those big vehicles really suck fuel.

Lutz is a smart guy. When I saw that I immediately thought torque. It is great that my Tesla has amazing torque but that is really just an excuse to accelerate too fast in traffic. At least for me.

If I had a pickup truck and was actually carrying a heavy load or towing something , then is when you genuinely need torque.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I think I have said this before.....but I wish they had kept small pickups. Not what they call small now.....but late 70's small. Really useful vehicles.....and my old Datsun got about 30mpg way back then.
Yes, we had an approx '77 Datsun that was a heck of a useful vehicle. It rattled a lot more and was noisier inside than today's trucks, but it got good mileage and was very reliable.

I've wondered why the drop-side pickup/flatbed bodystyle has never caught on in the US for light trucks, it is popular overseas. It's great to be able to load/unload stuff from the sides (e.g. loading 10-15 sheets of drywall or OSB using a forklift at Home Depot) rather than having to slide things in from the back.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess the magnetic signs I see on the doors of trucks at Home Depot will be falling off into the parking lot for the F150s.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I always had 4 bangers for commuting and station vehicles and they were more than adequate for that. But now that I tow and regularly ramble down Forest Service "roads" I find that there is simply no substitute for a heavy, big engine, 4WD vehicle for these tasks. I also appreciate the ability to throw hundreds of pounds of chopped up tree (free firewood) in whenever I roll past a tree trimming site. Gubmint mandates be damned! I love my cowboy Cadillac.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Over the years (since the early 80's) I've owned a Toyota, a Nissan and now a small Chevy pickup and they all averaged around 20mpg. I think the relatively poor fuel economy is one of the reasons most folks just go for the full size. I think my Colorado 4x4 extended cab is almost 4k lbs. and it's rear wheel drive, body on frame construction. I'd like to have something that got 30mpg that didn't cost an arm and a leg.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of diesel pickups here in Texas. But we use them for work activities rather that just a run to the mall or Starbucks.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

The aluminum used on the body of the new F150 was developed with Alcoa and help from the USDOD. New military vehicles are using aluminum to save fuel costs and there hasn't been many complaints over it.

The aluminum panels are more resistant to door dings than standard steel skinned doors.
Blazerdude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Most 1/2-T pickups are really cars with a large trunk. A "real" truck needs more low-end torque (think diesel), a different transmission/differential combo, and a stiffer, bulkier chassis and suspension. Think F350...

Don't get me wrong, loved my Silverado 1/2-T, but it really didn't have much capacity for carrying heavy stuff, and was too perty to be a work truck... :-P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, truck body