Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
How many stamps^^ is that?

omni
I forget exactly as I stocked up several years ago. I say about 200-300 stamps doing an estimate of how many mailings I do in a year times how many years left before I may kick the bucket.

A Forever stamp at that time was about 43 cents.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
One thing to bear in mind is the shelf life of the item you are stashing. For example, will the elastic in underwear lose it's elasticity after a number of years? If you're only stashing it for a couple of years, probably not, but I wonder if your undies will be as good as new if you don't start using them until 5 or 10 years after first buying them.

Something to consider.
Not so much elastic wearing out I'd worry about but the battle of the bulge. Had some totally new underwear that when time to use didn't fit anymore .
Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Am I Cheap?
Yes.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Big difference between cheap and frugal. Pinching pennies and saving where you can is frugal.
Not buying something you want and can afford because you just won't spend money is cheap, imo
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Plenty of reasons not to stockpile--many things, not just food, have a shelf life. Stockpiling takes storage space, expensive space if you need to freeze it, and a long power outage can wipe out your stockpile (or you spend more money for a backup generator). Things go out of style. Things may no longer fit. Things may be improved such that you no longer want the old, inferior product. Some things can be made more efficiently and will go down in price in the future, so you really aren't saving, and in fact are tying up money that could be invested. Needs can change.

Toothbrushes are an example for me, in a very small way. I bought 6 or a dozen in bulk years ago. Went to a new dentist who gave me a new brush every 6 months, so I wasn't using the ones I bought. And now my newest dentist is recommending a much softer brush, so I really shouldn't even be using those old ones I bought. I'll probably just phase them out as travel brushes, or eventually use them anyway even though they aren't what I want to use.

I've also run into issues with stockpiling running shoes that had been working well for me that went out of production. I bought 6 or 8 pair of a road shoe, and 3 or 4 of a trail shoe. But since then I've found better shoes, so I'm just using them sometimes for shorter runs or hikes to give my newer, better shoes a break. Luckily they were also on deep sale when they were being phased out.

One more kind of funny story. I used to play a lot of golf, and always walked, and I was pretty rough on golf bags. I like the two strap kind, but many didn't seem to be built well. I found one that had great reviews and had everything I wanted, at a good price, so I bought two. Well, that turned out to be the indestructible bag. It's at least 10 years old and shows hardly any sign of wear. And I play very little golf anymore. So I have this second bag taking up closet space. It probably will eventually get used, and it's good to know I've got a reliable backup. I could sell it, but chances are very high that two weeks later the first one would suddenly go to pieces.

And yet, I still buy in bulk, but I try not to go overboard with a lifetime supply or things that don't make sense to stockpile.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

My late husband stockpiled underwear . After He died I was packing up things for goodwill and luckily I looked closely at the packages of underwear . He had over six hundred dollars hidden in them for emergencies .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #27

Being cheap is fine, as long as the time/space part of the equation works out as well.

Going to 12 different stores to save 30c on those widgets means you've spent more gas, and more of your free time, than you'll get back in the savings.
Having closets overstuffed with what-sits can create clutter and may get forgotten before they are used.

One thing I have to stop doing.Seeing something on crazy sale that I LOVE but need to drop about 5lbs to wear and look good. Get it anyway because it's so marked down. One of three things happen:

Lose 5lbs... it doesn't look so good because the shoulders dropped more or something.
Lose 5lbs... eh, under-calculated, needs more like 10....
Lose 5lbs... go shopping for something new and forget about the thing hidden away
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I stock up when things are on sale, but rarely more than a few months worth as sales always cycle and it will be on sale again unless it's a clearance of a discontinued item.

I do remember about 8 years ago when a sporting goods/shoe store in a local mall was closing and had a 50% - 70% off sale. The good quality running shoes that I normally wear that cost around $120 at the regular price were being blown out for $40. There was one pair left on display and I asked the clerk if they had any more in the back. She came back and said they had 5 more pairs left in my size in storage, so I bought all 6 pairs.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I stock up when things are on sale, but rarely more than a few months worth as sales always cycle and it will be on sale again unless it's a clearance of a discontinued item.

I do remember about 8 years ago when a sporting goods/shoe store in a local mall was closing and had a 50% - 70% off sale. The good quality running shoes that I normally wear that cost around $120 at the regular price were being blown out for $40. There was one pair left on display and I asked the clerk if they had any more in the back. She came back and said they had 5 more pairs left in my size in storage, so I bought all 6 pairs.

Beat me to it....

I also buy bulk for food items that can sit on a shelf when it is on sale... especially if we go through it quickly... I also buy stuff we can put in the outside freezer... Sam's club runs will get a couple of boxes of something and one goes in the freezer outside and one inside.... and Sam's does run sales on some of the items so it is worth it...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

Should have bought a 20 year supply of Tide laundry detergent before they took out the phosphates as well...
I have a neighbor that bought Trisodium Phosphate at the hardware store , she adds I think a cup to the laundry and a spoon to the dishwasher. We were considering doing it , but the bride said A) we might poison ourselves, and 2) the clothes and dishes come out O.K.(not great, but passable).
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Am I cheap?
Yep.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My late husband stockpiled underwear . After He died I was packing up things for goodwill and luckily I looked closely at the packages of underwear . He had over six hundred dollars hidden in them for emergencies .
I always have a stash of dough in the underwear draw too.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
A 6-pack of good toothbrushes is $1 at Walmart.
Yes they are.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I forget exactly as I stocked up several years ago. I say about 200-300 stamps doing an estimate of how many mailings I do in a year times how many years left before I may kick the bucket.

A Forever stamp at that time was about 43 cents.
Oh no, are we going to have another SWR thread?
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

As I'm sure you're aware, a lot of clothing mfrs have gone to "Small/Medium/Large" each of which covers 2 sizes (small is 4-6, for example). It helps resolve that "5 lbs over/under" business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

One thing I have to stop doing.Seeing something on crazy sale that I LOVE but need to drop about 5lbs to wear and look good. Get it anyway because it's so marked down. One of three things happen:

Lose 5lbs... it doesn't look so good because the shoulders dropped more or something.
Lose 5lbs... eh, under-calculated, needs more like 10....
Lose 5lbs... go shopping for something new and forget about the thing hidden away
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
As I'm sure you're aware, a lot of clothing mfrs have gone to "Small/Medium/Large" each of which covers 2 sizes (small is 4-6, for example). It helps resolve that "5 lbs over/under" business.
I'm a 5'7" male, fit, 160-165 pounds. I now need to purchase a large when buying a T-shirt, as opposed to medium a couple decades ago when I was the exact same size. Since when is a 5'7" and 160 pound male "large"...
Old 08-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Does pretty much having a lifetime supply of forever stamps fall in that category? That's what I did .
Same here!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'm a 5'7" male, fit, 160-165 pounds. I now need to purchase a large when buying a T-shirt, as opposed to medium a couple decades ago when I was the exact same size. Since when is a 5'7" and 160 pound male "large"...

Vanity sizing- drives me crazy. I'm female, 5'7", keep my weight under 130 and some of my pants are size 8. Really? At the same weight 30 years ago I was a size 12. Apparently women, at least, are more likely to buy something that fits if it's labeled with a smaller size than they expected.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #39

I don't know, man. I'm cheap, too, but I wouldn't want to have 50 toothbrushes and a lifetime supply of underwear.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Vanity sizing- drives me crazy. I'm female, 5'7", keep my weight under 130 and some of my pants are size 8. Really? At the same weight 30 years ago I was a size 12. Apparently women, at least, are more likely to buy something that fits if it's labeled with a smaller size than they expected.
Ah, so the female sizes are reduced from reality and the male sizes are increased...

I also notice that my feet have grown from size 8 to 9 or 9.5...