Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Deal of the Day: H&R Block Deluxe + State
Old 11-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Amazon Deal of the Day: H&R Block Deluxe + State

My annual post. For those interested, H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2018 + Refund Bonus Offer is the Amazon.com Deal of the Day at $18.00.
tsoispf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks - I use this for my taxes so the deal is perfect for me.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #3

More talk about buying tax software over here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ata-94591.html
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks....I got it this time and it's the CD version so no need to go thru wacky Amazon software download process!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I jumped on this one.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks! I'm anticipating getting a new laptop that may not have a CD drive. Is the download process that painful?
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Thanks! I'm anticipating getting a new laptop that may not have a CD drive. Is the download process that painful?
I did it a couple of days ago and it was simple, quick and totally painless.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now you can buy an external CD drive and deduct it as expense of doing you taxes. Right?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Frank gave me his external CD drive which he no longer needs, when I bought my new laptop (which doesn't have a CD drive).

Maybe you have a friend with an extra one, also? I think there are a billion of these drives floating around in households all across the US.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Download process is simple. You get an email with an activation code, and a button to click on to start the download. It takes you to your Amazon account, click the button, answer Save to the download, and your file will be downloaded in just a few minutes.

Click the download library in your browser and click the .exe file, it will open and install. Took longer for the credit card approval than to download, install, open, and enter the activation code.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It is very simple. I have been using this process for several years and it has worked well. Your purchase is saved online so you can download it whenever you need it. It stays in your virtual library forever (or at least as long as Amazon is a viable company ).
Old 11-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
It is very simple. I have been using this process for several years and it has worked well. Your purchase is saved online so you can download it whenever you need it. It stays in your virtual library forever (or at least as long as Amazon is a viable company ).
Plus, you can save the downloaded file to a thumb drive or burn it to a cd. to keep it with all your other backed up files.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, not really but it's a seperate portal that you have to navigate which was unexpected first time through. The key thing is you can choose download or CD whereas the CD is sometimes an extra charge. I chose no-rush delivery and got $5 Whole Foods gift card....probably only way I'll go to WF.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I did not get a gift card

Also, without state it it 50 cents cheaper...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #15

The only issue I had with the downloaded version was my Windows security. I had to go in to the Windows Defender Security Center and click on the Virus & threat protection, then click on Virus & threat protection settings, scroll down to Controlled folder access and click on Manage Controlled Folder Access. From here you can either turn off the toggle so the tax program will load, or leave it on and select the 'Allow an app through controlled folder access'.
From there, find the folder where the .exe for HR block's software and add it. I found it easier to just turn it off, execute the install, then turn it back on.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #16

Thanks everyone. I decided to download the H&RB software to my existing laptop. It was very easy. Hopefully when I get my new laptop I can re-download it from Amazon's servers.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

OP - thanks, this is the tax software we use and $18 is cheaper than I've ever seen it.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #18

I ran my preliminary tax return on it this morning and came up with some pretty wacky results, so I’m hoping it’s just related to the software not being finalized. I file married filing separately and it concluded that I can’t take the standard deduction even though I have zero itemized deductions. So it just shows zero deductions for me. There’s a box being checked saying I’m not eligible to take the standard deduction but I have no idea why that would be. Hopefully just some early bugs that need to be worked out and not a new change to the tax law that I’m not aware of.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #19

Thanks. $ 18 + $ 1.62 tax, free ship, Total. $19.62 CA.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I ran my preliminary tax return on it this morning and came up with some pretty wacky results, so I’m hoping it’s just related to the software not being finalized. I file married filing separately and it concluded that I can’t take the standard deduction even though I have zero itemized deductions. So it just shows zero deductions for me. There’s a box being checked saying I’m not eligible to take the standard deduction but I have no idea why that would be. Hopefully just some early bugs that need to be worked out and not a new change to the tax law that I’m not aware of.
Does it think your spouse is itemizing? You can't claim the standard deduction if the spouse itemizes. That's nothing new though.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote