Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For me, the speedier shipping is a great way to spend some discretionary money. Before I had Prime, I never paid for faster shipping; it's not that I *need* faster shipping. It just makes me very happy. I know that probably isn't true for everyone, but it is for me; I get more happiness per dollar from spending this money on Prime, than from any other use that I can think of.
+1

Since we cut the cable TV cord (and saved that money), what little TV we do watch is Amazon Prime Video (included, and PLENTY to choose from), so it's a win-win.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #162
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

To be honest, it's pretty rude to say it's a no-brainer, after I told you I decided it's not for me. You are in effect, saying I have no brain. Yes, that's rude. You should realize some people use their brain, and come to a different conclusion than you for their circumstance. Does that make them stupid?
I think the term "no brainer" is not meant to be taken literally. In this case, my guess is "no brainer" means it is easy to figure out if it is or is not a good deal for you.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think the term "no brainer" is not meant to be taken literally. In this case, my guess is "no brainer" means it is easy to figure out if it is or is not a good deal for you.
correct
Old 06-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How is it 'a lot of consternation' (consternation: Feelings of anxiety or dismay, typically at something unexpected.), to not want to pay for something I wouldn't get much, if any value from?

I avoid those routine monthly/annual bills if I can. I'd rather pick and choose value as I see it. Just not a fan of subscription services in general, unless there is a clear benefit for me.

The shipping would be a no-brainer if I was spending >$99 annually to expedite shipments, but I don't. So why should I spend $99 to 'save' what I don't spend anyhow?

I did say it's worth it for some people. I'm not trying to apply my situation to anyone else. I do wonder if some people over-estimate the benefit of the 2 day shipping though, like I said, I rarely care if I get it in less than 10 days. And I can pay if I do need it, and it would be less than $99.

To be honest, it's pretty rude to say it's a no-brainer, after I told you I decided it's not for me. You are in effect, saying I have no brain. Yes, that's rude. You should realize some people use their brain, and come to a different conclusion than you for their circumstance. Does that make them stupid?

OK, now maybe I'm in 'consternation' territory!

-ERD50
you answered your own question

IMO, life is too short to quibble about something as trivial as $8 a month. The length of this thread is somewhat shocking, actually.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For me, the speedier shipping is a great way to spend some discretionary money. Before I had Prime, I never paid for faster shipping; it's not that I *need* faster shipping. It just makes me very happy. I know that probably isn't true for everyone, but it is for me; I get more happiness per dollar from spending this money on Prime, than from any other use that I can think of.

I don't use many of the other benefits of Amazon Prime but I get a lot of value from it.
We got prime way back when it first came out at $79 per year in 2005.

We got it because a) it removed the $25 minimum for free shipping so we didn't have to hassle with waiting until we had enough items in our cart to go over that limit before ordering and b) we got things in two days instead of a week, great for last minute needs.

We essentially saw it as a pre-paying for fast shipping. For us a "convenience" fee.

As a consequence, we started ordering a lot more from Amazon as the barriers (cost, time) of ordering online were removed/lowered. No surprise there, I'm sure Amazon figured people would do exactly as we did.

Then when we changed to the full-time RV the two-day shipping was a real lifesaver as we rarely stayed anywhere more than a week, and it was great to be able to get something fast when we needed it.

Amazon added some other perks and raised the price to $99 a couple of years ago.

We still comparison shop for both price and delivery. We still order a lot from Amazon as well as occasionally from other online suppliers.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

We still comparison shop for both price and delivery. We still order a lot from Amazon as well as occasionally from other online suppliers.
free shipping makes it so much easier to get the small things, like shoestrings or valve stem caps, etc.

certainly beats going to the store
Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I suppose, but maybe people should be more careful in using that term. If I haven't already, I should post that to the 'pet peeves' thread .

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suppose, but maybe people should be more careful in using that term. If I haven't already, I should post that to the 'pet peeves' thread .

-ERD50
my apologies. I rarely resort to name calling.

In common parlance, the term is used to denote easy decisions. I meant no offense.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
free shipping makes it so much easier to get the small things, like shoestrings or valve stem caps, etc.

Definitely!

There is both a cost in time and $ for getting in the car and driving to the store. Here the grocery stores are 20 mins away, and farther to the big box stores.

And you had better make sure they have what you want!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

My 1st order with Amazon was in 1997. They keep my account record forever, else I would not remember.

Tried their "free" Prime once, then cancelled it as I do not buy enough "stuff" to make it worthwhile. I have noticed the slow shipping once or twice, same as the OP did. Don't know the reason, but I noticed.

I do not use Amazon as much as some people. I have found that oddball things that I need such as pool and RV parts are also available on eBay for roughly the same price with shipping considered. And by choosing vendors in the same state or nearby ones, I often get the merchandise in 1 to 3 days. Selling on eBay is very competitive, and vendors try hard to get good reviews as that is the only thing that differentiate them, prices being often the same between them.

PS. I once got a shipment from an eBay vendor that came with Amazon markings! This guy apparently sold on both venues.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my apologies. I rarely resort to name calling.

In common parlance, the term is used to denote easy decisions. I meant no offense.
OK, thanks - accepted.

I just saw your follow up, and...

Quote:

No big deal, but I can say this isn't a problem for me. With the $35 or $25 limit for free non-Prime shipping, I just keep a bunch of 'need someday, non time critical' things on a wish list, and use them to fill out the cart if I need, or add them on if I'm getting to the point that I'm running low on that small item and already hit the $25/$35 requirement. Amazon makes it easy.

-ERD50.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not use Amazon as much as some people. I have found that oddball things that I need such as pool and RV parts are also available on eBay for roughly the same price with shipping considered. And by choosing vendors in the same state or nearby ones, I often get the merchandise in 1 to 3 days.
Ahhh, I need to check that. Most of the stuff I bought on ebay is the 'slow boat from China' variety. Very cheap. But now I recall you can select the distance for the seller, so I should try that when I am looking on ebay, and not the cheap China kind of thing.

-ERD50
Old 06-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

When I need some small parts in a hurry, for example a Klixon bimetallic temperature switch, instead of using a Chinese vendor I would specify a US vendor and pay another $1 to get it quick.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote