Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's why I like it so much, Martha. You can carry a bunch of books without the bulk. The drawbacks are what you listed. You can't lend a book or resell.

However for people who always buy books, they would probably save $$ since the more expensive books are $9.99.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
But I sure would like one for winter traveling, I wouldn't have to haul a big pile of books.
Traveling is when this gizmo really shines. Aside from the small size, you can buy books from anywhere and they get downloaded in minutes. Lots of free public domain classics, too. If you hear about a book while you are traveling, you can buy it while in your car, eating lunch, etc.

It also is a web browser with a built in air card - much more convenient than a computer when en route. Another advantage is that you can make the font larger and smaller - for my old eyes that's a big help in dim surroundings or if I forget my readers.

But you lack the "comfort" factor of a real book.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd also enjoy having one, but 99% of the books I read are totally free. The library is too good to be true.

BTW, reading a PDF book on your laptop can be better than you might imagine, if you rotate the screen. Most laptops let you press Ctl-Alt-Right Arrow (or ctl-alt-left arrow), to change your screen to "portrait mode." (Ctl-alt-up arrow to return to regular).

Here I am reading The Glycemic Load Diet on my laptop. The contrast is much better than it looks in this photo.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cool! I had no idea. All the dang pdfs that I have awkwardly read scrolled through unnecessarily! Damn!

Thanks you.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

And you can turn the picture upside down with control, alt, down arrow!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was going to order one until I read on Amazon, that with the new one #2, you can not jump ahead chapters or back chapters to refer to something. You have to go page by page. If this is true, then that takes away the appeal to me. Can anyone verify this?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I love my Kindle. Having spent a lot of airport time recently, I was very happy to have a number of books on my Kindle. I found this link that has a lot of free Kindle books. I ordered quite a few; just check for the $0.00 price.

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Kindle Store. Updated hourly.
TY for the link.
An added feature on this page is to sort by Price Low to High (upper right side, small rectangular pull down option window) and all the free and $0.99 price books are listed first.
I got a great Chinese cookbook for $2.49 and several free books. Some are classic oldies but goodies, some looked a little more recent. The reader reviews at the bottom of each selection's web page were helpful.
I just read my first whole book, Call of the Wild, and can report no eye strain. I really liked the automatic "return to last page read" feature, which serves as a bookmark between sessions.
My Kindle2 has no native PDF reader, but I can just read those files on my laptop. No biggie. I think the KindleDX has a PDF reader. Not worth it for the huge price jump to the DX, IMO.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I was going to order one until I read on Amazon, that with the new one #2, you can not jump ahead chapters or back chapters to refer to something. You have to go page by page. If this is true, then that takes away the appeal to me. Can anyone verify this?
I'm a total beginner at Kindle operation...but I believe the chapters have to be "enabled" to do this. I used Search This Book to move between chapters that were not enabled, or to find a key phrase. Once all the instances were found, and a "found" list was displayed, I was able to select whichever chapter (or instance of keyword found) I wanted to go to. Some of the books I have downloaded had selectable chapters, some did not.
Some of the more practiced users here may know a better way to navigate chapters and sections.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Us presbyopians want to know if the Kindle's text can be made big enough to read without glasses, yet still remain small enough that you're not "turning the page" every fourth word.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Us presbyopians want to know if the Kindle's text can be made big enough to read without glasses, yet still remain small enough that you're not "turning the page" every fourth word.
Yes.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, you should see how that looks on a 23" LCD monitor!

Most excellent.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #32

Is it true that you don´t get tired after reading for a bit, like you do when reading on your PC, that the print and definition are like in normal books?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Is it true that you don´t get tired after reading for a bit, like you do when reading on your PC, that the print and definition are like in normal books?
I get tired reading both books and Kindles. But most of my pleasure reading is at bedtime anyhow .

I miss the physical parts of books - the different fonts, the cover art, the sound and feel of turning the pages, and so on. But the advantages of the kindle are pretty significant for me. The more I use it the more I like it. Sometimes just for variety I'll switch fonts mid-book.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yes.
Woke me up!
Is this the largest text size on a Kindle1 ?

On my Kindle2, the largest font size on a 3.5" W x 5" H display area (6" diagonal) comes out to 5/16" high with 12 lines of wraparound text on each display page.
I am currently using it at 2 font sizes lower than the maximum. The font size selected will increase with future changes in my eyesight, which is still pretty good. For now...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I get tired reading both books and Kindles.
Until recently, I got tired if I read for many hours. My optometrist gave me this tip: When you are reading, and the text doesn't seem clear, you'll have a tendency to move the book closer. That can make the problem worse, of course, and this positive feedback situation makes you get tired.

I was skeptical, but I now make it a point to hold the book a little further away, especially if the text doesn't seem clear. This has made a big difference, and I can now read all day.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #36

There was a time that I could sit for hours, reading. Now, either with a book or with Kindle, I get sleepy in about 45 minutes. Like Rich, I tend to read before bed...makes me drowsy. I tend to push my glasses up on top of my head if the words get blurry. I'm nearsighted and have bifocals.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #37

Bumping this thread up.

Latest on the Kindle is that Amazon will allow users to download a PC-Kindle reader free in November.

Local News | Amazon to release free Kindle software for PC | Seattle Times Newspaper

Combined with the buzz over the B&N device (called the Nook), could we be seeing the ability to download and share books electronically someday? Barnes & Noble allows their members to download their e-reader free from iTunes. Here's a techie review of the device.

Barnes & Noble enters the e-Reader market

-- Rita
Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #38

The Nook (reportedly) will allow people to 'share' an e-book with friends with a Nook, PC or smart phones. The shared book is good for 14 days at a time.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I haven't really looked into this, but isn't there a big chance that the consumables that one uses with one of these readers will bump up recurring expenses quite a lot?

Ha
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

We'll see how this goes. AS a Kindle owner I find the main advantages are the small size, lack of a need for power (the rechargeable battery lasts weeks), and the built-in web connection for browsing and downloading new books even when away from a computer.

A PC version would seem to offer none of the above.