Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Kindle ... again
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon Kindle ... again

There have been a few threads on the Amazon Kindle in the past and I wondered if any of the Kindle owners had updates on how well they liked it.

Amazon.com is selling it for $359, but there is a $50 off code since Oprah Winfrey featured it on one of her shows last week.

The code is OPRAHWINFREY and it is valid through 11/1/08.

Anyone have feedback? I'm toying with getting one for myself for Christmas.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #2

There are two new versions coming out soon - one the same size but thinner than the current one I think - the other I hear will have a larger screen (close to an 8.5x11 sheet of paper) for easier reading (my wife is waiting for this one) - I haven't heard anything on pricing for the new ones.

This is probably part of the reason for the $50 off promotion
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

This post is from a Kindle, my portable computer. Not sure when it will cut me off. Seems to have a word limit.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got a Kindle for my wife for her birthday, and she's been using it for a month or so. I'm not sure if they are still offering it, but at the time they were offering $70 off if you used an Amazon credit card. Added to the $30 bonus for opening a card, the $100 off was too much to pass up. And the bonus points on the card are decent, too.

My wife has been enjoying using it. She hasn't had any trouble with accidental button presses, nor the speed of page redraws, which are two of the more common negative comments. Web surfing is pretty slow and frustrating, which isn't that surprising since it isn't really designed for that. She is really into reading fan fiction (mostly Harry Potter), so she'll copy and paste into notepad and then upload it onto the Kindle. Works great! We actually haven't bought any books through the Kindle store yet.

At the time we bought it, the release date for the new Kindle versions wasn't really known, so we figured we might as well go ahead and get one. Not sure if there's been an update since then.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #5

I did check into the next version of Kindle and it looks like it won't be released until sometime next year, possibly mid-year.

Thanks for the feedback...I'm still thinking about it. I already have the Amazon.com credit card so the points would be all I would get. And the $50 code is all I've found so far.....However $309 is better than the $399 that I remember when it was first released.

Kronk, I did find a list of other places to download books (some free) in one of the kindle discussion threads. I'll see if I can find it again.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Kronk, I did find a list of other places to download books (some free) in one of the kindle discussion threads. I'll see if I can find it again.
There are several. Main Page - Gutenberg is one of the biggest.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #7

My husband and I both own Kindles and love them. We got them because we love to read, can adjust the font size and can travel with a lot of reading material with out carrying the weight of actual books.
I leave mine in the cover that comes with the device. Some people have complained that the Kindle slips out, which it does at times. The fix is to use self adhesive Velcro on the device and on the cover to stop this. The other complaint is lighting. This device is not back lit like a computer, which is great comfort wise, however it is a problem if you are in a low light situation. You can use a clip on book light and there is a lot of discussion as to which one to use. Amazon is pushing one on their site to go along with the Kindle but some of the feed back is less that encouraging. I finally bought a clip on light from LLBean which works great. Plenty of bright, blue colored light that is easy to aim on the text that I am reading and easy on the eyes. It cost about $16 and some change is light weight, uses LEDs and clips right on the Kindle cover.

The price will give some people pause however if you are a heavy reader, like we are, it may be worth it to you when you consider ease of use and the cost of the reading material you purchase to use on the device. The average is $10.00.
A major down side is that not every book we want is available on the Kindle so we are still buying printed material. I expect that to change over time as there are more and more Kindles in use.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered one; can't wait until it gets here.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I've also toyed with buying one . I read constantly and when I travel I leave a trail of books behind me . I've seen the Sony reader for $299 but I've heard better things about the kindle .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I still can't see paying $300 plus near-hardback prices for ebooks. Two years ago I bought a Gemstar/eBookwise reader for $100. They are still sold on eBay. This has an LCD screen and is thicker than Kindle, but it suits me and I've yet to buy an ebook.
alvarezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, I recently had to replace my iPod and got an iPod Touch. There are readers for this and despite the small screen it is excellent. You can have the text scroll like a teleprompter (where you control the speed by tilting the ipod), or just use normal paging. The background and font colors and size are modifiable and the screen and resolution are very crisp.

I would have said that nothing that small could ever replace a full size reader (which I have only looked at briefly) but now I'm not so sure. For the moment, though, I have not seen much in the way of contemporary books available though that will probably change knowing Apple.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just received a Kindle 2 from dh2b for my birthday.
This thing is really cool.
I found the free gutenberg site and downloaded a few classic books.
I use my laptop to download groups of books because I can navigate the website easily and use a simple Move File to transfer them to the Kindle.
I'm starting out with Call of the Wild, Alice in Wonderland, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, 2 history books about Atlantis, and a Greek and Roman mythology tome.

I can live with reading older books. There are so many I never had time for reading while in school and then w*rking.

There is updated info at the Wikipedia site for current and wannabe owners.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#File_formats
Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Another convert, congrats, Freebird! I like to read this forum on my aging Kindle1 when I'm out to lunch.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I normally need to wear my glasses to read anything printed to avoid headaches. I just love the text size adjustment feature. The Kindle font sizes are so much better than standard printed book font size. The contrast is very good on the eyes.
I also have hand problems, and sometimes the gripping of an open book makes my thumbs ache after a half hour or so. This Kindle 2 is so lightweight I don't even know I'm holding it. I have the book style device cover, which rests nicely on my knees, footrest up and tilted back in the recliner. All in all a very ergonomic solution, visually and physically.

It gets a "Happy 10" from me.

The Kindle2 screen is much smaller than the Kindle1. The internet web site display is fragmented across several display pages and not very usable, or I just lack patience.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

What a wonderful birthday present! Have fun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I still like my 2nd generation Kindle, though I miss the look and feel of real books. It really shines during travel, when you can pack it anywhere, load it witih as many books as you want and sort of browse the web from almost anywhere. I say "sort of" because the built-in browser leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall, though, it's a winner.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
.... The internet web site display is fragmented across several display pages and not very usable, or I just lack patience.
If you bring ER forums up on your Kindle screen, somewhere on the site it gives you the option of switching to display for mobile device. It works well enough for me but I was motivated because I didn't have a home computer at the time. Mobile web browsing isn't for everyone. These days I just use it for ER forums, stock quotes, library catalog (don't want to buy a Kindle book if the library has it) and crossword puzzle answers.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #18

I love my Kindle. Having spent a lot of airport time recently, I was very happy to have a number of books on my Kindle. I found this link that has a lot of free Kindle books. I ordered quite a few; just check for the $0.00 price.

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Kindle Store. Updated hourly.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I love my Kindle. Having spent a lot of airport time recently, I was very happy to have a number of books on my Kindle. I found this link that has a lot of free Kindle books. I ordered quite a few; just check for the $0.00 price.

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Kindle Store. Updated hourly.

Wow - I just scanned the list - thank you for providing the link, KB!! I have not purchased a Kindle yet, but I sure am intrigued. I am still waiting and hoping that the local library will figure out a way to loan out electronic books for users to download/borrow - maybe with a file self-destruct method after 3 weeks borrowed. I read so much that I don't dare purchase everything I read (or I'd be poor) - I love the idea of freebies and borrowing.

I guess one downside I thought of is that if you have a book on your Kindle that you really enjoyed and decide to recommend the book to a friend - you can't loan them the book without loaning them the entire Kindle (or is there something I'm missing?)

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

What is keeping me away is the price of the books. The books you buy apparently can't be resold, so Moeng's method of buying and reselling books doesn't work. Plus, I just stocked up at the annual library book sale (50 cents a paperback, 1.00 for hardcover) and bought 75 books. That should last a while.

But I sure would like one for winter traveling, I wouldn't have to haul a big pile of books.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote