Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We've been paying sales tax on Amazon purchases in Texas since 2012. Fulfilled by Amazon usually does not charge sales tax. I think it depends on where the vendor is located.
Interesting! I had no idea. Thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Historically sales tax has been charged if the vendor has a physical presence in the state. If your state has an Amazon warehouse you'll be charged sales tax on at least some items. Amazon has negotiated details with some states on this issue, for example I think you won't be charged sales tax on items fulfilled by Amazon if the outfit selling the item does not have a presence in your state.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Historically sales tax has been charged if the vendor has a physical presence in the state. If your state has an Amazon warehouse you'll be charged sales tax on at least some items. Amazon has negotiated details with some states on this issue, for example I think you won't be charged sales tax on items fulfilled by Amazon if the outfit selling the item does not have a presence in your state.
I face this with every Amazon order. We have a warehouse in AZ so I get my stuff 2-3 days without Prime, but get charged sales tax. Since most of the deliveries are ship to Post Office and since we don't get mail delivery. I usually have things sent to my New Mexico Post Office, no tax and it is 15 miles closer than my AZ PO.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Then you have to pay the tax directly to the state at the end of the year. A real pain to keep all those records.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Yep, collection of sales/use tax from outside of a state's jurisdiction is limited by the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, and upheld by Quill Corp. vs. North Dakota in 1992. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quill_...._North_Dakota
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Then you have to pay the tax directly to the state at the end of the year. A real pain to keep all those records.
Heh, sure you do.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...I think there's a silver lining here somewhere but it just hasn't shown up yet.
Just ask the state and local tax collectors. I'm sure they get a big smile every time Amazon sends them a big, fat check.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
BTW anybody else getting charged tax with Amazon?
Yes, they started charging WV residents sales tax (6%) several years ago.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm sure everybody does that.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I'm sure everybody does that.
You mean some people don't? I am shocked, simply shocked and appalled that anyone would even think of it.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I get a lot faster service if the item is either sold by Amazon, or "Fulfilled by Amazon". I seldom buy anything that isn't sold or fulfilled by Amazon. And, I always doublecheck to make sure it is in stock, by clicking on the buying options since being out of stock is usually noted there too.

The really long waits that I have had, have been for third party items which are not fulfilled by Amazon. My speculation is that perhaps they are out of stock and have to make the item, or maybe they just don't care.
Chances are that things neither sold by or fulfilled by Amazon are not prime eligible, as Amazon has no control over the shipping process.
Note that due to amazon's move into the shipping space Fed-ex has decided to move into consumer order fullfillment. (They and UPS do it for computer parts etc already, moving the parts warehouse to Louisville or Memphis so that they can ship overnight)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a prime member and like the expediency of the service.

I have found, however, that if I order an item and arrange for it to arrive at my sister's house, which is 1 mile from my house in Jacksonville, FL, I will receive the item one or two days earlier, than if I have it delivered to my house! Very strange!
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #33

Non-prime orders are going to vary in ship time depending on the warehouse busy-ness. Prime and Next Day orders are going to ship first. Free shipping last. everyone else, in between, but they give themselves a window for delivery that is usually 7 days from purchase.

You and I both know if they shipped in 2 days you'd have it in 5, not 7, but that 7 means they have 4 days to get it out to you, so they can treat your non-prime order as lower-priority.

Proximity to warehouse is key - they have them in more than a dozen states now and add more each year. (Yes there's a center in JAX to Tandem).

Amazon a couple of years back didn't fight the Brick and Mortar rule since they are pretty much expecting to operate warehouses in every state before long.

Amazon offers prime on stuff at their warehouses - including stuff that 3rd party sellers send to them and stuff they sell. But also regular 3rd parties can sell prime - "seller fulfilled prime" where the 3p sellers commit to shipping 2 day for free, just like prime. So Prime doesn't mean shipped by amazon all the time.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemlovers View Post
I have found, however, that if I order an item and arrange for it to arrive at my sister's house, which is 1 mile from my house in Jacksonville, FL, I will receive the item one or two days earlier, than if I have it delivered to my house! Very strange!
Your sister gives the carrier a Christmas tip.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #35

Two of my recent prime orders stated--Order by such and such time and have it by a specific date which is two days away. I ordered before the time deadline, but both orders took 5 days. No explanation given. On one of the orders I was given the option to select "no rush 5 day shipping" and receive a $5 discount. Nope, needed that 2 day deal to be on time for a birthday. Still took 5 days.
Missouri started paying tax Feb 1st. No Amazon facility here. Same deal for Arkansas in a few weeks.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote