Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm having the same problem about 50% of the time. It isn't bothering me, since I haven't seen anything yet that interests me even slightly. Still, like the rest of America, I just can't look away. There's always the hope that somewhere on that smoking wreck of a website, lies an amazing deal on the one unknown item that I don't yet know that I want.

It's kind of amazing to see their website falter since normally it is pretty rock solid (for me, anyway).

I waiting to see what Amazon will do to make things right with the shoppers besides the standard "This is on us and we apologize" line .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm having the same problem about 50% of the time. It isn't bothering me, since I haven't seen anything yet that interests me even slightly. Still, like the rest of America, I just can't look away. There's always the hope that somewhere on that smoking wreck of a website, lies an amazing deal on the one unknown item that I don't yet know that I want.

It's kind of amazing to see their website falter since normally it is pretty rock solid (for me, anyway).
No Lexus RX SUV on Prime Day?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

I bought a kindle book .It comes with a 70 percent credit on my next book .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I waiting to see what Amazon will do to make things right with the shoppers besides the standard "This is on us and we apologize" line .
I hadn't thought of that. Wonder what they will come up with?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
No Lexus RX SUV on Prime Day?
Who knows, with all the dog pictures? But I don't think they have any.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I bought a kindle book .It comes with a 70 percent credit on my next book .
Good deal!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I’ve had them for about 4 years. I used to use them a lot more when I was working, with frequent international travel. I haven’t used them as much since I retired, but no issues so far. Great sound and very good noise reduction on planes.
Thanks, I'm still thinking about them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #48

Woohoo! DW gave permission for the Vitamix blender at $250 off (still $300 at that). The 1983 vintage Osterizer gave up the ghost the other day, smelling of ozone.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The deals are generally "while supplies last", so supplies will just last a little longer. I'm not sure there's anything to make up for in this case.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Lotta dogs on amazon, it's a dog friendly place!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Cobra - I use Fire TV devices, along with sound bars and A/V receivers. I control everything (including the Fire TV) with a single Logitech Harmony hub-based remote. Works well and eliminates juggling remotes. I think I saw the Harmony remote on sale today at Amazon.
Yeah, I've looked into that previously. But DW and I really like the feel and simplicity of the Fire TV remote. We bought a sideclick for it to control the AVR and power-down the TV, but that sort-of compromised the simplicity of the design. But as I said, we've been increasingly using the Echo for voice control of the Fire TV. So my goal with the Cube is to possibly eliminate the use of a remote altogether and also increase the number of devices I can control by voice.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Some of those deals are going very quickly, so act fast if you want them! Maybe that's a good thing, because mostly it's stuff you probably don't really need.

For example, I was looking at the Oontz Angle 3 Ultra. The deal went active at 8:15. I actually set an alarm to make sure I looked at this, which I did at 8:16. It was 27% claimed. I put one in my cart, which gave me 15 minutes to check out. So I got mine. Then I read about how pairing them can give you really good sound, so I thought seriously about a second one. No dice. 10-15 minutes later, I think it was, the deal was gone.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Found a workaround, if you go to smile.amazon.com it seems to work (this is their landing page for defining a charity of your choice to which a portion of your purchases will be sent).
Everybody should use smile.amazon.com automatically. Even if you don't like charity just pick a charity. It doesn't cost anything and the charities get a few pennies and those pennies add up!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Everybody should use smile.amazon.com automatically. Even if you don't like charity just pick a charity. It doesn't cost anything and the charities get a few pennies and those pennies add up!
I keep forgetting to go through smile (though I did remember today). Your charity only gets the benefit if you go through that portal, or does it work anyway if you just use www. ?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I keep forgetting to go through smile (though I did remember today). Your charity only gets the benefit if you go through that portal, or does it work anyway if you just use www. ?
I believe you have to go to smile for charities to get the credit. Thus no credit when using the app I think.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I looked and didn't see anything I needed or want. I am old enough to know that today's tech is tomorrow's trash.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #57

8" Fire tablet died last week so I got another today for less than $50.
Not a great tablet, but good for the price.
Can't break these frugal habits.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

40% off Fitbit (Alta HR) -- still good for the next 25 hours.
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I had been waiting for today to buy an Echo and Echo Plus. We had bought some Echo Shows recently as we moved into our new house. But, I had 2 rooms I wanted to put in an Echo and Echo Plus. You should never pay retail for any Alexa device. Usually Amazon rotates around the sales, though. As we got closer to Prime Day I decided to wait to buy the Echo and Echo Plus. That paid off was the Echo was $30 off and the Plus was $50 off. I also went to the Whole Foods yesterday and spent $10 to get a $10 credit to use on prime day (yes, they were things we would have bought anyway).

The only thing I bought that was unplanned was an Egg Cooker. I had seen it a few months ago and almost bought it then. But, it was when we were getting ready to move so I didn't want to buy anything knew. Now that we had moved and it was on sale it was a good time to go ahead and get it.

Oh - I bought a Kindle book and got 30% of that off on a second book. Again, both books I would buy anyway.

I didn't do the 75% one as I didn't really want to read any of the books.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #60

I got the 6-quart instant pot and a couple of the Bose headphones.