Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Prime vs Netflix
Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon Prime vs Netflix

I just bought a new computer in parts form. Some parts from Newegg and some from Amazon. I took advantage of the free 30 day trial offer of Amazon Prime to get the free two day shipping and bonus movie streaming.

I tried out the free movies feature. I have a DVD player that cooperates with Amazon so I can watch the free movies on that.

Amazon claims that they have 41K titles in their streaming library. Netflix claims 12K. I had to call Netflix and ask. They hide it.

So for Netflix streaming I'm paying $95.88 per year. For Amazon, should I keep it and cancel Netflix, I'd pay $79.00 per year, get more choices in titles, and get free two day shipping (which I'd use a real lot as I literally buy everything except most of my food online)?

Is there something I am missing? It seems to be so much of a better deal for Amazon Prime that there must be some defect that I am missing out on.

I would prefer to keep the discussion between Netflix and Amazon for now.

Thanks,
Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Netflix, Weinstein Co To "Reinvent" Pay-TV Experience With New Multi-Year Pact - Deadline.com

Current news leaks say Netflix planning for 5X increase. No commitment on Netflix.

try this:About - from instantwatcher.com
Despite the big Hulu ad at the top of the page, Instant Watcher is for Netflix... an easy way to find out about the selections available. It offers more info than than Netflix itself.

Hulu Plus is not Ad Free, as is Netflix.
http://www.hulu.com/support/article/20356372

Today on CNBC:
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000192746&play=1

My Opinion Only
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had Netflix, I have Amazon prime now. I'd make a list of movies and TV shows you like, and see how they really stack up. Amazon may have more, but I don't find their selection quality as good. It is good enough for me because I also like Prime shipping plus the free Kindle book every month, but for the last time I really compared them, I'd have gone with Netflix for video alone.

Also see if you are happy with how to access your watchlist on your DVD player. I can't on my TV, so I have to search for everything. Netflix was a lot nicer because of it's queue that I could prioritize on my laptop and see in that order on the screen. Netflix wins on this one, but from what I understand some devices interact better with Amazon than others.

Netflix is also nicer in that you can stop it for awhile if you'll be gone or don't want it during summer or whatever. Not sure if they prorate months or if you get hit for the full month you start, and maybe they don't even do this anymore, but they did. I'm pretty sure with Amazon you have it for the full year.

You could always do Amazon for a year and switch to Netflix if there are titles only found there that you like. With the service already built into your DVD player there is no equipment to buy, assuming it also plays with Netflix.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have both, but I seem to end up on Netflix a bit more for streaming. Even ignoring Amazon's streaming though, I buy from Amazon regularly, and I save more in shipping costs than the yearly costs of Amazon and Netflix combined. It's a very worthwhile service.

Amazon seems to have big named movies more often and earlier than Netflix, but Netflix has a larger selection of prime time TV shows.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Does Netflix offer 2 day shipping of packages?

I only have Amazon Prime for videos so can't compare the two on that point.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everything you find on Netflix is no extra cost. With Amazon, free and pay-extra content is mixed together in listings, forcing you to sort through to find the titles you've already paid for.

With Amazon Prime, your order may be shipped via different (substandard) carriers. Too many lost packages, noisy deliveries at odd hours of the night, and boxes left in the rain for my preferences. It's not possible to sign up for streaming alone, that is, keep normal delivery, which for orders over $25 is free anyhow if you allow a possible few extra days for delivery.

Once you sign up for Amazon Prime, their regular shopping site works differently, and is buggy.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

I had both for a while but ended up using Netflix 90% of the time. I just preferred their selection.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
With Amazon Prime, your order may be shipped via different (substandard) carriers. Too many lost packages, noisy deliveries at odd hours of the night, and boxes left in the rain for my preferences. It's not possible to sign up for streaming alone, that is, keep normal delivery, which for orders over $25 is free anyhow if you allow a possible few extra days for delivery.

Once you sign up for Amazon Prime, their regular shopping site works differently, and is buggy.
I haven't had any single one of those issues over the years, possibly because I live in a major city? O_o That sucks!
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have both Prime and Netflix. I usually just watch Netflix. The kids have their own TV and I noticed they usually just watch Netflix, too.

I pay for two DVDs by mail with Netflix to get some of the newer releases and special interest DVDs. It is pretty cheap entertainment on a cost per hour basis.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH recently did the one month trial with Amazon Prime, but cancelled before the month was up. We always get an order up to $25 for free shipping from Amazon and are not interested in the free book monthly. DH really prefers Netflix.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We have both and enjoy both. There are enough differences in content that the cost/benefit ratio is pretty good. We'll see if that remains true as time goes on.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by GrayHare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
I haven't had any single one of those issues over the years, possibly because I live in a major city? O_o That sucks!
And I'm in rural Appalachia, and haven't had a single one of those issues either! It's true that orders over $25 come free (eventually) anyway, but 2 day shipping starts to get really nice once you've had it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Everything you find on Netflix is no extra cost. With Amazon, free and pay-extra content is mixed together in listings, forcing you to sort through to find the titles you've already paid for.

My observations with Prime are different, its UPS or Fed Ex. Now if you happen to be in a town with an Amazon distribution center it might be different.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have not had any issues with Prime being buggy, nor with misplaced deliveries. We get packages from Amazon pretty much weekly and offhand can't recall a single issue. Sorry to hear you have had such bad experiences.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
We have both and enjoy both. There are enough differences in content
And I believe that's the long-term trend: The various streaming services are going to start trying to differentiate on the basis of exclusivity deals, so you'll need three or four services in order to have access to all the content being made available, just like you need access to a number of television stations to access all the content. In the long-run, it probably will not end up with streaming being superior in price to cable/satellite packages, for access to first-run television dramas and comedies.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We have Netflix but decided to add Amazon Prime and see how things go for the next year. We saved about a third of the Prime yearly cost during the 30 day trial so we figured we were ahead so far. We can easily find an additional $7 in savings somewhere else in our budget to cover the cost, if needed.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

If you like to watch tv shows, this link is awesome. I did an excel dump and then scanned through it ticking the ones amazon had (97 of 169) that interested me. (see the checkboxes in refine search on the right near the top).

IMDb: Every Netflix TV Series Sorted by IMDB Ranking - a list by Pacey7

We use prime for shipping. I have a 3 month coupon to Netflix from the Chromecast I bought, but we have not activated it yet. NF definitely has a better selection, but there is lots on prime (and cable) too.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #18

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this story I heard on the local news. I heard mention of Netflix getting together with the NFL to stream games starting this fall. I only caught the last half so I don't have any details. May be something in the paper tomorrow. I know that last fall my grandson (ultimate computer geek) told me how to stream games that were blacked out. Sure enough it worked but the video feed was generally bad. I picked up those games, generally the Tampa Bay Buccs, through Googling P2P4U or First Row Sports. I'm not sure how this is done and maybe it's not legal but if Netflix would come on board, the feed would certainly be better. Clue me in!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Netflix, Weinstein Co To "Reinvent" Pay-TV Experience With New Multi-Year Pact - Deadline.com

Current news leaks say Netflix planning for 5X increase. No commitment on Netflix.

try this:About - from instantwatcher.com
Despite the big Hulu ad at the top of the page, Instant Watcher is for Netflix... an easy way to find out about the selections available. It offers more info than than Netflix itself.

Hulu Plus is not Ad Free, as is Netflix.
Why Are There Ads in Hulu Plus? | Support | Hulu

Today on CNBC:
What's fueling Netflix? - CNBC

My Opinion Only
imoldernu, you sure seem to be up on all this new video-streaming technology stuff!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #20

I have had Amazon Prime for several years and have never had a problem with shipping. In fact, I'm continuously amazed at how fast things get to my house. The last time I ordered an item on Sunday night and had it by 3pm on Monday, even though I only asked for the "free" two day shipping.

As for the videos, I've looked through the list in the past and found that while they do have quite a few free ones, the majority of videos they offer are not free. I believe with Netflix once you subscribe anything they have online is included in the price.

Amazon does give you one free book a month, but again from a fairly limited selection of books, and only if you have a true Kindle (not Kindle software on an iPad or Android device). Since I use my iPad to read, I don't get to take advantage of this.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote