Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Returns
Old 12-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon Returns

Somehow I had gotten the impression that returns to Amazon were free.
I recently tried to return a book that was intended as gift to GD. Turns out she already had it so I used the url on the gift receipt to return. I was surprised that they expected me to pay $6 for the UPS shipping.

Has AMZN changed their return policy or did I answer some question wrong.
I didn't see any answer that reflected the real reason for return so I just made a best guess. I eventually called AMZN and got a friendly rep to keep their reputation alive so they paid for the postage and told me that credit would not be the usual after it is received but 2-3days after the call.

The website seems to suggest that only AMZN errors will result in a free return.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
.....The website seems to suggest that only AMZN errors will result in a free return.
This has always been my experience. Wrong or defective item they pay.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Like just about everything in life, it depends. Regular member vs Prime member? 3rd party seller or Amazon (sometimes it's difficult to tell)? Reason? Etc.....etc.....etc......

In this instance, I'm curious why you feel that Amazon should pick up the freight? If you did this at a brick and mortar store, would you expect them to reimburse you for the gas to get to/from?
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
The website seems to suggest that only AMZN errors will result in a free return.
As with travelover that has been my experience as well. Seems reasonable to me, why should they pay for my screwups or misjudgments? Never any hassle returning something that was broken, damaged or DOA out of the box.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #5

This is not new, totally normal. The return reason has to be Amazon-fault (or seller-fault) in the case of 3rd party sellers.

Changed my mind, found a lower price, didn't like it in person, recipient got 2 gifts, no longer needed, etc., - those all result in the customer shipping back on their own dime. Amazon will give you a label and deduct the cost, or you can just ship on your own if you prefer.

Defective, Not as Described, etc., will mean amazon provide a pre-paid return label.

For "all free returns all the time" - that's Zappos, Nordstroms, and a couple of others.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #6

The policy has changed over time.

It used to be that they paid for return shipping for any reason whatsoever.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This thread brings up memories of forum member MuirWannabe and his thread about being banned by Amazon...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ury-92287.html
Old 12-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yep. Depends on the reason of return.

I just happened to return a couple of things today. One was a camera case that was described as medium but when I received was way too small for my camera. I put that down as wrong size. No return charge for that item. Another thing I returned was a camera battery. Package not opened. I did not need. Got charged $7 for return shipping on a $35 battery.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Somehow I had gotten the impression that returns to Amazon were free.
I recently tried to return a book that was intended as gift to GD. Turns out she already had it so I used the url on the gift receipt to return. I was surprised that they expected me to pay $6 for the UPS shipping.

Has AMZN changed their return policy or did I answer some question wrong. (Yes, see below!)

I didn't see any answer that reflected the real reason for return so I just made a best guess. I eventually called AMZN and got a friendly rep to keep their reputation alive so they paid for the postage and told me that credit would not be the usual after it is received but 2-3days after the call.

Over the years I have returned a handful of items to Amazon, and I have never paid for shipping.

One time I checked "no longer needed" as the reason for return, and a shipping charge was added. I changed the reason for return to "item not as described" and the shipping charge disappeared. Since then I have always selected "item not as described" for every return, and return shipping has been free.

Just an FYI for your future returns.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Since then I have always selected "item not as described" for every return, and return shipping has been free.

Just an FYI for your future returns.
Sorry for the soapbox, but as someone who has a small home business selling on amazon (like many thousands out there), that return shipping is often paid by the small seller. So, unless it is actually shipped by amazon, it's that seller who's paying for your return when you pick negative reasons, and too many of those can add up to the seller getting questioned by amazon about their items or service.

Of course, if it's really legit and you are unhappy with the purchase, fire away with "not as described" or "defective", totally cool with it. Like everywhere, there are good eggs and bad. But if you go with a blanket return reason, then good eggs are paying for it just as much, 'cause nothing's ever really free.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

if you are in a situation where Amazon isn't picking up the shipping, I think you can avoid having to pay for the return shipping yourself by simply returning the item to an Amazon locker nearby. Most Whole Foods have one these days.

I use the the Amazon locker even where Amazon is paying for the return shipping. I find it just as convenient to go to Whole Foods as to go to the Post Office, and at Whole Foods I don't have to stand in line.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #12

See if there is somewhere you can return the item for free. I’m returning a copy of TurboTax. If I ship it back to them, I have to pay, but during the return process, they had a list of places where I could drop it off and pay no return fees.

It could be that I’m lucky though, since I live near an AmazonFresh pickup and I can return it there for free.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
if you are in a situation where Amazon isn't picking up the shipping, I think you can avoid having to pay for the return shipping yourself by simply returning the item to an Amazon locker nearby. Most Whole Foods have one these days.

I use the the Amazon locker even where Amazon is paying for the return shipping. I find it just as convenient to go to Whole Foods as to go to the Post Office, and at Whole Foods I don't have to stand in line.
I use Amazon locker at a Whole Foods by me when I can especially since there is one about a block and a half away and I go there anyhow to buy stuff (avocados, naval oranges, bananas) often. Unfortunately, seems at least for me, the one by me is only available for returns sometimes but not all the time.

I did pick up an expensive camera at the Amazon Locker at my nearby Whole Foods recently which was quite handy.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #14

Thanks to all for your replies. Hopefully this thread will be as useful to some others as it was for me. I know we've returned stuff before for free but what and the reasons escape me at this moment.......everything's starting to go so what can you expect

Checked out the Amazon Lockers around here......seems like Safeway and 7-11 are the most common. They won't be closer than Amazon's UPS but they will be as close..........so thanks for that tip.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
In this instance, I'm curious why you feel that Amazon should pick up the freight? If you did this at a brick and mortar store, would you expect them to reimburse you for the gas to get to/from?
Gas would be about 2/10 ths of a gal, so about 25 cents for me, so the $6.00 seems like profit in this case.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Been this way as long as I can remember. When you buy something some stuff says free returns, others don't. For those who decide to lie on their return worksheet to get a free return, ethics aside, consider that you may be ruining it for the rest of us in the future.
fasteddie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Well....I'm in the same boat and would've been surprised also when I finally got around to starting the return process. I checked "item not needed" and "good condition" and they wanted $5.99 for the return via UPS or whatever rate I can get from another shipper if I pay. The free return to an Amazon location seems to be excluding the Whole Foods locations nearby.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Kohl's takes Amazon returns.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Like just about everything in life, it depends. Regular member vs Prime member? ..........................
Does Prime make a difference here?
Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does Prime make a difference here?
I'm a Prime member and still pay for certain returns (like the brand new camera battery that I did not need).