Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought Jessica's first song was awesome. Her last song it seemed to me like she did the best that could be done with a bad song. I hope she will win and that Hollie and Joshua fan's would lean more towards her than Phillip.

Phillip seems like a nice young guy, has a nice personality, and is entertaining, but this is a singing competition and IMO the voice is ok, but not great. That said, he'll probably get a lot of teeny-bopper votes and may well win the thing.

A great season for sure. Steven Tyler could be done without hurting my feelings.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I thought Jessica's first song was awesome. Her last song it seemed to me like she did the best that could be done with a bad song. I hope she will win and that Hollie and Joshua fan's would lean more towards her than Phillip.

Phillip seems like a nice young guy, has a nice personality, and is entertaining, but this is a singing competition and IMO the voice is ok, but not great. That said, he'll probably get a lot of teeny-bopper votes and may well win the thing.

A great season for sure. Steven Tyler could be done without hurting my feelings.
+1 on everything but Steven Tyler, whose comments I enjoy for some reason.

I think Jessica was terrific and I loved her first song, but Philip will probably win. It would be hard for a kid still in school like Jessica to fulfill all the requirements of being an American Idol. Often the runner-up seems to have as good or better future career as does the winner anyway, so no matter who wins I think both Jessica and Philip will do well.

Last night our local news interviewed Joshua again, and he indicated that he has something (I would imagine a record deal) in the works but wasn't allowed to reveal the specifics yet. I am glad, because I think he is an amazingly gifted singer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Phillips final song last night was awful and a nothing in my opinion and I just can't believe how the judges swooned over that one. The officiating this season leaves me disgusted.
Well, I have to disagree. I think PP has a hit with "Home". If you looked close you could see $$ signs in Jimmy V's eyes.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #204
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Well, I have to disagree. I think PP has a hit with "Home". If you looked close you could see $$ signs in Jimmy V's eyes.
I won't be buying any of his records, but Jessica on the other hand maybe
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #205

Quote:
I won't be buying any of his records, but Jessica on the other hand maybe
Well, that's why tonight will be so interesting. However, you may be disappointed.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #206
gone traveling

Phillip hit it out of the park last night. I kept thinking he reminds me of Roy Orbison.
skipro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #207

I thought only the Top 10 go on tour. But when the gang was "singing the phone book" on tonight's finale show, the ten who were singing did not include Jessica or Phillip. I guess two of those singing in that group do not go on the summer tour, is that right?
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
I thought only the Top 10 go on tour. But when the gang was "singing the phone book" on tonight's finale show, the ten who were singing did not include Jessica or Phillip. I guess two of those singing in that group do not go on the summer tour, is that right?
Right.

I assumed that Jessica and Phiilip have a lot of other singing to do tonight, so they are getting dressed and prepped for what lies ahead. I noticed that earlier Philip did not sing with the guys of the top 12, whereas Jessica did sing with the girls of the top 12.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #209

WOW! What a performance!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude
WOW! What a performance!!!!
Great show!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #211
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fun show---made up for Tuesday's snoozefest.

How sad is Neil Diamond? He's completely lost his voice and yet he's going on tour and still performing live on TV?

Aerosmith, on the other hand, can still rock!

Blown away by Jessica's poise.

Thought Hollie actually sings better than Jordin Sparks!

Can't believe JLo is even thinking about leaving Idol...where else will she have such a vehicle to promote herself?

I hope that P2 finally gets the medical treatment he needs. He was the first contestant that I can remember who couldn't finish his coronation song. While I appreciate that he was overcome with emotion and just wanted to be with his family, I hope that he is physically and emotionally well enough to withstand the rigors of the tour. I noticed that he was keeping a low profile during the finale...possibly he is in a lot of pain.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #212
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Well, that's why tonight will be so interesting. However, you may be disappointed.
Are you gloating this morning. I wasn't surprised by the outcome, as the teeny boppers (with a little help from the judges) took this for Phillip as predicted. Phillip's a nice young humble fellow, but almost everything he does sounds like Joe Cocker to me who was not one of my favorites. Of the male singers, I liked Joshua the best.

It was interesting that they started off with a Phillip and Fogerty duet. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to bring Whitney back to sing with Jessica. Nevertheless, I suspect Jessica will have a stellar career.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #213

Quote:
Are you gloating this morning. I wasn't surprised by the outcome, as the teeny boppers (with a little help from the judges) took this for Phillip as predicted. Phillip's a nice young humble fellow, but almost everything he does sounds like Joe Cocker to me who was not one of my favorites. Of the male singers, I liked Joshua the best.

It was interesting that they started off with a Phillip and Fogerty duet. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to bring Whitney back to sing with Jessica. Nevertheless, I suspect Jessica will have a stellar career.
Gloat, Gloat!. No really, I did not care who won and actually thought Jessica and Joshua had by far the best vocal ability. Jessica's last duet (I forget the other woman) showed just what she could do when pushed by someone her equal. Phillip was just different enough (along with being a musician/songwriter who can carry a tune) to peak peoples interest. Certainly the "tween" girls had a big say. All in all a very good year IMO although I read the ratings for the final were a all time low. Too bad as some people missed a good show.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #214
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Phillips final song last night was awful and a nothing in my opinion and I just can't believe how the judges swooned over that one. The officiating this season leaves me disgusted.
Couldn't agree more. DW and I listened to that song on Tuesday and both were cringing and thought that was the end for PP. We were shocked at the judges response. Makes no sense to me, but I guess the young female vote is pretty powerful.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Just heard that Steven Tyler will not be returning to Idol as a judge. Good news IMO as he was a bit flaky. I do have to give him credit for calling out Heejun for his antics last season.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #216
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just heard that Steven Tyler will not be returning to Idol as a judge. Good news IMO as he was a bit flaky. I do have to give him credit for calling out Heejun for his antics last season.
Heard on the radio this morning that Randy too, may not be back, and that JLo was hedging to push for more $$$.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #217

I'm available if they need a new judge. Regarding the singers, my opinions run freely and it's amazing how accurate all my judgements are. At least that's my opinion about my opinions.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Randy and J-Lo are under contract. Steven Tyler was the only reason to watch when Simon left............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #219
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read somewhere that Adam Lambert was going to be a judge.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #220
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Randy and J-Lo are under contract. Steven Tyler was the only reason to watch when Simon left............
Of course contracts can be broken. This confirms what I heard on the radio, guess we will have to wait and see:

Steven Tyler quits American Idol after two seasons | Mail Online