Join Early Retirement Today

American Masters
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

American Masters

The PBS program American Masters broadcast a great episode about Cab Calloway locally this afternoon. That program is one of my favorites - my DVR is set to record all episodes. You can also view some online at:

American Masters | Watch Online | PBS Video

A few others I really liked were "Troubadors", "Johnny Carson: King of Late Night", and "The Day Carl Sandburg Died".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just watched Cab Calloway on the computer. Great!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting! I've started it and will watch it all later.

DW & I saw Cab back in the mid to late 80's, and he was great. You had to make some minor allowance for his age, but you are really there to honor the history and the man, and of course he will have a great band with him. As I recall, he was really still in very good voice. He held that note in 'Minnie' for a loud and long time, but a critic might say his voice cracked just a little. Who cares? It's Cab Calloway!

Ahh, a bit of googling brought it up. Yes, the Auditorium theater, I'm sure this was it:

Cab Calloway, Scat Man Himself, Is Back - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
What: ``Cab Calloway`s Cotton Club Revisited``

Where: The Auditorium Theatre, 70 E. Congress Pkwy.; 922-2110.

When: At 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday

How much: $4-$18.50.
I wonder if I can find my tickets, I try to keep that stuff. But I bet we didn't have the 'high-priced' $18.50 seats! But even the mid-range of that sounds awful cheap, huh? How's that inflation for you!

Good memories.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

DW & I saw Cab back in the mid to late 80's, and he was great. You had to make some minor allowance for his age, but you are really there to honor the history and the man, and of course he will have a great band with him. As I recall, he was really still in very good voice. He held that note in 'Minnie' for a loud and long time, but a critic might say his voice cracked just a little. Who cares? It's Cab Calloway!

-ERD50
That must have been great - wish I'd been there!

The article is very interesting, with a nice description of the show.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That must have been great - wish I'd been there!

The article is very interesting, with a nice description of the show.
Yes, it was great. I just finished watching the whole video - that was really well done, and it did bring back memories. And I learned a lot too. I didn't know about the Porgy & Bess connection. I like the one description of how he could clown around, but not make a clown of himself. He seems like a really smart guy that navigated some tough waters/times in a very classy and wise way.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I watched the one on Johnny Carson and it was excellent. Quite a complex guy. Brought back fond memories.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This isn't American Masters, but I like those biographical documentaries, and there is a great DVD boxed set of films by Ken Burns called American Lives. It covers the following people/topics:

• "Unforgivable Blackness": the story of Jack Johnson, who was the first black heavyweight champion. Not an easy task, given that he fought during the early 20th century. The Great White Hope is based on Johnson's life.
  • Mark Twain: a fascinating look at his life and humor.
  • Frank Lloyd Wright: maybe the greatest American architect who led a life of creativity and drama.
  • Thomas Jefferson: what can you say?
  • Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony: a story of the women's suffrage movement.
  • Lewis & Clark: first to explore the US from east to west.
But the cutest one is called "Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip". Just as Lewis & Clark crossed the country east-to-west, this tells the story of the first person who crossed the country from west to east (SF to NYC). And he was accompanied by a driving goggle-wearing bulldog named Bud. This was all at a time there were almost no cars in the country, let alone roads! You can see a picture of Horatio and Bud here:

Horatio's Drive | PBS

The set is well worth buying or renting/streaming.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The film Salinger was recently released and some friends and I are planning to go see it (we're big fans).

I just read that it will be shown on American Masters in 2014, another opportunity if you miss it in theaters.

http://salingerfilm.com/

Old 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I saw Billie Jean King on Charlie Rose the other night and they mentioned she will be the topic of an upcoming American Masters show next Tuesday night. Looking forward to seeing that one.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I saw Billie Jean King on Charlie Rose the other night and they mentioned she will be the topic of an upcoming American Masters show next Tuesday night. Looking forward to seeing that one.
I saw that too - great interview!

You can't help but admire Billie Jean King. What a woman, a player, and a force!