Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Now

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • In the Future

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
IMHO the 21st Century will be China's. There are lots of things wrong in China, but sheer size, work ethic and tolerance for LBYM are going to propel China to a preeminent position.

As an empire declines there are competing countries that try to fill the void and provide stability in their area. It doesn't go directly from one empire to another. So China might be the next major empire but I think before that; regional empires will occur.

As an empire declines there are competing countries that try to fill the void and provide stability in their area. It doesn't go directly from one empire to another. So China might be the next major empire but I think before that; regional empires will occur.

Well, either way, it'll be interesting!

Well, either way, it'll be interesting!

Ve have a plan - soften em up with Coke, McDonald's, Walmart and then and then - enslave them with credit cards.

Today Kansas, Tommorrow - or ah something like that.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

heh heh heh - ;)

Ve have a plan - soften em up with Coke, McDonald's, Walmart and then and then - enslave them with credit cards.
I think capitalism will triumph over imperialism every time.

The Romans didn't know what they were missing...

I think anyone who believes that we have a decline in American imperialism can't see 100,000 troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Outside the obvious bits of imperialism, we are running smarter operating procedures. We don't actually need to fly our flags on your land, but we continue to have "advisers" and "foreign aid", and our carriers can be next door within a month of your acting naughty. It's really a much smarter way to run an empire.

IMHO the 21st Century will be China's. There are lots of things wrong in China, but sheer size, work ethic and tolerance for LBYM are going to propel China to a preeminent position.

Ahh, but the Chinese government may have learned one too many lessons from the West.

(Complete article) Emphasis added.
Asian countries are beginning to build extensive social-welfare programs like those that long have existed in the West, a move they hope will encourage their people to save less, spend more and help put the region -- and the world -- on a stronger economic footing in the years ahead.
. . .

Analysts have long worried that Asians lack sufficient health, unemployment and other benefits to tide them over when downturns or emergencies occur, or to prepare for old age. Only about 30% of Asia's elderly receive a pension, according to the United Nations. Just 20% of its unemployed have access to unemployment benefits or other work-related social programs.
Partly as a result, Asians tend to save more and spend less of their income than their counterparts in the West. That contributed to the global imbalances that are one cause of the current world recession: U.S. consumers went deep into debt to finance consumption while Asians socked away money and relied on exports to Western consumers.

NA-AZ243_OUTLOO_NS_20090726173339.gif

Social-welfare programs are one way of addressing those imbalances. The idea is that if Asian consumers have more confidence in their governments to take care of them in times of trouble, they will be more willing to spend today, igniting new demand for consumer goods and leaving the world economy less dependent on Western shoppers.
China recently said it will invest $120 billion to improve health care by building clinics and extending basic medical coverage to 90% of its 1.3 billion people within three years.

Well, that oughta fix them. Pile on the government spending and encourage people to stop saving and start shopping.

It's also interesting that in China, a communist country where the state provides all essentials, they have people who don't get medical care. With all the recent talk, one could be forgiven for assuming that lack of universal health coverage was strictly an artifact of capitalism.

Sam, so what you are saying is that we have a bunch of anonymous Asians on this board. Funny, but Dex and T-Al look pretty Caucasian to me.

I think anyone who believes that we have a decline in American imperialism can't see 100,000 troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Outside the obvious bits of imperialism, we are running smarter operating procedures. We don't actually need to fly our flags on your land, but we continue to have "advisers" and "foreign aid", and our carriers can be next door within a month of your acting naughty. It's really a much smarter way to run an empire.
Don't forget the subs.

Back
Top Bottom