Join Early Retirement Today

America's Most and Least Attractive People
Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

America's Most and Least Attractive People

This is one of those annoying slideshows so I spared you the trouble of going through it. Just thought it would be fun to look at. It’s from a survey of readers of Travel and Leisure magazine.

Here’s the link if you’d like to go through the slide show yourself: America's Most and Least Attractive People - Articles - Travel + Leisure

Otherwise, here’s the list….

Most Attractive People
No. 1 Charleston

This South Carolina city bumped off perennial winner Miami this year; have the good-looking people really migrated north? Charlestonians also score high for friendliness, rank second for their classic sense of style, and even make the top 10 for intelligence. To see if it’s all true, just stroll the streets of this quaint city, which also ranks No. 1 for its noteworthy neighborhoods.

Most Attractive People
No. 2 San Diego

Maybe it’s all those sunny blondes in this SoCal city, or just the fact that everyone looks good when the forecast is perfect (its weather ranks No. 1), but San Diego maintains its No. 2 ranking in this category from last year. Certainly the locals take good care of themselves, jogging along the beaches: the city also ranks No. 2 for its athletic citizens.

Most Attractive People
No. 3 Savannah

This newcomer to the America’s Favorite Cities survey makes a bold entrance into this category. The Georgia city also racks up a huge number of No. 2 berths in the survey, thanks in large part to its ever-so-appealing denizens.

Most Attractive People
No. 4 Miami

Who cares if these Floridians don’t come off as brainy or even terribly nice? AFC readers ranked them near the bottom for both friendliness and smarts. But though they’ve lost their grip on the No. 1 ranking in this category, Miamians are still top-five material. Perhaps that’s because they seem to be out at the gym (No. 10 for athletic) or just out shopping. Miami ranks No. 9 for luxury boutiques and No. 3 for style.

Most Attractive People
No. 5 Salt Lake City

Salt Lake is a survey newbie, but that didn’t stop it from cracking the upper echelon of this list. And the Utah natives rank about the same as an overall package: they’re top 10 for being physically active, friendly, and intelligent. They’re a pretty trustworthy bunch too—the city ranks No. 1 for safety.

Most Attractive People
No. 6 Honolulu

Those island breezes toss the hair in a nice way—and no doubt all that hula dancing nicely tones the abs. The locals in the Hawaiian capital rank sixth for staying fit. And if you want to seize the moment, Honolulu is also the No. 1 city for romance.

Most Attractive People
No. 7 San Juan, Puerto Rico

San Juan is one of three newcomers to the survey that cracked the top 10 in this popular category. The locals here certainly know how to charm visitors in many ways: they also made it into the top 10 for friendliness and for dressing to the nines (No. 6 for style).

Most Attractive People
No. 8 Austin

People in the Texas capital are smart (No. 5) and amiable (No. 8 for friendliness), and they stay in shape too (No. 4 for being active). Luckily, it’s fun finding them, too: Austin ranks No. 2 for both its live music and bar scene.

Most Attractive People
No. 9 Denver

Even though the Mile High City ranks second for its microbrews, there’s no need to pack your beer goggles when coming for a visit. (The city did slip three spots from last year in this category, however.) Denver also ranks No. 2 for its parks and outdoor spaces, and the fit locals make the most of it, ranking No. 1 for being athletic.

Most Attractive People
No. 10 Nashville

Something about those cowboy hats must flatter the face—and being able to sing doesn’t hurt either. Music City types don’t go for rhinestones as much as they used to, which maybe helped them land at No. 10 for style. But folks are still plenty country: they rank No. 10 for farmers’ markets and No. 3 for a howdy-there friendliness.

Least Attractive People
No. 10 Santa Fe

Civilized, yes; swinging, not so much. Santa Fe ended up in the middle of this category last year, but has slipped a few spots into this unfortunate position. Still, the New Mexico town still ranks No. 1 for both culture and peace and quiet, and No. 4 for being relaxing.

Least Attractive People
No. 9 Kansas City, MO

Good thing that this city is such a good deal (it ranks No. 3 for being affordable). Like Santa Fe, Kansas City fell squarely in the middle of this list last year but now, not so much. The locals don’t dazzle on smarts (No. 21) either, but they do serve up some good ribs (No. 2 for barbecue).

Least Attractive People
No. 8 Houston

How the mighty can fall: in 2009, Houston finished with the No. 8 most attractive locals. Voters who visited this year, however, clearly feel differently. No matter—it’s hard to compete with an excellent double patty or that juicy brisket. The oil town ranks in the top five for deal-making business hotels, barbecue, and a good burger.

Least Attractive People
No. 7 Portland, ME

Portland is a survey newcomer that didn’t fare so well in this category. Perhaps these Maine residents don’t impress because they’re a blur of blandness: this lobster-loving town ranks last (No. 35) for diversity. And a lobster bib clearly doesn’t count as a good look: locals rate No. 31 for their style. At least they’re a tame crowd: the city ranks second for safety and, perhaps more enticing, No. 5 for a microbrew.

Least Attractive People
No. 6 Washington, D.C.

This hotbed of culture (No. 2) apparently doesn’t attract the hotties—unless you count lobbyists and policy wonks as hot. But hey, it has moved up from the bottom five of this list, where it sat last year. Our nation’s capital also ranks near the bottom for wild weekends and romantic getaways.

Least Attractive People
No. 5 Orlando

There aren’t enough hot moms around to elevate this No. 1 family destination out of its fanny-pack dowdiness. Maybe that’s why it also ranks No. 27 for both romance and friendliness: a good reminder not to cut in line at Magic Mountain.

Least Attractive People
No. 4 Anchorage

Hopefully this is just a starting point for survey newbie Anchorage. The city definitely struggled: all those parkas and hiking boots landed these Alaskans in last place for style. But why bother looking at, or even talking to, the bipedals when there are real live moose walking the city streets? The city ranks a bleak No. 32 for people-watching but a more intriguing No. 12 for public parks.

Least Attractive People
No. 3 Philadelphia

Things are looking up in Philadelphia. The City of Brotherly Love has finished dead last in this category for the past three years. No more! While this year’s finish could have been worse, there’s clearly room to improve. It might be tough, though, with such great pizza nearby: voters named it the fourth-best pie in America.

Least Attractive People
No. 2 Baltimore

AFC readers weren’t smitten with much of anything you’d find while out and about in this harbor city—it also ranks at No. 34 for people-watching, public parks, and safety. What did readers like best about Baltimore? Staying inside, perhaps alone, with a nice beer: it ranks No. 21 for microbrews.

Least Attractive People
No. 1 Memphis

Survey newcomer Memphis has done what no other city could do: grab from Philadelphia the unfortunate title of America’s least attractive people. But hey, who needs to look at a pretty face when there are so many ribs to behold? Memphis ranks No. 1 for its barbecue. Of course, that can be a messy meal, which may be why the city also came in last for a romantic getaway. No wonder they all sing the blues.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Purron, I'm terribly disappointed. Based on the thread title I expected photos of the actual people.

On second thought, perhaps it's best. No reason to chance my photo showing up...
Old 11-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

A pretty face don't make no pretty heart....Robert Palmer

Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At least for once they didn't pick on us here in Pittsburgh. Supposedly we live in the diabetes belt (read "fat) and we all say "Yinz" (instead of "you").
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I thought this was going to be a "best of" Funny Pictures at WalMart
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Purron, I'm terribly disappointed. Based on the thread title I expected photos of the actual people.

On second thought, perhaps it's best. No reason to chance my photo showing up...
In my mind, you look just like this

You're a good guy REWahoo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brad pitt.jpg (28.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, that's me alright...
Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #8

Did you know there is even a book on Walmart's shoppers? Even a WTF chapter in the book, too...wow...sounds like something for everyone for Xmas.

Amazon.com: People of Walmart: Shop and Awe (9781402250712): Andrew Kipple, Adam Kipple, Luke Wherry: Books
Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
In my mind, you look just like this

You're a good guy REWahoo.
Hmmm...well now.

I've got an idea in my mind what some members look like too...
Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Actually we know that those those shy dudes Wahoo and 73 are very good looking guys.

Ha
Old 11-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Actually we know that those those shy dudes Wahoo and 73 are very good looking guys.

Ha
And you too Ha
Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would nominate Malibu #1, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Huntington Beach next, then Westwood Village, midtown Manhattan (NYC), and Beverly Hills. Certainly not Seattle, unless you really like that "I just returned from snowshoeing" look. Or even worse, the hipster look- bad complexion, no behind, muffin top, weird hair and a cigarette.

Years ago I left Boston and only stopped for food gas, etc until I got to the Pacific Ocean. I got off I-10 and headed north on the Pacific Coast Highway until I got to Malibu.

Then I was content.

I haven't been to Savannah or Charleston since I was a little boy, but it sounds like a really nice place to visit!

Ha
Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I know. And I look just like Angelina Jolie...in my dreams!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angelina.jpg (118.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would nominate Malibu #1, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Huntington Beach next, then Westwood Village, midtown Manhattan (NYC), and Beverly Hills.
Had a rental in Manhattan Beach when I was straight out of college. Jogging on the boardwalk after work was usually the highlight of my day and it wasn't just because of the nice ocean view.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Least Attractive People
No. 7 Portland, ME

Portland is a survey newcomer that didn’t fare so well in this category. Perhaps these Maine residents don’t impress because they’re a blur of blandness: this lobster-loving town ranks last (No. 35) for diversity. And a lobster bib clearly doesn’t count as a good look: locals rate No. 31 for their style. At least they’re a tame crowd: the city ranks second for safety and, perhaps more enticing, No. 5 for a microbrew.
But "the girls all get prettier at closin time!"
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Most cities have soul, but Dallas must have been at the bank when they passed it around...

Austin Lounge Lizards

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
That pic doesn´t do you justice!!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is one of those annoying slideshows so I spared you the trouble of going through it. Just thought it would be fun to look at. It’s from a survey of readers of Travel and Leisure magazine.

Here’s the link if you’d like to go through the slide show yourself: America's Most and Least Attractive People - Articles - Travel + Leisure

Otherwise, here’s the list….

Most Attractive People
No. 1 Charleston

This South Carolina city bumped off perennial winner Miami this year; have the good-looking people really migrated north? Charlestonians also score high for friendliness, rank second for their classic sense of style, and even make the top 10 for intelligence. To see if it’s all true, just stroll the streets of this quaint city, which also ranks No. 1 for its noteworthy neighborhoods.

So looks like you can stop reading here, in my own fair city. But I promise you that we have those People of Walmart here as well, but they don't let them go downtown.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
So looks like you can stop reading here, in my own fair city. But I promise you that we have those People of Walmart here as well, but they don't let them go downtown.
Most beautiful people plus a favorable tax climate for retirees? DH and I need to look at Charleston! Here we are in a suburb of DC - #6 on the least attractive list. No surprise DC is often referred to as "Hollywood for Ugly People"
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most beautiful people plus a favorable tax climate for retirees? DH and I need to look at Charleston! Here we are in a suburb of DC - #6 on the least attractive list. No surprise DC is often referred to as "Hollywood for Ugly People"
Unattractive? Occasionally. Financially secure? Often.

Ha