Join Early Retirement Today

Amex Gold Card
Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Amex Gold Card

Got an offer in the mail today for the Gold card. The only reason I read the pitch was because they were offering 2 free airline tickets and waving the $150 annual fee for the 1st yr.

I was thinking to get the free tickets and cancel before the 1st yr was up.

Has anyone tried this offer? Is it legit or is using the tickets more trouble then it's worth?

My wife and I could each open are own account and get 4 airline tickets. I think we only have to charge $500 each by Aug 31st - and that's not a problem.

Anyone?
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Read the fine print. I got a "free" hotel room for signing up for autopay and the strings attached were absolutely ridiculous.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've given up on Amex. Just can't seem to get anyone on the phone who understands English.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Got an offer in the mail today for the Gold card. The only reason I read the pitch was because they were offering 2 free airline tickets and waving the $150 annual fee for the 1st yr.

I was thinking to get the free tickets and cancel before the 1st yr was up.

Has anyone tried this offer? Is it legit or is using the tickets more trouble then it's worth?

My wife and I could each open are own account and get 4 airline tickets. I think we only have to charge $500 each by Aug 31st - and that's not a problem.

Anyone?
I have done this offer and it's totally legit.

Cancelled after one year with no problems
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #5

I have done it as well...probably just get points that can be used also for gift cards....home despot is a favorite...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies...

Looks like there is a .0004 per point conversion fee to use points and an unspecified service charge.

I also would have to use the points somewhere between dec 07 - jun 08, which may be a problem for me.

I'll have to call and try to get all my questions answered.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #7

combined mine with some other offers they gave me at I got $600 in Home Depot gift cards.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a good idea!

What could I get with 100,000 points? It's hard verifying anything from their website. I guess I have nothing to lose to try it.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
That's a good idea!

What could I get with 100,000 points? It's hard verifying anything from their website. I guess I have nothing to lose to try it.
You could get $1000 in home depot cards or lots of other stuff.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #10

I would pass on the deal if you cant quickly figure it out and after folks explaining...not worth getting hit with fees....
Old 06-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am passing on the airline tickets. But I'll take a $100 gift card per 10,000 points.

Found out today from someone I know who has the gold card how it all works. He said skip the airline stuff and get the home depot gift cards for $1000 - same as saluki9 suggested.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to give an update...We got our $1000 in reward points today. Never had a free spending spree like this before. Merry xmas!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Just to give an update...We got our $1000 in reward points today. Never had a free spending spree like this before. Merry xmas!
Wait a minute.....I thought that if something sounded too good to be true, then it probably wasn't true.

This almost fits into that category. Basically you get the card and $1000 for nothing in return
When it's all said and done, that's the way it looks to me. Sounds fishy. Let us know later if there was a catch to it.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Wait a minute.....I thought that if something sounded too good to be true, then it probably wasn't true.

This almost fits into that category. Basically you get the card and $1000 for nothing in return
When it's all said and done, that's the way it looks to me. Sounds fishy. Let us know later if there was a catch to it.
THERE IS NO CATCH! I've done this and spent my cards, then canceled the card.

It's a special offer they give out. I have no idea why I got one but I did.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post

I'd say the only catch, if you want to call it that, is after the 1st yr there is a $150 per card membership fee. I'm sure people get hit with with that all the time. However, I'll be canceling my cards well before that.

I got (9) $100 Home Depot gift cards. I'm gonna hang them on the tree as ornaments for the wife, the night before xmas.

I also got $100 in some restaurants cards.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I certainly can't argue with success. You guys are doing great with that.
All I can say is "way to go!"
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #17

I just got the 100,000 point offer today in the mail. Normally I would toss it, but this thread convinced me to do it.