Join Early Retirement Today

Amica Insurance...what do you know?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

My interest was peaked in another thread where Amica Insurance was mentioned as a possible alternative to USAA. Having never heard of them, I spent a few minutes looking over their web page and I have to admit that they seem to sell themselves well ;O)

Anyone here had experience with them? Good? Bad? Claims? Service?

I have ALWAYS dealt with a local agent and moving to an online insurance provider would be a BIG step for me....

Any reason NOT to "get a quote" (I have always thought they'd clog my email, mail box, etc trying to close the deal if I do NOT buy)?

Thanks for you insight!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just saved 1,200 from moving my car insurance from amica to New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance. to be fair NJM had my homeowners as well but others were less for car insurance. They said I had a small accident a few years ago but it did not matter to the other companies.
maloney50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had Amica for one year, then when I re-shoppped my rates, they were no longer cheapest. They are the only company that I have ever insured through that sent a guy out to verify that I had circuit breakers and not fuses in my electrical service box. Consumer Reports gives them high ratings for service, as I recall.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They are a mutual company. I've never had a year go by without some kind of premium rebate being sent. Around 10% of the annual cost, IIRC. Include that in your calculations when comparing another carrier with similar premium quotes.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #5

I have had my homeowner's insurance through AMICA for a number of years. My parents have used them in Florida and their claims service was excellent when they had a little roof damage from a hurricane.

I've learned from personal experience and from others in the forum that insurance rates can vary widely from one year to the next. Always get updated quotes from several insurers at least every few years.

Definitely get a quote from them. I dont' think they'd inundate you if you just ask for 1 quote.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #6

I've had Amica for too long. I have auto/home/umbrella with them and every year my rates go up. This year it was 20%. I've never made any claims. This year I've gotten serious about getting quotes elsewhere and it looks like I can save about 25% going elsewhere. So far Hartford is cheapest overall, but I know little about them as a company. Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone has experience with them I'd love to hear it (feel free to PM me).

As for Amica, if they give you a good rate, then they're not a bad option, but expect your premiums to increase every year.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

BIL was VP of Amica many years ago, and even then, the company was highly respected for integity and customer care. He started out as a claims manager, and I recall being impressed by his closeness to his clients, and personal attention that he gave to their needs. Somewhat unusual even in those days. It was a hallmark of the company, and in no small way a responsible for the success and the companys' approval rating.

He also lived about a mile away from the corporate offices.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had Amica for about 15 years. In that time I've had 1 homeowners hail damage claim and 1 auto claim - accident not my fault that they subrogated to collect from the other driver's insurance. They handled both claims very promptly and fairly. And as far as I can tell never raised my rates for either.

They aren't the cheapest, but because they're a mutually owned company I don't think they're overcharging me for the quality service I get. Highly recommend!
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm an Amica Amigo with a multi line policy. I've had one auto claim (some fool sideswiped my car while parked and drove away). Amica handled all necessary body work promptly after sending a guy out to see and document the damage. They were friendly and professional, no charge to me or rate change from that.

They haven't spammed me by email at all, but occasionally send paper mail about life insurance.

My former insurance company (State Farm) sends me frequent junk paper mail wanting my business, including the local agent that drove me to look elsewhere in the first place.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
gone traveling

You want a good insurance company when bad things happen. There are many companies out there that have very low rates, but are cheapskates, frustrating to deal with and will do everything possible to minimize their potential payouts. That said, IMHO, there is no better company than AMICA when its time to service the insured and pay claims, even very large ones. I believe Consumer Reports rates them #1. I have been insured by AMICA for over 50 years.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 AM   #11

Amica had the best service and the highest prices of those we researched.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote