AMZN Prime STORE card vs AMZN PRIME VISA

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have both and had decided to use the STORE card because the rewards are immediate each month (no need to wait for some minimum value to redeem as I believe the VISA requires). Today I got the STORE card statement and there were 2 mini-charges and one for $200. Rewards were 5% for the mini-charges
but nothing for the $200.

After some calling around the conclusion was that the $200 was for some golf shop DW bought stuff from which was using AMZN only to handle the payments. In fact the other charges are called AMZN RETAIL and AMZN MARKETPLACE but the big charge is called AMZN PAYMENTS for which there are 0 rewards because it wasn't bought from AMZN (STORE card).

I assume if the golf shop had accepted the AMZN VISA under the AMZN PAYMENTS umbrella, we would at least have gotten 1%? Now I am rethinking the VISA vs STORE card situation. I guess waiting a bit to get to some minimum rewards level is more acceptable and earning at least 1% w/ the VISA is better than not earning anything because of this AMZN PAYMENTS DEAL w/ the STORE card. For AMZN purchases, both earn 5%.

Your conclusion about which to use might be different but am I understanding things correctly?

Yes, if you are using Amazon payments through retailers other than Amazon, you won't qualify for the 5% credit.

We prefer the 5% Amazon Store card because of the instant rebates rather than the points towards future Amazon purchases offered by the Chase Amazon VISA, but we only use it on Amazon. We generally use a different card, like the 2% Fidelity card, go online purchases from other retailers.

audreyh1.........thanks for confirming my new found knowledge. AMZN customer service was quite reasonable. After they admitted that it kind of looks like you are going thru AMZN (log in/payment method), they gave a courtesy credit which, although it wasn't 5% of purchase, was better (slightly) than if I had used the Fidelity card.

I have the Amazon Visa card, and I shop a lot at Amazon so it is my default card and I use my rewards there as soon as they appear. I don't keep very close track of them any more. Today I was THRILLED to discover that I got $44.67 off my Amazon Pantry box by using rewards. Happy Days are Here Again.. :D The more I spend, the more rewards I get. I feel like Pavlov's dog.

I like my Amazon Visa because it is my only credit card and I can use it for gas or other purchases too. I don't think I could do that with the Amazon Store card.

I have the Chase Amazon VISA and only use it on Amazon for 5%. I liked the $70 instant credit I received as soon as I applied.

I've found the Amazon Visa card to be more worthwhile, because I can use that cash back however I see fit. It makes more sense to purchase items on Amazon with the card not using the reward points, so that the full purchase price earns more reward points. Then I can turn around and use that 5% back as a statement credit, or transfer cash to my checking account. Yeah, you need $20.00 (2,000 points) to do it, but I shop at Amazon enough that I hit that several times a year.

OP here.....just to make sure I understand the AMZN Prime store card.......
if I start with the AMZN site, I will always end up buying from AMZN or the AMZN marketplace, both of which get 5% on the AMZN Prime store card?
Only if I start with another site which leads to AMZN payments will I not get the 5%?

If so, then like audrey, I would conclude that (as long as I can avoid the dumb thing we did), that the AMZN Prime store card has the immediate benefit of giving you 5% each month. The AMZN Prime VISA gives you 5% rewards but they are not realized until you use them. If you use them as a credit against a purchase you reduce your effective reward .e.g. if your reward is enough to get you the item free, you get no rewards on that purchase. As several have said you only get the full value of the VISA if you use the rewards as a statement credit (or get cash) which may have some delay since you need to meet a $20? minimum.

edit to add: if I have a GC or that $70 bribe I took for getting the AMZN VISA, I have been using that as credit against the purchase. Could I also have used that as a statement credit?

Last edited:
I just got an email that Amazon changed the default behavior of the store card, to make it be used for purchases rather than a credit on my balance. As noted above, this means you don't get the 5% back on the purchase made with the rewards. You can login and switch it back to the other way, which I did.

I do need to pay more attention to whether I'm buying from Amazon or another reseller, and use a different CC in the latter case.

Back
Top Bottom