An Odd Inheritance

DW received low 5 figures from her uncle who had no children.

As a child, I was extremely close to my mother's parents but I might have seen my father's parents once or twice a year, if that.
And they only lived a quarter mile away. They were just very distant and not warm people. I'd meet my grandmother on the street and she wouldn't know who I was...a bit harsh when you're 9 years old.

In this case, DW was from a large Boston Irish family. This guy apparently never married, lived alone and more or less shunned the rest of the family. He was DWs grandfather's cousin it seems.

Similar. I was very close to my maternal grandmother and she passed right after I finished college. I remember my paternal grandmother, but she passed when I was only 6 or 7 years old and I don't recall her being all that friendly. Dad's sisters lived with her and they also passed a few years later, but we didn't see them all that often even though they lived nearby.

In my own case, my Dad had a ton of kiddos between his first wife and my mom. The net result is that I'm an uncle, great-uncle or great-great-uncle to a small army. I know the names of all of my nieces/nephews but very few of my great nieces/nephews or their spouses and probably wouldn't recognize any of them if I happened upon them...

Cheers
Big-Papa

I had a boss who, 35years ago or so, had a SIL whose father passed away.

There were three girls in the family. In this country women did not take part in the business affairs of men (Lebanon).

She got a call from a law firm in Paris. $1.4 mil USD inheritance for the three sisters. Please advise of what bank to forward the monies to.

She did. Money arrived. 1.4 USD. Her bank called her since the amount was considerably more that she had advised them. Surprise... she only expected 1/3 since it was to be split three ways.

She called the law firm in Paris. There was a misunderstanding.

The immediate cash amount was $1.4M USD each. That was just the liquid cash. There was another $8-10M in securities and property that would have to be realized and split among the three daughters.

Last edited:
I had a boss who, 35years ago or so, had a SIL whose father passed away.

There were three girls in the family. In this country women did not take part in the business affairs of men (Lebanon).

She got a call from a law firm in Paris. $1.4 mil USD inheritance for the three sisters. Please advise of what bank to forward the monies to.

She did. Money arrived. 1.4 USD. Her bank called her since the amount was considerably more that she had advised them. Surprise... she only expected 1/3 since it was to be split three ways.

She called the law firm in Paris. There was a misunderstanding.

The immediate cash amount was $1.4M USD each. That was just the liquid cash. There was another $8-10M in securities and property that would have to be realized and split among the three daughters.

Dang it. My father did not leave me that much. :cool:

Wow. We just received notification that DW is to receive an inheritance from the estate of a great-aunt. The sum of $155.88 will be arriving shortly. Maybe we'll go out to dinner in memory of great-aunt Margaret.

I sure picked the wrong parents. : )

I sure picked the wrong parents. : )

I didn't. Even though I never got any money, my genetic inheritance is part of what allowed me to prosper on my own.

I didn't. Even though I never got any money, my genetic inheritance is part of what allowed me to prosper on my own.

Funny..... I have the opposite view, it's my nurturing that allowed me to succeed.
Had I not been raised by some wonderful parents, I would have stayed with my biological parents, and been like them.... maybe finish grade 10, and then fish and cut trees all my life.

My bil just visited beginning of the month. Conversation came to a weird moment as well. He brought his long term girlfriend since 2016, she moved in during COVID. Anyway he bought in 2021 a condo they moved into but he kept it separated and she doesn't pay anything or buy anything for the condo like the dinner table, ac, grill, chandelier, etc.

Anyway since my in-laws had health scare this year we were chatting about life. I mentioned bil is our executor but not trustee and he does not get our kids. My mom gets the kids and cousin is trustee.

Bil girlfriend was shocked he didn't have life insurance or will. He said why does he need it? He'll be dead. He's 44 single and childless. She said what happens to the house and money. He says he doesn't know or care, he's dead. She looked at us and I said my in laws get everything. She then says what? DH gets everything. I say no his parents do. She's like no way. What about me and the cats? If the in laws get everything then obviously dh gets it next and is more likely to get everything than his parents.

Moral of the story? Without wills or trusts this is how it goes to family who have no idea why they got it. I have no idea maybe my bil is naming her the beneficiary of his 401k or accounts. That overrides the will. But by the same token I can see why he doesn't pay for.life insurance or anything extra.

Back
Top Bottom