Join Early Retirement Today

An Unwanted Visitor named Bill
Old 06-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An Unwanted Visitor named Bill

Well I don't think much of Texas needs the rain but it looks like it's coming anyway with tropical storm Bill. The center is making landfall now along the central Texas coast and the center is expected to head up through central Texas towards the Dallas/FT Worth area and beyond.

We are at least 200 miles from the center right now, where we are located, and we have already seen some of the outer rain bands passing through.

Stay safe.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at work in La Porte, very near Galveston Bay. This morning, we were just having occasional light rain. Since about 11:30, it's been steady light rain with occasional torrential downpours.

I'm probably going to head home soon so I won't get stuck here.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rain? Rain! Sigh.

The beach was nice and foggy this morning.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Rain? Rain! Sigh.

The beach was nice and foggy this morning.
A friend of mine who moved from Houston to California says (mostly seriously) that we need to build a pipeline.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday we had about 1/2" in two rain events from far outer bands. Did not rain after mid afternoon. This morning about 5 AM light rain started. Since then, the rain rate has increased, as has the wind. Not raining all that hard yet, but very steady. The water is showing up in the ditches now, that didn't take long at all, due to being saturated from before, and has had just two weeks or so to dry out, which just dried the top few inches of soil at most. All the lakes are full, at the top of their flood pools. What a difference 6 weeks made!

Center of Bill's circulation now counties away, coming this way.

Predictions of 4 - 5" for today through tomorrow morning.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Similar here in East Texas. (lakes and ponds are full) We got a few rain bands yesterday but surprisingly not that much rain. Late last night it started coming down steady and it has been raining non stop since then. We are on what is considered the "wet side" of the storm so it's expected. No wind to speak of and the center passed by last night less than 100 miles to the west of us. I just checked and noticed the local electric co-op has over 500 meter outages in the 3 or 4 sparsely populated county area they serve. So far, just another rain event for us.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Raining more today than yesterday. In Angelton Tx. Yes we do seriously need a water pipeline to different states. Texas could have used one 3 or 4 years ago when we were in a drought.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

In the Houston area, everyone was in a panic yesterday, and it turned out to be quite benign. At my office in La Porte, it's also raining much harder today. If it keeps up like this, I might have a hard time getting to Beltway 8 for the drive back to my home in Sugar Land.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Egads...having to w*rk and possible flooding.

I've been sitting on my patio watching the birds fly sideways in the wind. The clouds are clipping by at a pretty good pace. 'Bout 2 inches of rain in my Dallas 'burb the last 24 hours.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless it changes in hours to come, it's turning out to be a non-event by me. About 9 AM the rain stopped, only some brief drizzle since then. 1.6" for today so far. Seems Bill had a whole dry area to its spiral, and most of the day I've been in it. The center passed off to the west of me. Wind is gusty, and the sun has come out at times, but not the excess of rain as predicted. Maybe someone else is getting deluged.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Somehow our plane coming to get us from Houston made it to Amsterdam leaving Tuesday at 4:30pm in spite of the storm - a little delayed. And we were delayed landing in Houston due to a complex approach required to dodge all the weather. But less than an hour. Then flight to McAllen some delays plus a longer flying path than usual because more storms had to be dodged. Overall minimal impact. Less than an hour delay in each case.

Raining here now. Bill seems to have left a long stream of unstable tropical moisture in its wake.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #12
gone traveling

The TV weather casters seemed to have the DFW area in the bullseye for 4-9", but I am not sure we even got 2". Never contemplated getting flood insurance before, but this year makes me wonder if it would be wise.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Totals I've seen are 2-3" in the Dallas area, but areas in Montague County, northwest of here, got around 12"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The TV weather casters seemed to have the DFW area in the bullseye for 4-9", but I am not sure we even got 2". Never contemplated getting flood insurance before, but this year makes me wonder if it would be wise.
When I lived in Houston I always kept flood insurance no matter where we lived. Over the years I've seen so many different areas of Houston with flooded houses. It didn't need to be a tropical storm or Hurricane, it just depended on where it rained too much for too long. It's my feeling that there is no place in the Houston area that is totally safe from flooding. Now that we live half way between Houston and Dallas, in a somewhat hilly area, I'm really not worried about it and don't carry flood insurance. I'm pretty sure we will be hearing about people loading animals into Ark's before we see a flood here.

Not sure how the D/FW area compares.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

Not sure how the D/FW area compares.
Agree with you on Houston, but only certain areas in DFW have historically had flooding problems, but if you get 9-12" over a short period of time, it could be a problem for many areas in Texas that have not flooded in the past.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote