Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plastic is made from petroleum. It's fuel. Recycling plastic is difficult and inefficient. Burning it to generate electric power is far easier and makes a lot more sense.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #22

I agree that reduce/reuse are the most important impacts. But I'm not going to forgo recycling just because it's less effective - perhaps almost ineffective - and start tossing paper and plastic, etc., in with regular trash.

It cost me nothing in terms of effort to continue to separate these items (i'm not going to complain about rinsing out a tub first). Just as I'll still hang my towels in a hotel to indicate no need to replace daily. And while no one person can impact the environment, like anything, every little helps. If we all toss our hands in the air that seems defeatist.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Aerides, I totally agree and do the same.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Plastic is made from petroleum. It's fuel. Recycling plastic is difficult and inefficient. Burning it to generate electric power is far easier and makes a lot more sense.
Tires can be recycled the same way. I saw on them doing that in Baghdad on the news last night.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
So, they come up and barter you down to FREE or, they just take it (steal it)? Or, they actually pay you $50
They just take it. Very common where I live.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
For the same reason, you should never vote.
I don't.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
My town recently started cracking down on too much recycling. Apparently, many items heretofore "recycled" were actually being rejected by China, and in turn charged the recycling companies penalties, who in turn are threatening our town (and presumably others)with penalties if we do not comply with the stricter standards.
That changed radically in the last two years. In the beginning they were accepting almost anything, but they have their own waste issues nowadays, so they're no longer willing to accept our poorly sorted and/or contaminated recyclable waste streams anymore. It's no surprise that's happened.

While individuals can't do much, imagine if no one used single use plastic bags, single use plastic bottles or single use plastic straws anymore - that would make a dent. I'm not under any illusion that would ever happen - we could collectively do a lot more, but we won't...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Not this again.

Plastic waste to energy incinerators spew dioxins, furans, heavy metals, et al. They still create toxic ash that ends up in landfills, and those high-temp fires emit more carbon than a coal plant. And they distract us from the real solutions, opponents say, which should be recycling and composting, not simply burning. In some places, communities have to supply a certain amount of garbage to a waste-to-energy plant to keep it in the black – which can mean perfectly good recyclables end up diverted to the flames.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #29
Administrator

This past year there has been a lot of publicity on the real fate of exported UK recycled plastics and the supermarkets are changing some of their practices in response to the bad publicity.

Much of the fresh produce is now sold loose and even the single use paper bags for that produce is not available in our local supermarket, instead one uses see through light fibre mesh bags that you buy for 30p and then use many, many times. We keep them with our reusable shopping bags.

We no longer buy milk in plastic bottles, it comes in glass bottles which are collected and re-used. Even the cardboard boxes we buy our eggs in are returned to be re-used by our local supplier.

We use tablets of soap rather than shower gel and have never used kitchen wipes (Most brands contain plastic but the manufacturers are resisting labeling those that do)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Perhaps you were being sarcastic, but the math in that instance works, too. Outside of local (very local) elections, your single vote doesn't add up to a hill of beans. How many elections (with over 5,000 people voting) has the winner been decided by one vote?
I agree! I think everyone should heed this advice and not vote. (I may choose to disregard it though, for selfish reasons.) But everyone else - please don't waste your time voting!

Also, I'd like everyone else to begin their Social Security benefits at 62.

Thank you.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I don't.
Thank you.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to fear someone/family/friend notice I'm wearing the same clothes. That was when I was young and stupid. Now, if anyone mentions "didn't you wear that at Christmas 5 years ago" haha, I'll feel good saying "And I'll wear it 5 years from now, doesn't it look great?" Clothes shopping isn't in my vocabulary anymore. I wear what I have, at least it still fits.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Thank you.
De nada.

Just out of curiosity, how many Americans will have to skip voting before you believe your vote means anything? For reference, about 140 million voted in 2016. So maybe you have to convince 139,999,900?
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
De nada.

Just out of curiosity, how many Americans will have to skip voting before you believe your vote means anything? For reference, about 140 million voted in 2016. So maybe you have to convince 139,999,900?
Every little bit helps.

When enough people can't be bothered, those of us who actually care will get what we want.