Anatomy of a special meal...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I asked the Mrs. If anyone had a bird on sale (an over stuffer) she got busy but around 4PM I repeated my question. She said Shop Right and 60 minutes later Shallots, Onions, Mushrooms, Carrots and Fingerling Potatoes were all on a roasting pan in the 375 degree oven covered with a little oil, garlic powder and salt. The bird was on another pan above the veggies having been cleaned by the Mrs. The Brussels sprouts were in the 400 degree toaster oven on a toaster oven, cooking nicely.

Maybe an hour and 1/2 later all was done and no fooling it was awesome. We dont go to such lengths regularly but my god a couple hours later the aroma still fills the kitchen. I have to say its a favorite meal of mine..

Do you have a favorite you’d like to shars?

Hoping to get there. Think I mentioned in another thread that I was looking for a enameled cast iron pan. I’ve got three recipes printed out. One beef and two chicken. My hope is that I can make some simple but good one pan meals. In general, my favorite meal is real bbq, but that’s certainly not quick and easy. Plus, if you got out for bbq, the good places are not cheap. So I don’t have bbq very often.

Roast chicken and vegetables is a very good meal though. I bought a roasting pan awhile back, but never got around to putting it to use.

Prime rib, cooked rare, maybe medium rare. Garlic mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. Home baked rye bread. A sip of the spirit of your choice and you and a few friends have got it good.

Ray thanks for posting, that sounds like something I'm going to make again soon.

I have two, one from my DM. Han, leftover or a ham steak, with potatoes and green beans and a little onion. Pressure cook for enough time to cook the potatoes.

Second is Chile Verde, best when someone else roasts the chillies.

We have several, couldn’t pick just one. It’s snowing here today so Älplermagronen comes to mind. We call it mac-n-cheese for grown ups. Our recipe calls for three cheeses, Gruyere, Emmenthaler and Sbrinz (sub Parm).

Last edited:
Shrimp and Grits! It includes shrimp, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, heavy cream, butter, over smoked gouda cheese grits. Not on any diet list!

Mac and cheese made with at least 4 different cheeses (smoked gouda, cream cheese, sharp cheddar, pepper jack are my favs)

Mine is on the Big Green Egg now... tritips smoked Texas brisket style... will wrap in butcher paper at 160° and pull at 205°. Rub is Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    860.4 KB · Views: 44
Our Southern tastes are simple.
Pan fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, fried corn, sliced tomatoes and corn bread cooked in a cast iron skillet (no sugar thank you.)
Dessert would be peach cobbler or banana pudding.

Red wine-braised short ribs
with plenty of onion, carrot, and celery
has been a fave this past winter

For me, Cioppino with Dungeness crab, colossal shrimp, green mussels, fish like mahi-mahi or rock fish, squid.

Come to think of it, I have not had this for a while. Better do it soon while the weather is still cool to eat this heavenly chowder.

See photo from Wikipedia.

By the way, this is one of the first dishes I made when I self-taught cooking, back when I was perhaps 35. The other dish was Cajun blackened fish.

PS. I always start mine with mirepoix stewed for a couple of hours to form a thick sauce with a chicken stock and white wine, before tomato is added. The seafood is added at the end, and has to be timed just right to avoid overcooking.

Cioppino.jpg

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be about airline food.

For me, Cioppino with Dungeness crab, colossal shrimp, green mussels, fish like mahi-mahi or rock fish, squid.

Come to think of it, I have not had this for a while. Better do it soon while the weather is still cool to eat this heavenly chowder.

See photo from Wikipedia.

By the way, this is one of the first dishes I made when I self-taught cooking, back when I was perhaps 35. The other dish was Cajun blackened fish.

PS. I always start mine with mirepoix stewed for a couple of hours to form a thick sauce with a chicken stock and white wine, before tomato is added. The seafood is added at the end, and has to be timed just right to avoid overcooking.
I always enjoy Cioppino. I first make a fish stock out of red snapper heads. I've usually made a gallon when the fish heads are available and frozen in it quarts for later use.

Hope you put saffron in your Cioppino.......

Ribeye or filet, garlic mashed potatoes, and vegetables. Had the filet version of this last night with butter cake at Mastro’s. Superb. I can prepare the meal almost as good myself, but I have no clue on how to make a butter cake.

Lobster risotto. An awful lot of stirring but it is amazing and worth it!

My spouse makes risotto in the pressure cooker. No stirring until you add the seafood and simmer at the end for 2 min, delicious!

My teenager requested Beef Wellington this week. She has expensive tastes, better do well in school!

We have several special dishes.

But probably our biggest celebration meal at home is king crab and drawn butter (gee) often with sautéed spinach and corn on the cob. And champagne/sparkling wine, or Sancerre to drink.

Lamb shanks braised in tomato sauce with saffron risotto and a Tempranillo to drink with it is another favorite. Or really several lamb dishes - grilled rack of lamb or grilled lamb loin chops, roasted potatoes or butternut squash, roasted asparagus, also with Spanish red wine.

I always enjoy Cioppino. I first make a fish stock out of red snapper heads. I've usually made a gallon when the fish heads are available and frozen in it quarts for later use.

Hope you put saffron in your Cioppino.......

Reminds me of a story my wife likes to tell. She was living in Florida at the time and was making some fish stock out of fish heads. Smell was getting a little strong so she slid the patio door open and got back to work. Dusk happened and she started hearing a noise. She looked out on to the patio and there were about 50 pairs of glowing eyes - all meowing. Some were climbing the screen on the patio door. Man, that must have been some smelly stock! :LOL:

Oven Braised "Whatever"- (Fool-proof and easy w/ five minute prep. time)
-------------------------

- 2-3 lbs. of any meat

- Any vegetables you desire

- Any seasonings you enjoy

- Any sauce/liquid you prefer. Enough to come halfway up the side of the meat.

- Place in Dutch Oven, cover top with tin foil to make a tight seal and cover with lid.

- Bake at 350 for 1 hour/ Turn oven to 200 and bake for one additional hour.

- DO NOT open oven door /do not peek /do not stir.

EAT!

Tonight's version - Beef Short Ribs -Sloppy Joe Sauce -A Little Beer-Onions-Carrots-Salt-Pepper-Italian seasoning.

Whatever you cook, it will drive you a bit crazy after the first hour because the house will smell WAY to good...Hence, the DO NOT DISTURB caveat.

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom